Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and primal page

Alcohol and primal

Shop Now
    Im going on holiday on Saturday, and I know there will be some occasions when I would like to drink alcohol. So what is the least offensive to a primal lifestyle? I know red wine is ok, but what about something like vodka, soda and fresh lime? Or even the flavoured vodkas? My favourite is brandy and diet coke ( I know...it's terrible, that's why I am trying to be prepared!!) Has anybody got any good research on this subject?

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Im partial to cider myself..
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The NorCal margarita is a winner p a l e o b l o c k s: Paleo Recipe: Robb Wolf's Nor Cal Margaritas. Any liquor over ice should work. Wine. Hell, I even drink good mico brews. All that fermentation gotta be good for something :P

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Cider. Just look at the ingredients. Some are full of HFCS.

Tequila. Its made from agave, not grains.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Paleobird Guest

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Cider. Just look at the ingredients. Some are full of HFCS.

Tequila. Its made from agave, not grains.
    Your getting the wrong kinda cider then

Shouldent be any added sugar.

Oh and meads nice if you can get the good kind (homemade versions seem to be beter than most of the store bought ones)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This.

I primarily will choose to drink wine or cider, sometimes mead if it's available (my friend makes an awesome mead at home), or vodka (real stuff that I know isn't contaminated with grains) with seltzer water. I'm not a huge fan of tequila, but if I want to get absolutely inebriated I will go with that... and regret it the next day.

But, yeah, the link above is the best concise list I've found yet.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm a fan of single malt Scotch, gin martini's and sometimes bourbon (which is much less expensive than SMS). I've done some research on the subject but sometimes it's hard to remember. More research is in order for sure.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    I personally like Whiskey. I heard darker alcohol is better than white (Vodka etc)...not sure where I read it....might be the definitive guide.....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    This is one area where I disagree with Mark. In his definitive guide, he puts clear spirits in the "Bottom Shelf to Bottom of the Barrel" category, yet he states:

As mentioned, unflavored spirits don’t come with carbs, and the alcohol content itself can boost vascular health. Nonetheless, these varieties don’t offer much in the way of antioxidant benefit either.
    While it's true that dry red wines are fairly low carb, I don't buy into its (underwhelming) health benefits. I mean really, does anyone go out drinking to reap health benefits? It's like those silly states that have banned smoking in bars - dude it's not a health club. Clear spirits as shots or with clear club soda/bubble water are zero carb.

Mark may be one of the smartest "health gurus" I've read in 20 years, but on this one point, I disagree. YMMV.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast