Thread: Effect of fat & caffeine on post-prawn dial BG page

Artbuc is offline Senior Member

Effect of fat & caffeine on post-prawn dial BG

Primal Fuel
    eTalk : The Effects of Saturated Fat and Caffeinated Coffee on Blood Sugar Levels

Anyone see this? Do you believe these findings? I started a thread on the Nutrition sub-forum about my high post-prandial BG spikes. I am a heavy coffee drinker and I have added a substantial amount of fat to my diet from grass-fed butter, coconut, coconut oil and whole pastured eggs. Perhaps I am not as insulin resistant as I thought. I need to get off coffee, at least for a week or so, and check my BG spikes when I have not consumed so much fat. No wonder that pint of super-rich Grater's ice cream sent my BG soaring and kept it up there so long.

braves10 is offline Junior Member
    I saw a video series (recommeded on the forum) about the consumption of Sugar with Robert Lustig (recently released in like june or something). Lustig said in natural there is no food stuff that contains both substantial amounts of fat and carbohydrate. This study, above, is focused on saturated fat so idk if it is any different with mono or polys. Since Lustig suggested that in nature you cant find food that has both substantial amounts of carbohydrate and fat, I wonder if we weren't meant to eat fat and carbohrate in a meal together. Maybe we were meant to eat fat with protein or carbohydrate with protein (carb cycling - do for body composition and athletic performance, as well as health?)

What do you guys think? Is this way off base from what the study suggests?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    This is why I only drink coffee when I'm in the fasted state. Mark recently touched on this topic:
    Does Coffee Decrease Insulin Sensitivity? | Mark's Daily Apple

From what I've read, the effects of caffeine peak around 3 hours after ingestion. So if you're drinking coffee, try to keep away from large volumes of carbs for a few hours afterward and you should be fine.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is why I only drink coffee when I'm in the fasted state. Mark recently touched on this topic:
    Does Coffee Decrease Insulin Sensitivity? | Mark's Daily Apple

From what I've read, the effects of caffeine peak around 3 hours after ingestion. So if you're drinking coffee, try to keep away from large volumes of carbs for a few hours afterward and you should be fine.