Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: September Whole 30!!! Who's with me!?!?! page 18

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just bring a carton of eggs to work and cook them fresh in microwave.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Ellen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    This is what I am hoping for too! I am so tired of calorie counting and precise portion measuring and so forth. This whole 30 I have completely embraced the freedom from calorie counting and food logging and it makes meals SO much more enjoyable.

This is day 9 for me and I believe I have entered ketosis (made a thread about this in Odds and Ends) and I feel so incredible.

Yesterday my promotion at work was made official (became salaried, got a big raise, new title, etc) and my boyfriend and I wanted to celebrate but because I'm whole30 I can't really eat out anywhere.. not worth the effort or the risk. Besides I had AMAZING food at home that I wouldn't have to pay for! But it dawned on me that I have no idea how to reward myself without food. Sad, right?

Hope everyone else is doing great!
    Hey, congratulations on the promotion! I am so in the same boat on celebrations/rewards. Out for dinner, "fun" (alcoholic) drinks, ice cream, etc. All past celebrations involved consuming tasty treats. I could still see doing that after the Whole30, or even on the Whole30 if I were eating nuts and fruit (strawberries and macadamias would be enough of a treat for me!). But, the entire concept of eating being how I celebrate the happy things in life is something I want to move away from, too. I would also love to do things that are inexpensive. I've heard the suggestion to get a massage, a mani/pedi, etc. I'm not looking to spend $60 on one person for my celebration when I used to spend $5 on a pint of Ben & Jerry's and could share it with my husband.

Anyone have any creative ideas for ways to celebrate/reward without food?

Balloons, bars of soap or salts, bulbs if you like gardening, indoor plants, discount tickets to a comedy club, or simply making time to go for a walk or a trip to a used book shop or a library to pick that guilty pleasure novel or a movie... Honestly, it is maybe because we have a young child, but for me celebration does not involve going out, but, erm, staying in while the child is otherwise engaged.

PrimalLizard is offline Junior Member
    Day 14--still doing good. My sinuses are finally clear. I started the whole 30 with a cold which went up into my sinuses. I am very pleased that I didn't end up with a sinus infection (well, not yet anyway). Usually I end up getting a secondary infection and having to go into the doctor for antibiotics. When I start reintroduction, I think I will reintroduce dairy just to see what the effects are. Probably, I will end up limiting dairy for the most part. I don't know that I want to reintroduce grains. I'm pretty sure I'm better without.

I don't know what the scale says, but I can tell I've lost belly fat. Not as much overhang any more. Also I feel much slimmer in the bra fat area. Looking forward to another work out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by butterphly01 View Post
    On Day 6 and trucking along. Feeling good for the most part, except for yesterday my stomach was not agreeing with me at all. I think I might have upped the vegetables too fast, and my body is not handling the fiber. Today I'm feeling better, but sticking to sweet potatoes and meat.
    I also noticed that I'm breaking out a bit, which doesn't happen often for me. I don't want to attribute it to the Whole30 yet, but wonder if it's a detoxing thing, hormonal changes, or perhaps a reaction to upping my consumption of nuts?
    I've read that breaking out can be a detox from whole 30 and then skin improves. I have been breaking out, as well, although I have had acne my whole life since about age 13 so that's not that unusual for me. I'm hoping it will be clearing up for me soon.

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Yesterday my promotion at work was made official (became salaried, got a big raise, new title, etc) and my boyfriend and I wanted to celebrate but because I'm whole30 I can't really eat out anywhere.. not worth the effort or the risk. Besides I had AMAZING food at home that I wouldn't have to pay for! But it dawned on me that I have no idea how to reward myself without food. Sad, right?

