Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting heavy without injury page

elektro is offline Member

Lifting heavy without injury

Shop Now
    I've started lifting heavy, low reps a few months ago. So far everything has been going well. But recently I've been hurting after workouts. I have a lot of pain in my shoulders and neck. At first it was going away pretty quickly, but now it has been lingering for weeks even after I stopped lifting completely. I feel it's from doing deadlifts with a ton of weight and I may have pulled a muscle with all that weight.

First off, is there any way to recover faster or do I just have to rest? Then once I recover how do I continue to lift heavy without this happening again?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Without some of the details regarding how quickly you've been progressing it's difficult to answer. Have you de-loaded at all? And is there any chance of seeing a technique video?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Without some of the details regarding how quickly you've been progressing it's difficult to answer. Have you de-loaded at all? And is there any chance of seeing a technique video?
    Thats interesting. Do many people deload even when they are progressing rather well?

elektro is offline Member
    I don't deload intentionally, but things come up every 3-4 weeks, travel, ect. that force me to take a week off so I am essentially doing that pretty regularly. I believe it's when I'm trying to push my dead lift weight that I'm putting a lot of strain on my neck/shoulders and pulling those muscles, which is causing the pain. How do I push myself on those kinds of exercises without injury? If I stay on weights that I don't struggle with I never move up.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Thats interesting. Do many people deload even when they are progressing rather well?
    I actually think it's a good idea for a lot of people - mainly because most will be training without a coach and won't have great technique. The forced deload can then act as a safeguard in the long term. It's also important to consider that, although good strength training programmes are linear, progress doesn't always have to be numerically linear. Most people assume that if weight isn't gong on the bar every session then they're no longer making any progress.

For_Sparta is offline Junior Member
    I'd suggest exercising some caution with the deadlift if it's causing you pain, it's an awesome exercise when done properly, but it's a fast-track to injury if done the wrong way. You only need to google "deadlift injury" for countless tales of people doing permanent injury going too heavy at the expense of good form.

Lighten the load, and if you feel like you "must" progress each week (I know the feeling), try moving up in tiny increments.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you just need to add in an extra couple of rest days. Usually the higher the weight the longer the recovery.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

I think staying injury free is an art of its own!!!!!!

McRobert will always tell you, "go conservative"...if in doubt of whether you will require an extra day of rest or not, always take that extra rest.

The thinking is, from my brain, that you are doing this for the next 10, 20, 30, 40 years? There is no rush in lifting the weights as long as you are progressing with the pounds and you are executing with very good form!!!!

Slow and steady is definitely the name of the game. Even starting with some very modest numbers:

Deadlift 100lbs
    Squat 75lbs
    Bench 60lbs
    Press 50lbs

And adding 1lb to each exercise per week you would see this (approximately) after 1 year:

Deadlift 152lbs
    Squat 127lbs
    Bench 112lbs
    Press 102lbs

This after 5 years:

Deadlift 360lbs
    Squat 335lbs
    Bench 320lbs
    Press 310lbs

This is very simplistic (and not really an accurate depiction of what would actually happen ratio wise) but you get the idea.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yeah I think I'm gonna do a deload thing starting next workout. I've already ruptured one pec tendon advancing to quickly. I think I'll try to keep it reattached and the other one in tact this time around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast