Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold sore page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Cold sore

Primal Fuel
    So after weeks of slipping in sweetened grains and a solid weekend of not sleeping more than a few hours, I've managed to bust out an enormous cold sore on my lip... My body is rebelling---I know the path I must go back to following. I remember the last time I had one I had binged on sugary chocolate covered popcorn. Anyone else get these---or not since going/staying primal?

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I've never been prone but in researching lemon balm I've read that it's supposed to be excellent for them. Not sure about drinking the tea but putting some oil or a lip balm with it is supposed to be good.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I haven't gotten any since going primal, used to get one or two a year.

What I would try
    -dab tea tree oil on it a few times a day
    -Take a Lysine supplement to speed up the healing/eat foods with Lysine (easy when you eat Primal) Lysine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    -Keep it slathered in coconut oil between tea tree oil treatments so it doesn't dry out.
    -Don't touch!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Fair warning, this'll hurt like hell. Make a paste of sea salt and coconut oil, apply to the cold sore. When it stops hurting/ you can't take it anymore/ you need to go somewhere, flake off the salt and reapply more coconut oil. Do at least 3 times a day, preferably more.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil - re-apply constantly. I keep a little tub at my desk....although I haven't had to in about a year...hmm

forward.
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    will try the salt, I think! Also used some crushed up aspirin. Anyone ever use DMSO? My grandmother swore by it, for other ailments---but it did make her stinky. I've been keeping it lathered up---looks tons better than this morning when I woke.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    So after weeks of slipping in sweetened grains and a solid weekend of not sleeping more than a few hours, I've managed to bust out an enormous cold sore on my lip... My body is rebelling---I know the path I must go back to following. I remember the last time I had one I had binged on sugary chocolate covered popcorn. Anyone else get these---or not since going/staying primal?
    I get them. I've been getting fewer since I went primal, but I do still occasionally get one. It's usually when I've been stressed out or biting my lips (which I do unconsciously when I'm stressed -- grrr). I don't like taking pills, but in this case I do. I have a prescription for Valtrex (which I HATE having to go fill, I always feel like the pharmacist thinks I have an STD!!) and take 3 pills when I feel one coming on. A lot of times this is good enough to head it off nearly completely, or at least keep it down to just one little bubble.

Paleobird Guest
    I used to date someone who got them and he swore by this stuff called H Balm. I think it does include some tea tree oil and some other oils as well, oregano or something (?). Anyway he said it made what would have been a 10 day eruption into gone in 2-3 days.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I get them every now and again, but I used to get them much more often. Nowadays I definitely notice that I only get them after a few days of not eating anything green. My mom gets them (big ones that basically go across her whole mouth, I feel so bad for her!) whenever she gets stressed out. So the day before I move, she gets one.

I have always used Abreva whenever I get a cold sore (anybody else call it a "fever blister"?). It knocks them out quick. I will have to look into the different methods mentioned here.

Heathen is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    I get them. I've been getting fewer since I went primal, but I do still occasionally get one. It's usually when I've been stressed out or biting my lips (which I do unconsciously when I'm stressed -- grrr). I don't like taking pills, but in this case I do. I have a prescription for Valtrex (which I HATE having to go fill, I always feel like the pharmacist thinks I have an STD!!) and take 3 pills when I feel one coming on. A lot of times this is good enough to head it off nearly completely, or at least keep it down to just one little bubble.
    I hate to burst your bubble but, you do have an STD. A cold sore is caused by the HSV virus also known as herpes.
    wag more, bark less

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast