Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My High Carb Workout Experiment page 3

stumprrp is offline Member
    I literally did this exact same thing with my diet. I eliminated the bacon, excess fatty red meat, some butter and some coconut oil. For fats i now resort to leaner red meat, eggs, avocado, olive oil, some butter, and alot of fish oil supp. I should eat more fish though. I was really sick of the high fat - low carb - carb load after workout plus my weight loss stalled so i'm going to try this approach now. Fat will most likely fall in the 40-60g a day range, which is more the adaquate.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumprrp View Post
    I literally did this exact same thing with my diet. I eliminated the bacon, excess fatty red meat, some butter and some coconut oil. For fats i now resort to leaner red meat, eggs, avocado, olive oil, some butter, and alot of fish oil supp. I should eat more fish though. I was really sick of the high fat - low carb - carb load after workout plus my weight loss stalled so i'm going to try this approach now. Fat will most likely fall in the 40-60g a day range, which is more the adaquate.
    Yeah I would go for real fish over too much fish oil. I've been going through lots of wild sardines from Wild Planet (caught in California) because they taste amazing and are packed with o3's - would rather get it that way.

stumprrp is offline Member
    Love me some sardines, but i couldnt eat them everyday. I take 3g fish oil in the AM and 3g before bed, so its not that much.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    Speak for yourself! I lift to get stronger so I can better enjoy my sport/recreational activities (principally cycling) but it also helps when I'm loading/unloading heavy things at work. There are many other benefits too: improved cardiovascular function, posture, bone density, no back/knee problems, etc. not to mention metabolic benefits such as insulin sensitivity.

There's a lot more to lifting than just "big guns"! As you said, it's hardly primal but I think that just shows how ridiculous the constant WWGD? attitude is anyway.
    Perhaps, but how often and for how long do you believe you have to focus on resistance training to see these benefits? I lift 1x/week with 5 compound movements all to failure and am done in under 20 minutes. I don't think the WWGD is ridiculous in the least when you consider over training as being detrimental to health.

If I used a volume approach and focused on carb reloads could I eek out slightly better gains? Maybe, but at what cost? From my experience there are at least two very real costs. Time and repetitive stress injuries.

Some people have not reached a state of maxed out physical potential or they just love to exercise. I say have at it! If you have never pushed yourself to those levels then it is a worth wile mental toughness exercise. Personally I maxed out my strength/weight and focused on every level of athleticism possible as a wrestler through college. I'm not interested in the time, pain, and ill health that comes as a consequence to that level of training anymore. So again .....it's all about your personal growth and current goals.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'm not interested in the time, pain, and ill health that comes as a consequence to that level of training anymore.
    CNS overload and elevated cortisol (over-training in the Primal world and somewhat inaccurate anyway) are terms so regularly thrown around in these forums but the reality is that it isn't easy to accomplish. Properly designed exercise programs can be intensely performed for years without this happening.

When I see folks (not singling you out) talk about not sprinting twice in a week -for example- as they fear they'll have elevated cortisol and lose all their weight loss gains, it makes me facepalm.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Nah, I went on a bit of a middle ager "I can get in good nuff shape this way rant." I agree that "over training" is probably thrown around a lot more than it actually occurs.

When I talk about over training in my past I mean doing morning runs then afternoon 1hr technique followed by 45 minutes live bouts followed by a 3 mile run followed by evening lifting session. And all while cutting weight for the next bout. It's doable. And some people probably have a real genetic capacity for this sort of work load. Actually I kind of did myself considering how long I lasted (16 years is pretty good, only 3 of which at that intensity).

I'm sure you know just as well as anyone that there are thousands of gifted individuals that never made it to the NFL simply due to their bodies not holding up under the pressures of training and competing in the long haul. Again quite different than thinking 2 sprint session will stall weight loss.

Don't mean to project my past and current experiences and goals on others.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123