Hope everyone else is doing great!
    congrats on your promotion! Leida had some good ideas for rewarding yourself--like with pricier primal foods. It could be something that you've wanted that is small but frivolous or a book or something. I know, I automatically think food for celebration, too.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Day 1... I missed my coffee, but breakfast was fine. The IF thru lunch may have been a mistake, but I don't want anything "non-compliant", just wish I had brought a boiled egg or some beef. I've really trained myself to push thru hunger, you know, to save calories for "dessert". I'm cranky, foggy and out of it....
    It'll get better! I keep some raw almonds in my desk in case of emergency. I haven't needed them since the first week of whole 30 though. I'm going to make my own beef jerky some time soon as well.

jacmac is online now Senior Member
    I agree it is hard to get out of the habit of rewarding ourselves with food and WINE! But some good suggestions have been put forward I must remember them.

Well day 5 for me and its a possibility that the shingles I have are a blessing! My appetite has been low and I have been too sick to have wine anyway so I think I am over that hump.

My daughter who has pcos and is also doing whole 30 with me is in deep ketosis today. I am thinking about hiring a brass band! Actually I am taking her to a big clothing sale this afternoon to buy her a little something, As I type this I realise there are other ways to reward ourselves ( or your mum can ).

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    My day 5 kinda fell apart a bit in the evening, it was all good until I went food shopping to stock up for the next week. Had a shopping list, followed it and then I ended up in the aisle where the nuts are. For some reason I decided a bag of pecans and one of cashews were a good idea. Got home from food shopping, packed everything away and then trouble hit. I was still on the hungry side and had been since finishing dinner (ate before I went shopping), so I decided to have a small tub of sun dried tomatoes, a handful of pecans and most of the bag of cashews. It solved the hungry problem and was all fine by Whole30 rules but it screwed with my calorie count for the day .

Aggh think I need to learn to stress less on the calories front. If stick to the plan for the rest of the week, my week average will ~40g of carbs/ day and a 66%/24%/10% (fat/protein/carbs) spilt for the week which I'll be happy with (numbers dorkiness has calmed me )

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    5 days in. Yesterday, I started to feel dizzy and weak due to "low carb flu". I went for my go to cure and had two cups of bouillon during the day. I immediately felt better.

My sleep is really not great. I have trouble falling asleep. I tried melatonin, but it just made me feel weird. I think that I have to cut out the late afternoon coffee.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Carb flu is annoying. I find that it impacted my endurance, but not strength. Funnily, after I feel totally wiped out by my lifting session, and barely crawl on my elliptical, those 20 min of cardio recharge me a big time. It doesn't even have to be outdoors, though outdoors always helps. I am not sure I understand it completely, but I literally go from considering staying on the gym floor for the rest of the day, to running full tilt getting interval intensities I have not done before. This burst of energy lasts for about 2-3 hours, and then I am completely shot in time for bed. I am keeping fingers crossed that the faint dizziness is going to finally fade away. SOON!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much everyone! What I ended up doing, was buying a massage for myself... I have never had one, but fortuitously I got an email from Living Social offering a 75 minute massage including heated stones, scalp and foot massage for just 39 dollars (normally 100) and that seemed like a really nice treat. I called up my cousin and she bought one too so we will go together and it will be less scary for me. =P

I believe I am on day 10 now (I have a bad time with numbers!) and I'm feeling good. I overslept a wee bit this morning so breakfast is consisting of a 1/2 a lara bar and a stick of gourmet grassfed beef jerky (this stuff is amazing it smells like bbq and tastes like BEEF instead of sugar and nonsense like store jerky) and I could eat it all day every day. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Rach View Post

Aggh think I need to learn to stress less on the calories front. If stick to the plan for the rest of the week, my week average will ~40g of carbs/ day and a 66%/24%/10% (fat/protein/carbs) spilt for the week which I'll be happy with (numbers dorkiness has calmed me )
    Rach, sorry to hear about the binge, that sounds like a lot of nuts and I hope it didn't upset your tummy. I would definitely suggest less worrying about calories and macros and so forth. Just try to follow the whole 30 foods and try to avoid the binging on approved foods because that can be the biggest danger on it, I feel. Next time maybe snack on some jerky or canned fish if you're into that (I'm not) or a little bit of cooked chicken or hard boiled egg. :3

OMG, I always wanted a massage. Go for it, hope you will have a great time!

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast