Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lard Making a Comeback page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Hey, cantare, have you read Peter's article called Praise the Lard over at the Hyperlipid site? It's about the Optimal Diet that has been popular in Eastern Europe for years. Interesting stuff.

What is the main criticism of Dr. Weil? I remember him from 10 years ago. Figured he was dead or retired. He was always an advocate of Pollan's mindset: Limit carbs, moderate portions, eat veggies. What's wrong with that? You need him to eat ONLY meat for years like a Paleo extremist?

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    What is the main criticism of Dr. Weil? I remember him from 10 years ago. Figured he was dead or retired. He was always an advocate of Pollan's mindset: Limit carbs, moderate portions, eat veggies. What's wrong with that? You need him to eat ONLY meat for years like a Paleo extremist?
    I remember him being a big advocate of polyunsaturated oils, canola in particular, but that was a long time ago and haven't paid much attention to him recently.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    What is the main criticism of Dr. Weil?
    Mostly I am just glad to see some of the more popular Drs coming onboard, thus my reason for initially posting. Just that some are coming out and saying that what we thought we knew, might not be the way it actually is. Which leads way to realizing that maybe other things arent as we thought also. So I am very glad to see that.

Dr. Weil is still onboard with grains as well as some other things. Here is his pyramid. Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid

I also wasnt so sure about taking his advice to heart because he seemed a little tubby to me, like Santa Claus. But I love Santa and Santa is pretty darn old, as is the good doctor (well not THAT old but older than I thought) so he must be doing something right
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    all together now...

Praise the Lard, and blast the dietitian
    Praise the Lard, it's health's beyond suspicion!
    Praise the Lard, don't hark to your physician
    and we'll all stay lean!

[apologies to Frank Loesser]
    Hahaha, this made me chuckle a good bit. Loving this gospel music! If only church was like this! Man, that would fun.

I purchase my lard from U.S. Wellness meats and get at least 6 containers per order. Love me some beef lard! So tasty!

songsparrow is offline Junior Member
    I keep my bacon drippings to use for cooking, but haven't yet made lard although I've been thinking about it. How smelly is the lard as it's rendering? I don't have the best ventilation in my kitchen, and I've heard it's very smelly when it's rendering, and I'm worried the whole house will smell bad. Maybe I'll try making some on a cool day when all the windows can be open. How long does lard keep? Does it need to be refrigerated or frozen?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Oh wow thanks! I would never have guessed you add water.
    I make lard in a slow cooker and I don't ever add water. No need to - it renders just fine without. I put the fat through a mincer (grinder) so that it drops straight into the slow cooker, switch on and leave until it is rendered down. The remaining crisp bits of fat can either be salted and eaten. or put out for birds which seem to love it!

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hey, cantare, have you read Peter's article called Praise the Lard over at the Hyperlipid site? It's about the Optimal Diet that has been popular in Eastern Europe for years. Interesting stuff.
    I have now...enjoyed the article!
    In fact, it's a good blog overall, with a lot of good articles...

which I can read...

along with all the other blogs I already spend most of my time readi--

6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    I have now...enjoyed the article!
    In fact, it's a good blog overall, with a lot of good articles...
    which I can read...
    along with all the other blogs I already spend most of my time readi--
    In case you have some free time (hehe) you also would enjoy Dr. Peter Attia's Eating Academy blog. That was where i figured out how to make ketosis work by dialing back the protein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12