Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: September Whole 30!!! Who's with me!?!?! page 14

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    To Paul119: I was in Turkey in May and loved all of the lamb I could get. I just moved from Saudi Arabia to Afghanistan and would bet a pretty penny that most beef and lamb in Turkey and for much of the broader Middle East is grass fed. I wouldn't worry to much. I'd be concerned about living in the West and eating grain fed beef (gives me the creeps). I say chow down on anything you can find, especially from a butcher's shop that gets daily shipments of cow, lamb, and chicken! Bottoms up!

Thank you for starting this thread. I needed a re-committment to paleo/primal eating, and a Whole30 sounds perfect. This summer, I seriously fell off the wagon, and was back to eating ice cream and pizza like it was going out of style. I'm on Day 4, and doing well. I'm probably overdoing the fruit and nuts right now, but will try to back off a bit and eat my meat/veg/fat like a good girl! I'm very interested in the re-introduction of foods in October. I have a feeling sugar and dairy are causing my bloating issues. Thanks for the support, all!

PrimalLizard is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like it's going pretty good for most of you. Day 12 for me and it's going good. going to do some exercise tonight. LHT and probably some kettlebell. I haven't done much deliberate exercise beyond walking yet on the whole 30. wanted to ease in so I didn't have blood sugar issues.

namelesswonder, good luck to you in slaying the sugar dragon again. I know I could get into binge territory easily at the end of the whole30 again. it's so hard to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post
    Hey all,

Just completed my first day of the Whole30. I have a quick question concerning fats. I'm currently living in Turkey, and am having a hard time finding a market with organic/grass-fed meat - specifically beef and lamb. As a result, the only fats I'm eating right now are coming from the coconut oil I brought over with me from the States, and a few eggs a day. The majority of my protein comes from chicken, eggs and fish, but I NEED to eat more fat. So, should I go ahead and get the regular beef or lamb from the butcher's market, and not worry about how the meat was raised OR continue to only eat coconut oil/olive oil and eggs, thereby restricting the amount of fat in my diet. As a side note, olives, for now, are out. I ate a few olives yesterday morning before reading the ingredients, found "corn oil" written on the side (in english) and immediately subsisted. I would go hog-wild on the olives if I could find unprocessed ones, but since I'm not yet familiar with Turkish, it's difficult to read ingredient lists at the deli where olives are sold. Also, avocados are not in season yet..
    Quote Originally Posted by afsjesse View Post
    To Paul119: I was in Turkey in May and loved all of the lamb I could get. I just moved from Saudi Arabia to Afghanistan and would bet a pretty penny that most beef and lamb in Turkey and for much of the broader Middle East is grass fed. I wouldn't worry to much. I'd be concerned about living in the West and eating grain fed beef (gives me the creeps). I say chow down on anything you can find, especially from a butcher's shop that gets daily shipments of cow, lamb, and chicken! Bottoms up!
    +1 I would think what you'll get there is much better than CAFO meats here. Enjoy!

Ellen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    My former carb fiend who used to eat nothing but banana and bread before I get clued in that she has that minor gut problems and started packing all her food and forbade day-care to give her a shred of anything else, swept by the table with cookies and sweets, making straight for shrimp with the delighted chirping: "Shrimp! Shrimps!" The story made me so happy!
    That is awesome!! How fun She knows the good stuff now. This reminds me of when we had our 6 year old niece over for a slumber party and we made breakfast for dinner. Cheesy scrambled eggs and bacon. She cleaned her plate and I asked her if she wanted more eggs. Her reply? "Eggs, no. Bacon, YES!" Love it

Ellen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My problem with sugar: I can do a Whole30 or 21 Day Sugar Detox at the drop of a hat, but I will still add sugar back into my diet just as much before afterwards, no matter how long its been. I'm starting to think I'm just genetically predisposed to be a sugar monster.
    I completely get this way, too. I've started to wonder if it is just not long enough to be off "the juice" for me (yeah, it feels like a drug). Perhaps if someone has been a sugar-fiend for years and years it takes longer than 21-30 days to curb it. I'm thinking maybe I should do a Whole180. Or even a Whole365. That thought is somewhat frightening, though.

Not sure if it is how you've been, but I've been a consistent sugar over-eater for as long as I can remember. I remember buying a "Big Cherry" on my way home from school at least 3x/week in Elementary School. Pink wrapper, chocolate and nuts covered single maraschino cherry about the size of a ping pong ball filled with sugar goo. And often I would get a custard filled maple bar on my way to school -- again, in Elementary School. Where the heck did I get this kind of money in 4th or 5th grade, is what I want to know! That's at least $2/day of sugar snacking. Perhaps 21-30 days just doesn't cut it in some cases.

