Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coconut and Almond Flour Sources? page 2

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I get them at Pomegrante Market in bulk. I usually get the coconut flour from Tropical Tradition when I have to order oil (by the gallon). I'm really wanting to try the Honeyville brand to see if it's as good as everyone says.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmodell View Post
    What does it mean that it oxidizes? I always use almond flour because I don't want to taste everything like coconut. Should I be using flax seed meal or something else?
    Nut meals are very high in omega 6 polyunsaturated fat. When you turn something into a meal, you increase its surface area an order of magnitude. Then, you are subjecting it to 300+ degree temperatures for a long period of time. You are oxidizing all the fragile fats that make up the nut, and since you ground it up into a meal with huge surface area and removed the protective skin, you are intensifying the oxidation exponentially.

Flax is the absolute worst thing to heat. I wouldn't eat fresh, cold flax. Flax is one of the most fragile seeds in nature. Varnish is heated flax. When you eat nut meals and flax, you are manufacturing varnish in your oven. Then you're eating it.

I'd rather eat wheat than varnish.

I store all my nuts and nut butters in the fridge. Almond meal and flax belong in the freezer and should never be heated. If you're going to bake, use carbohydrate. White rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch or coconut flour are best. You may be able to use sorghum and buckwheat as well if you like them.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-24-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12