Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut and Almond Flour Sources? page

sarahac is offline Junior Member

Coconut and Almond Flour Sources?

Primal Fuel
    Where do you buy your coconut and almond flour? Online or in the store?

TIA!

DaniPani is offline Junior Member
    I just bought some through Amazon although I haven't received them yet so I couldn't give you a review. I bought the Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour and JK Gourmet Almond Flour as both had stellar reviews. I live in Alaska and a lot of health food items here are outrageously expensive so Amazon has become my new best friend. Hope this helps!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Trader Joe's is $3.99/lb. You'll never find it cheaper.

That being said, baking with almond meal is similar to manufacturing varnish in your kitchen. I'd strongly recommend you not heat almond flour for any significant portion of time because it will oxidize rapidly. I'd rather just eat wheat flour cake than almond flour cake for this very reason. If I'm going to eat something poisonous, I'm going to eat the real thing.

Coconut flour is okay to bake with. It's very stable, but it can be rough on your gut as it's ~60% fiber. I have this brand and it is excellent. Again, you'll probably never find it cheaper.

http://www.azukarorganics.com/cocoflour.htm
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-21-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ennaejay is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahac View Post
    Where do you buy your coconut and almond flour? Online or in the store?

TIA!
    We get ours from Nuts.com; it is also 3.99/lb but only if you buy it in bulk, like 25lbs. Still have to pay shipping ($10? I think?) I divide it up into freezer bags and store it in the deep freeze til we use it. I get blanched to avoid any antinutrients from the skins. It lasts quite a while if you don't rely heavily on it (not recommended; it can cause gut problems if overused like any nut).

Nuts.com sells coconut flour too - organic if you like - but their pricing isn't much better than Bobs Red Mill in the store. That stuff's expensive no matter where you look.

kmodell is offline Member
    What does it mean that it oxidizes? I always use almond flour because I don't want to taste everything like coconut. Should I be using flax seed meal or something else?

sarahac is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmodell View Post
    What does it mean that it oxidizes? I always use almond flour because I don't want to taste everything like coconut. Should I be using flax seed meal or something else?
    Also curious about this

a-ray is offline Member
    I normally get almond flour from Trader Joe's but occasionally my mom picks up some from the Mennonites a little North from us and its not that much more expensive.

As for coconut flour, I got my last batch from Tropical Traditions when they had free shipping.

George is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmodell View Post
    Oxidizing means it breaks down due to being subject to the oxygen around it. Rust is oxidation of iron.

Some fats are very subject to oxidation (unsaturated and polyunsaturated in particular like the ones in almonds), and that is what makes them go rancid.

Flax seed when ground up oxidizes rather quickly, hence it should be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge once ground or if already ground, once opened.
    My posts are for information only, based on my own research and experience. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The reader should always consult his or her healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Vitacost actually has some gluten-free flours for very cheap. Coconut oil too.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

parakeet is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't do a lot of baking, but when I need something for a special occasion (birthday, etc), I prefer blanched almond flour. It has a little finer consistency than natural almond flour, giving the final product a less course texture. Our Whole Foods started carrying it in the bins, but it's cheaper for me to buy it in bulk from Honeyville at 5 lbs. for $29.99 (shipping is $4.49, no minimum)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast