Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 minute coconut bread review page

Jayden Austin is offline Junior Member

2 minute coconut bread review

Hi Y'all,

Soooo... after 3 weeks without even a hint of bread, I decided to try a recipe I saw on youtube for coconut bread. It's simple, quick and looked... well... spongy, but edible.

2 eggs
    2 teaspoons coconut flour (approximately)
    2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil (I used half and half)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix all together in a ramekin or small glass Pyrex type dish (wipe with coconut oil first) Mixture will be somewhat thin... a bit thinner than pancake batter.
    Microwave on high for 90 seconds or so. It will sort of puff up, but go back down when you take it out.

Let cool, then run a knife around edges and flip out of container... slice through the middle. When I make it again I'll probably be able to get three slices... last night I got two slices.

I topped it with organic cream cheese, bacon and organic spinach... WOW! It was SO good! It doesn't have much taste in its own, and it's a tag eggy. I love eggs, so no big deal.

It is EXTREMELY filling... I couldn't eat it all and was uncomfortably full for hours... ugh. I seemed to get more full as time went on. Next time I'll only have half. (or less!)

I can see how it can be made better.... it really could have used some herbs and spices... maybe a tablespoon of Parmesan and fresh thyme, oregano, basil... or you could do a sweet version with a touch of raw honey, real maple syrup, or coconut nectar. Add cinnamon and a bit of cream cheese while it's still hot.... yum.

Not for every day, but for those times when you really want a sandwich, pretty darn good. Quick and easy to make, too.

Jayden

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I make a similar 'bread'. I think the recipe was called 'Single Bun'.

1 egg
    1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
    1 tbsp coconut flour
    1 tbsp almond flour
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    dash of salt

Grease a small round pyrex bowl. Blend all ingredients (I use an emersion blender). Pour/scoop into greased bowl. Microwave for 90 seconds.

Sometimes I cut one in half and toast it to eat with my sunny side up farm fresh pastured eggs in the morning.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to ask a dumb question, and ask forgiveness ahead of time. But why not for everyday? I don't see anything in that recipe list that is unprimal. And it sounds yummy.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
    I'm going to ask a dumb question, and ask forgiveness ahead of time. But why not for everyday? I don't see anything in that recipe list that is unprimal. And it sounds yummy.
    Agreed! I think I'm going to make one tonight and pack it away to include with my brunch-time meal tomorrow!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

I'm a quick one. Just made it! (The original posted by the OP.) I added parsley, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. I don't know what it tastes like but it smells fantastic. I did taste the batter to make sure the seasoning was ok, and it was. As for the finished product, I'll know tomorrow morning when I chow down on this at work (and make my coworkers jealous, maybe)!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3why5mowx...-58-02_526.jpg
    In the microwave after just finishing - exactly 2 minutes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfz91ieg68...-58-57_143.jpg
    Out of the microwave, still in the ramekin... which is hot as hell, so I used an Ove-Glove to get the damn thing out without scalding myself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/173ua4135f...-00-05_932.jpg

Looks like a big muffin!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I made something similar after reading this thread - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html - and it was amazing! Rivvin's recipe was heavier on the flour (1/4C vs 2t) but still had a pretty eggy taste. I made it with almond meal and butter. I was wondering it coconut oil might make it seem less eggy? I always cook my eggs in butter, so the butter might just reinforce the egg taste for me.

The mouth feel on this "bread" is incredible, IMO. It feels just like many whole wheat breads I was addicted to previously. I could almost feel my eyes rolling back in my head as I was chewing. This makes me think it might be a bad every day choice for me, at least at this point.

I also found it incredibly filling. I ate 1/2 the slice as an after dinner snack and stopped because my reaction to the mouth feel creeped me out a little bit. I was full the rest evening and then felt bloated the next day. I can't be certain it was the bread, because I generally treat nuts like a condiment rather than a food stuff, but I worry now that I may be susceptible to "nut bloat".

As a faux bread though, I'd give it an A+!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I ate 1/2 the slice as an after dinner snack and stopped because my reaction to the mouth feel creeped me out a little bit. I was full the rest evening and then felt bloated the next day. I can't be certain it was the bread, because I generally treat nuts like a condiment rather than a food stuff, but I worry now that I may be susceptible to "nut bloat".
    I'm [very very verrrrry slowly] working on cutting out all nuts from my diet, as I'm fairly certain my chronic bloating is from my love of nuts and nut butters; for this reason, I stuck with the OP's base recipe which only uses coconut flour. Maybe give that a try!

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    If you don't have a microwave do you think this would work in an oven? Maybe 15 minutes at 325?

Update:

I ate it this morning and it was so yummy! It reminds me of cornbread, honestly. Adding parsley and garlic powder was a good choice and I look forward to experimenting with other flavors, herbs, and spices.

Also, I did not find it to have an "eggy" taste at all. It was airy, fluffy, and has a great mouth feel and crumb!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    I'm [very very verrrrry slowly] working on cutting out all nuts from my diet, as I'm fairly certain my chronic bloating is from my love of nuts and nut butters; for this reason, I stuck with the OP's base recipe which only uses coconut flour. Maybe give that a try!
    I will have to track down some coconut flour. It may be mail order only in my area.

Do you know the reason for "nut bloat"? The only "nut" I ate in any quantity previously was peanuts, as peanut butter, and I don't recall any obvious symptoms. But good reason not to look to nuts to increase my fat, I guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast