Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take a look? page

reba627 is offline Member

Take a look?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

First off, I've been eating primal/paleo since January 2011, not 100% 100% of the time, but usually (this year, especially) close to 90%.

Right now I'm on another round of a 21 day sugar detox (did a 30 day detox in April and lost 4 pounds in a month, then for the remainder of our 90 day challenge I only lost another pound).

I do CF about 4 days a week, I walk my dogs daily, anywhere from 1-3 miles, I get a solid 7 hours of sleep a night, I'm a massage therapist by trade so spend a lot of time on my feet. I'm a 34 year old female, 5'6", 157#.

I've been tracking my food intake for the past week to get an idea of how I'm doing and keeping my carbs low is definitely easy now that I'm not eating fruit or any other sugar, and I know that I don't have a lot to lose (I am more trying to lose this stubborn belly fat and get a little bit leaner as I've gone up a size in my clothing, ugh) but wanted to get some opinions from others to see if there are any changes I should be making to help get there.

As far as supplements go, I take fish oil, vitamin D, B12, Biotin (my stupid hair is thinning, ugh), and a few people have recommended adding in BCAA's post workout but I haven't tried that yet.

Here is a breakdown of my eating over the past several days:

Calories: 1696
    Fat: 122g
    Carbs: 58g
    Protein: 106g

Calories: 1675
    Fat: 119g
    Carbs: 61g
    Protein: 85g

Calories: 1855
    Fat: 102g
    Carbs: 55g
    Protein: 176g (had a big steak for dinner)

Calories: 1899
    Fat: 141g
    Carbs: 58g
    Protein: 105g

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Do you do any strength training?

Also, what foods specifically are you eating to get your 1600-1900 Calories per day?

And, have you read PB?

Also...

I recommend this to everyone (seriously) - ditch the scale and stop focusing on weight. Don't be a slave to the scale, as it will just drive you crazy. I've been there. Weight is not synonymous with health.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    AGH! You sound like me -- having the same weight issues, and eating about the same stats -- just finished a sugar detox as well. I +1 MissJecka's recommendation about the scales. I am avoiding mine like the plague, despite my frustration with my pants size right now. But it's not helpful. I hired a personal trainer who eats the way I eat, and gave me a great workout plan. We'll see if it works! So far, I feel great. But otherwise, everything looks really good. I'll standby curious to see what folks have to say.

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    I've done some reading (and I am no expert on this) that excess protein for your size can turn to fat if it is not utilized by your body. You may want to check my recollection though - try eatingacademy.com or Paleo Body Paleo Mind. I am not quite sure where I read it, but it was pretty recent.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    For me, 5'6, 185, that kind of calorie count is more of a maintenance level for me. I would not expect to lose weight eating that much. I know it gets argued around and around on here but at some point, for some people, to lose weight requires eating what looks like a small amount of food. I'm not saying cut back to 800 calories, but maybe try 1400-1600 instead of 1600-1800 and see where that gets you.

Very careful control of calories is how I lose weight; exercise is irrelevant, though when I regularly do weight type exercises, my body quickly gets smaller and firmer. For me cardio is pretty much not a help in the body reshaping department.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by catholicchick View Post
    I've done some reading (and I am no expert on this) that excess protein for your size can turn to fat if it is not utilized by your body. You may want to check my recollection though - try eatingacademy.com or Paleo Body Paleo Mind. I am not quite sure where I read it, but it was pretty recent.
    This. One formula that seems to be working for me is find your ideal weight in kilos. So for you I'm guessing maybe 140 (?) which is 63.5 in kilos. That is the number of grams of protein plus/minus 10% that you should aim for. So about the 57-70g/day range. Overdoing the protein portions is an easy way to keep yourself out of ketosis. Ketosis could really cause fat to burn from that midsection area. The Eating Academy is a great resource, IMO.

reba627 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Do you do any strength training?

Also, what foods specifically are you eating to get your 1600-1900 Calories per day?

And, have you read PB?

Also...

I recommend this to everyone (seriously) - ditch the scale and stop focusing on weight. Don't be a slave to the scale, as it will just drive you crazy. I've been there. Weight is not synonymous with health.
    Yes, depending on what our WOD is at my box, but we have been doing a lot of lifting focused workouts lately, and I do some kind of skill work every day (squat, C&J, deadlift, etc).

Today my intake has consisted of (so far) bacon sweet potato hash that I made (shredded sweet potatoes and a couple slices of bacon) and a fried egg, lunch was zucchini pasta I made with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, zucchini and a grilled rib eye steak.

Yes, I have read PB and am an avid follower of MDA, and I usually stay off the scale as I know how difficult it is for me to get the number to change (I've only "lost" 12 pounds in the nearly 2 years I've been eating this way and doing CF but my body has changed dramatically), but my measurements aren't budging either.

I do eat a little more because I'm usually starving from the WODs that I do, but I'll scale back on the calories and protein and see if that helps, but I don't want to up my fat intake too much to make up for hunger I might be feeling because I feel as if my fat intake is pretty high up there as it is (about 100g/day)

Thanks all for your suggestions!

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This. One formula that seems to be working for me is find your ideal weight in kilos. So for you I'm guessing maybe 140 (?) which is 63.5 in kilos. That is the number of grams of protein plus/minus 10% that you should aim for. So about the 57-70g/day range. Overdoing the protein portions is an easy way to keep yourself out of ketosis. Ketosis could really cause fat to burn from that midsection area. The Eating Academy is a great resource, IMO.
    If protein is that low and carbs are even lower, how in the world do you get any calories? I'm confused....

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    If protein is that low and carbs are even lower, how in the world do you get any calories? I'm confused....
    Lotsa fat.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Lotsa fat.
    Help me with this one - fat in what form? Unless my math is flawed that seems like a lot of cals to throw in there from fat....avocado, oil, fatty meats...yep, that's about all I've got. Can you tell I'm new to this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast