Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and primal page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    The reason smoking was banned in those "silly" states was that it is a workplace safety issue. The people who work there shouldn't have to get lung cancer from second hand smoke just to make a living.

But I agree with you that drinking any booze and trying to kid yourself that you are doing it for the health benefits doesn't make much sense.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    PB, I didn't meant to offend. I know why the laws were passed, and I guess there's some merit to them, but still and all I don't agree. Bars are not healthful places and they were never meant to be. To become a bartender and then piss and moan about cigarettes to me always seemed whiney. Become something else. Or work in a bar where the owner has decided that business is better if smoking is not allowed. I have some real issues with some laws that restrain commerce, and this is one.

Again, didn't meant to offend, and sorry about the word "silly."

Paleobird Guest
    As someone who helped pay for college by running cocktails in the bad old days before smoking was banned, I can tell you that there are not a whole lot of people who work in bars doing so because they had a whole lot of other employment opportunities. It's not really something most people choose.

And there are workplace safety rules for factory workers, ear plugs, hard hats, etc. Why not for bar employees?

And it doesn't restrain trade at all. In fact, I think it encourages more people to come out knowing that they are not going to have to stink of smoke just to have a drink with their friends or listen to some music. And the die-hard (pun intended) smokers can always take it outside.

Sorry to the OP for the thread derailment.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    This is one area where I disagree with Mark. In his definitive guide, he puts clear spirits in the "Bottom Shelf to Bottom of the Barrel" category, yet he states:

While it's true that dry red wines are fairly low carb, I don't buy into its (underwhelming) health benefits. I mean really, does anyone go out drinking to reap health benefits? It's like those silly states that have banned smoking in bars - dude it's not a health club. Clear spirits as shots or with clear club soda/bubble water are zero carb.

Mark may be one of the smartest "health gurus" I've read in 20 years, but on this one point, I disagree. YMMV.
    My thoughts, exactly; and red wine on a hot day - ick.

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Drink whatever you want. As long as you're not drinking absurd amounts or too often I think the difference is probably negligible. While it's obvious to avoid the sugar and HFCS in mixers, I think it's pointless to search for the "most primal" alcohol if you aren't going to enjoy what you're drinking. Unless it's from a completely utilitarian "I just want to be drunk" standpoint. Just accept that a little booze now and then (of any type) won't kill you and don't feel bad about it.

If your drinking as opposed to just a few drinks, I'd recommend you check this out. It's solid science and although it's geared towards bodybuilders, which I am not, it does work.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    My thoughts, exactly; and red wine on a hot day - ick.
    I have gotten to like red wine with seltzer, sometimes lemon-flavored. Almost as nice as a beer on a hot day, and it doesn't give me that carby knock out. I've also noticed I gain (water) weight with beer, not with wine.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    I'll drink red wine a fair amount (maybe a bottle every two weeks) but for "recreational" drinking I still go to my favorite, grain laden, carb heavy, anti-primal-blueprint, nice dark microbrew type beers. Although I'm also a fan of single malt scotches too which seem fairly high on Mark's list. I don't sweat the beer
    -Chuck

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Your getting the wrong kinda cider then

Shouldent be any added sugar.
    Sure, and canned tuna shouldn't have any added soy. But they find a way to put it in there. :P
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    This is one area where I disagree with Mark. In his definitive guide, he puts clear spirits in the "Bottom Shelf to Bottom of the Barrel" category, yet he states:

While it's true that dry red wines are fairly low carb, I don't buy into its (underwhelming) health benefits.
    I mean really, does anyone go out drinking to reap health benefits? It's like those silly states that have banned smoking in bars - dude it's not a health club. Clear spirits as shots or with clear club soda/bubble water are zero carb.

Mark may be one of the smartest "health gurus" I've read in 20 years, but on this one point, I disagree. YMMV.
    I am curious as to why you don't buy into it. Are you saying the benefits are negligible so as to warrant going without or are you saying there are no benefits at all? What do you mean by underwhelming? I actually agree/believe that mild consumption of alcohol can offer direct but mostly indirect benefits. I believe my ancestors drank fermented alcoholic beverages from fruits and plants even. Palm wine has been drank in West Africa from the age of time, according to my west african folklore. So I am not sure how we can categorically classify all alcohol as not being primal or having no or negligible benefits...but of course, I always stand corrected. At any rate it is definitely a YMMV sitch and I am obvsly biased in favour of consumption. I use to drink a few ounces of whiskey mad men style every day AND wine on weekends. The only thing that made me stop was because I can not burn fat while continuing do the aforementioned..Le Sigh

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I love wine and beer. I drink tons of beer, from Budweiser to IPA's. I'm not a beer snob.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast