Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Primal Butter?

A Primal Butter?

Shop Now
    I am looking to cook w/ butter. When I go to the store I see various options... what is the most primal?

Non salted? Salted? There seem to be many varietals...

A lot of people choose organic or raw. Im too poor to spend 6.00 on butter so I just get salted w/o antibioltics or hormones

Yeah, there's a pastured option out there but it's pretty spensive if you cook with butter a lot.

Have you thought about going the ghee route instead of butter? Most people tend to go with raw/organic unsalted I believe.

Ghee is the most primal butter due to lack of casein but in my opinion it also tastes horrible. I would rather cook with coconut oil or animal fat and the only thing I use butter for is on some steamed vegetables when the meat I'm eating is too lean. I think I have a casein sensitivity though so butter might be out. Everyone should get a basic food sensitivity test in my opinion.

Awesome thanks guys.. will scout out raw/organic unsalted this week at the local grocery.

I buy KerryGold Irish Butter made from pastured cows. I can't find raw butter anywhere and this is the closest I can get to good quality butter and the price is comparable to other organic (not necessarily from pastured cows). And I make ghee with it at home.

Butter is actually quite easy to make at home if you have a blender or food processor. If you can find quality heavy cream you can make your own.

I've also been using Irish butter and organic. I went to find Ghee yesterday, it was pretty pricey. I'm going to stick with plain old butter.

Shop Now
    @smitzma, the procedure to make ghee at home was discussed in this thread, in case you are interested in making it at home:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Ghee-vs-Butter