Ellen is offline Member
    Finally figured out how to do the multiple quoted responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyanna12 View Post
    I have learned a couple of things though because of falling off the wagon.
    I love that challenges are learning experiences and not "failures." That's how I'm retraining my brain in many areas of life. It isn't like there's only once chance to get this primal thing right and if you don't get it right the first time you are out of luck. Each time I do something that my body doesn't agree with I learn more about what I DO want my body to feel like and how it reacts to what I eat and how I move. Kudos to you for treating it as a learning experience!

Quote Originally Posted by KimNKY View Post
    I have friends visiting, and it really surprised me to see how different my diet and lifestyle has become since I found PB...

I've been waking up between 6-8 every morning, then entertaining myself while they sleep in until noon... then we go do something, and they take naps after we come home.
    Wow. This was such a mirror-moment for me. What you describe is exactly how I used to behave/feel. I would always pick eating out instead of cooking. For as many meals as possible on our budget (pizza, burger and fries, taco bell, etc.). Often over the budget into credit-card land, even! Going out on the weekend to "do things" felt like a monumental effort. Sure we could go see a move (sit for 2 hours) and then go out to dinner (sit for an hour). But, go to an outdoor festival? Or explore a local cultural area? Eh. Then, even after an "outing" of little to no physical movement it would be time for a nap at home. Not a 15 minute refresher, but a 90 minute pass out. Then wake up, figure out what to eat next (pizza delivery that also delivers pints of ice cream!) and watch a movie at home. Even an interactive board game started to feel like too much effort. It is hard to believe how years of crappy eating and exercise habits creates such a sluggish life. I'm so happy to be on such a different path now!

Quote Originally Posted by MissPiggy View Post
    Nuts are allowed, and I have a tendency to binge on nuts and nut butters (even after being sugar free for years and grain free for months). Tips on how to limit this are welcome. Cutting them out completely results in lack of fat and calories, and makes me nuts...
    I haven't figured out a way to limit them effectively for myself because I tend to eat them mindlessly. So, they are out entirely for me. However, if you want to keep them in, one thing I've done in the past is to portion them out into daily servings (whatever that is for you) in little baggies and even label the bags with the day. The key for me was to only buy a week's allotment at a time, from the bulk section of the store. Once I had 7 little baggies, I knew that if I ate more than 1 bag/day I would be missing out sometime later in the week. It was more important for me to have a good week than to worry about a single day, so I knew that over the week's time frame I'd be getting the right amount of fat/calories from the nuts. The gigantic bags/containers of nuts were just things I could not have in my house, though...

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I really started today It wasn't hard at all. We never buy not-primal stuff at our own house, and we don't have that much not-whole-30 stuff around, so it's easy when you're not seeing all the junk. BF did bring home a leftover pizza from a party at his job, but it was Domino's, so that's hardly tempting :P

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Well I thought I had the carb flu but no I have shingles and feel like crap On the up side I have very little appetite so have stayed true to whole 30.
    I am struggling with the lack of sauces on my meals I did not realise how much I depended on sauces and am finding dry meals a challenge. Any ideas?

KimNKY is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    I am struggling with the lack of sauces on my meals I did not realise how much I depended on sauces and am finding dry meals a challenge. Any ideas?
    I really love a slow cooked tomato sauce. Cook some crumbled Italian sausage (or other fatty meat), sautee onions and garlic in the fat, add tomato paste and cook/stir until it turns brownish, add 2 big cans of crushed or small diced tomatoes, some whole fresh basil leaves, cover and cook in a low oven or slow cooker for a few hours- just keep it at a light simmer. Toward the end, taste and season with more herbs. I like to also add a couple of beef shank steaks, chicken thighs, or some other tough cut of meat to shred into it at the end.

----

I'm on day 2 and already need to start over. I didn't read a food label closely enough and ate some sausage that contains brown sugar. 8 carbs in one sausage! It's bacon and pineapple flavor so I thought those were from the fruit, but no. I gave the leftovers to a neighbor but will also go through the kitchen and try to be sure everything I have is compliant.

I am feeling good though- noticing more energy at the end of the day. Although I'm also feeling warm which is odd because I'm usually cold blooded... like blankets in the office, keeping the AC set to almost 90 in hot weather, etc. I don't necessarily feel 'hot' but definitely not as chilly as usual. I don't know if that's directly related to Whole30, though. Maybe a few more days will give me a better idea!
    Last edited by KimNKY; 09-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.

MissPiggy is offline Junior Member
    Day 1 is finally over. It is now morning of day 2. And it was tough. And I was having brain fog all day. I am used to low carb, so that is not the issue. Probably due to the binging the day before?

Lunch was especially difficult. I just did not feel satisfied. It had lotsof fat, but maybe not enoug protein? Or maybe I was still kind of in binge mode.

Ellen, thanks for the tips on the nuts. Making little portion bags are definitely worth a try. I haven been able to limit them yesterday by counting them. So I do 10 macademias per meal.

Day 2 here we go!

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast