Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold sore page 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Well...technically, perhaps no. It's commonly an STD that appears on the genitals, but if it's not sexually transmitted, is it an STD? Just nit-picking

Stress will do it for ya. Used to get them a lot more in college. I eat a lot of chicken now and I guess that has a lot of Lysine, which helps, somehow.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I think I ate half a chicken tonight...I want to medicate with food!

Paleobird Guest
    There are two types of the herpes virus, HSV1 & HSV2 . Type 1 is cold sores, type 2 is below the belt but either one can transmit to either end of the body (You all are old enough to figure out how)

The reason HSV1 sufferers like to say theirs is not an STD is because it is perfectly possible for a baby to get it from great aunt Agnes who had a coldsore kissing their face. HSV2 you actually have to have sex to get.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-22-2012 at 03:57 PM.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    "HSV2 you actually have to have sex to get. "
    Not if you define sex the way Bill Clinton does :-)

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    it is perfectly possible for a baby to get it from great aunt Agnes who had a coldsore kissing their face.
    Aunt Aggie! You ol' hoe-bag!

Heathen is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Well...technically, perhaps no. It's commonly an STD that appears on the genitals, but if it's not sexually transmitted, is it an STD? Just nit-picking

Stress will do it for ya. Used to get them a lot more in college. I eat a lot of chicken now and I guess that has a lot of Lysine, which helps, somehow.
    Avoid the trigger foods that are high in arginine - peanuts, peanut butter, red wine, chocolate, popcorn, caffeine (all the nice things I know!) and focus on foods high in L-lysine (e.g. eggs)

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    I've had cold sores since I was a kid. A few years ago decided that professionally they were unacceptable (just really unattractive, but also made me super self-conscious, especially when meeting with clients), so now I pop a few Acyclovir at the first sign of a tingle. Nips it in the bud. I get them about quarterly and most of the time I managed to get the meds in me in time to avert it showing or blistering. anything "natural" I've tried has failed miserably. might help it heal a bit faster, but yet to prevent them.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Icing them works for some people - virus prefer to replicate at a certain tempurature. When I feel one coming on - that first tingle- I put an ice cube in a baggy (keeps the melting water from dripping alover you) and hold it against my lip - don't freeze your lip.Hold it until you can't stand it, release for a few moments and repeat. Repeat every couple of hours.-usually gone by next day.
    Even a full blown one can be cut short with the icing trick.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Most people have some type of STD, it's ok. A couple are things you should disclose to others...
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

katiepotato is offline Member
    Another sufferer here, although I haven't had one for a while (crosses fingers). +1 on lysine, I've had them much less frequently since taking a good-quality multivitamin containing it. As an alternative to ice, I've also found that applying a hot compress (as hot as you can stand it) works to minimise size/get past the horrible itchy blistery stage for me.

Re: acyclovir tablets - be careful about popping them regularly as they have some nasty side-effects, particularly on the liver.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast