Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seriously unfit, inflexible and generally a mess page 3

Bess58 is offline Member
    Hello, AussieNana!

You wrote "I do NOT want to continue to deteriorate as I see so many people of my age do. I'm improving, but, my goodness it takes focus and determination to make the changes after all this time."

I can so identify with your words! I am a bit younger than you are (nearing 55), but I'm fighting the same battle. I come from a lifetime of absolutely no physical fitness, and I'm trying to get fit for the first time. I watch with horror how people just ten years older than me stumble by with their walkers and canes, and I do not want to go down that road ... My mother had her first hip replacement when she was my age.

My compliments for taking up karate! That must have taken a lot of courage. Now, I don't know much about autoimmune diseases; my nemesis that I'm fighting is diabetes. I have been doing weight training for eight months now (machines, not free weights - there is a chain of gyms here in Germany that uses machines that are based on Nautilus / MedX machines which you maybe know), and the coaches say I lift quite heavily for a woman. I could improve my glucose numbers somewhat, but my doc recommended to add more exercise, so now I walk a lot which is the only other exercise that I can do. (Still working on the squats, in my case it's the edge of the bathtub that I cling to for dear life.)

In all that time I haven't lost one pound, which is discouraging, although I lost one and a half dress sizes. (Still sitting at 210 pounds where I have been for years.) What gets me is that at this age and with this history, any progress is so slow.

Others have chimed in who are in the same situation. Maybe we can keep each other posted on our progress? I think older ladies are in a completely different position from the young people here, especially the guys who go primal, ramp up their exercise and post success photos of their abs and ripped muscles three months later. Not happening here so far ...

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, English is not my mother tongue.

Good luck to you all!
    Last edited by Bess58; 09-04-2012 at 05:45 AM.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Bess,

I too am terrified of being dependent on wheelchairs, walkers, etc as I get older. To the point that if I am at the store with the idea that I want something bad for me all it takes is one person who in a scooter or someone very heavy with a bunch of junk in their carts to put me back on track. As it is my knees hurt all the time, my back hurts at the end of the day and my left hip hurts a lot. I like your idea of supporting each other. It is a different scenario and struggle than the younger people have.

And your English is wonderful! I admire you for being that conversant in another language.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Bess58 is offline Member
    Hi, valmason!

Thanks a lot for your kind words about my English. It's my job, I am a translator.

I am impressed that there are so many of us who do not give up, but struggle to become fit even if it's late in our lives. Maybe we could make a thread of our own - sorry, OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread with my suggestion. Let's wait and hear what other people think.

Re: your aches and pains. Have you ever tried fishoil capsules (omega 3)? I have been taking them for years now - 2 grams a day. When I forget to take them for a while, for example when I don't replace the empty package, my pains come back (bad knee from an accident, herniated disc and pains in my finger joints). I have often read that even if a joint is damaged, there is always inflammation that plays a role too. And the omega 3s fight inflammation.

Sending you all best wishes and my favorite quote: "Growing old is not for sissies!"

You must be very good at your job

And I like the idea of starting our own thread..Maybe aussienana will chime in too

I do take fishoil capsules..4 a day actually...I have also started taking tumeric, a spice, but I take it in capsule form. It is an anti inflammatory and I can tell a difference when I take it.

I like your quote..you are very right Keep working...the body was created to heal!

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Misti is offline Member
    I haven't been around long, but I love the idea of having a thread for those of us who are older and not likely to see the dramatic changes the young fellows see right away.

For me it's not about weight, but about health, so I'm not bothered by not seeign abs or by slooow progress in learning to so squats. Still, without regular reinforcement, I can see how having the super-healthy young folk making vast progress toward their goals could be disheartening...

Quote Originally Posted by Bess58 View Post
    Others have chimed in who are in the same situation. Maybe we can keep each other posted on our progress? I think older ladies are in a completely different position from the young people here, especially the guys who go primal, ramp up their exercise and post success photos of their abs and ripped muscles three months later. Not happening here so far ...

Let me know if y'all want to get started!

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Bess58 is offline Member
    I'm in!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In addition to a new thread for seniors, I would suggest emailing Mark to see if he will do a front-page blog post for seniors. Even though he doesn't look it, Mark himself is pushing 60.

AussieNana, can you buy pepper spray (mace) in Australia in case of a home invasion? At close range it's probably as effective as a weapon. If nothing else it will give you more time to run away.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123