Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Low Carb and Sleeping page 4

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Shop Now
    do you make your own mascarpone cheese?

Walkerdog is offline Junior Member
    I had insomnia starting out but things got better. I remember reading lots of peeps have same problems on these posts. It's a small price to pay for everything else falling in line plus it goes away.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I wouldn't recommend buying his book. The guy was a bit of a nut in some ways like saying that this diet would make you a morally superior human being etc. Also the carbs he recommends for your tiny allotment are mostly grains that are prevalent in his native Polish diet.

So what I am doing is kind of the Primal version of the OD. Carbs from primal approved sources. That's why I say only loosely based on his work.

However nutty he may have been, this diet has been in practice in Eastern Europe for several decades with very good results.
    lol ya I guessed as much from what I read on the net. But will probably give his macros theory a go ahead using the primal foods as u mentioned

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    A piece of Free the Animal Fat Bread slathered in mascarpone cheese makes me very happy. And totally kills any desire to snack
    what recipe do you use? have you tried all the versions and recommend a particularly one? I went on the FTA site and saw bro had like three or four different versions! I am too cheap to be experimenting with organic nut butters all willy nilly like that lol

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    do you make your own mascarpone cheese?
    No, but that's an interesting idea. hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkerdog View Post
    I had insomnia starting out but things got better. I remember reading lots of peeps have same problems on these posts. It's a small price to pay for everything else falling in line plus it goes away.
    Yep, it's an adjustment for your whole system but an adjustment to a better more efficient metabolism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    lol ya I guessed as much from what I read on the net. But will probably give his macros theory a go ahead using the primal foods as u mentioned
    Depending on which "expert" on the OD you read, the formula varies a bit too. Some versions say up to 3.5xHSIS weight for the fat grams and that is just too much for me. The lowest I read was 2xHSIS meant to be for weight loss. So that's what I go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    what recipe do you use? have you tried all the versions and recommend a particularly one? I went on the FTA site and saw bro had like three or four different versions! I am too cheap to be experimenting with organic nut butters all willy nilly like that lol
    There was a thread here about it a week or so ago. Lets see if I can find it. Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63644.html

This contains the link to Richard's "Third times the charm" version of it. That's what I made. Read the comments in the thread about the calorie content. Very dense stuff.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-24-2012 at 07:15 PM.

HunterFood is offline Junior Member
    When I was very low carb I had terrible problems with sleep. I finally started eating a 1/2 cup of quick oats (mixed with water) before bed and I was able to sleep through the night.
    Starting weight: 258 lbs 06/20/11
    Current weight: 204 lbs 08/19/12
    Goal weight: 199 lbs??

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    If you dial back the protein a bit, you will have more room for the fat. Also too much protein will knock you out of ketosis. And your protein sources there poultry and eggs are all rather lean.
    Fascinating stuff. I have gone back over my tracker, sort of spot checking, and it is very interesting.

WARNING - Babble Zone ahead. Just typing out loud to try to make some sense of it all. Just when I think I have things figured out, and I am in control and in a good place in my mind, I start thinking about all this stuff and it just confuses me even more.

The majority of my weight loss was pre-primal. I was pretty much in Sparkpeople recommendations of 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. I was net carbs around 150 with things like Orowheat Thins and Beans and bran muffins daily. I was breakfast daily, usually steel cut oats or omelet or muffin, and probably 3 or 4 snacks in addition to lunch & supper. I was eating every 2 -3 hours and I was losing 10lbs per month. For a minute I wondered if some of that was muscle since my protein was lowish, but I don't think so. I was ST and/or cardio for an hour or more each day. And my protein was at the number suggested with this HSIS formula, so I assume that is muscle sparing.

When I went primal at first, I was low carb, low fat, high protein. I was just trying to figure out what I could eat. Weight loss slowed down to about 4lbs per month. I can see exactly when I discovered BP coffee because I was able to increase my fat, while keeping carbs low, protein high but also kept calories in check to around 1200 or less. And when I say protein high, it went from the 50g range to the 75-125 range. I also fell into IF at this same time.

I had lost weight prior to January (like 20lbs) but I didnt start tracking until January. So from Jan - Mid March (2.5 months pre-primal) I lost 23lbs. From Mid-March until yesterday (primal for 5 months) I lost 18lbs.

I know weight loss slows as you reach your goal, but I am only half to a third of the way there. I don't have a definite goal weight so I figure anywhere from another 60 - 90 pounds to go.

One difference I had already noticed was that after primal, I added more red meat. So this past week, I limited it. I had beef last night. I had ground venison earlier in the week. The rest has been chicken or fish. So I am curious what this will do come weigh-in tomorrow morning.

Maybe my calories have been too low. Before primal I was pushing 1500 - 1600 most days. After primal, mostly after BP coffee, those numbers dropped. 900 - 1100 but now-a-days (since I quit the BP coffee for breakfast) its more like 1200 - 1300. I just added structured exercise back in this week also, and I have been eating more like 1380-1540. I figured that would happen. I still IF most days, usually a Fast-5 but I had a 24 in there, but 2 or 3 days I either had breakfast or opened my window early.

Another difference - when I was losing 10lbs per month, I was eating constantly it seems, but also I was hungry all the time. I went to bed hungry. I woke up hungry. So had I continued down that path, I am not so sure how long I would have lasted. I am not so certain it would have been a lifestyle. The weight loss kept me motivated, but I was thinking about food 24/7. I quit the structured exercise because it just seemed to make me more hungry - that and I hated it. I thought it would be easier to reign in my calories. That was about the same time as going primal. I also thought going so low on the carbs that I wouldnt have the energy anyways.

So..........I just can't pin point anything, to any one given thing. It is all just so confusing. I hear up the fat. I hear cut back the fat cuz then your body doesnt burn it's reserve fat. My N=1 is just so all over the place. It appears to have been more successful at weight loss with higher carb, lower fat, moderate protein, moderate calories. But maybe that is a coincidence as maybe the tide was about to change in the other direction. But also, I was never full nor satisfied. So I guess I need to decide what is important. I think I know the answer to that already. I am hoping that I can keep fine tuning and figure out what might speed up progress. I hear people say "and the fat just melts away when I do this" And just when I think I have found my balance and I am happy, I start thinking about all this crap and doubt myself. Ketosis didn't seem to speed up any weight loss for me, but maybe protein WAS too high and I never was in it. The emphasis was always on the carbs so I reached for protein.

ugggh. Sorry for the nonsensical babble. I should know better than type anything at 4 am. (well that is when I started) I have lost 60 pounds and start to feel like I got this, and then I turn around and I still feel like I dont know a darn thing. double ugghh
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-25-2012 at 03:12 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    You hit the nail on the head right here.

"Ketosis didn't seem to speed up any weight loss for me, but maybe protein WAS too high and I never was in it. The emphasis was always on the carbs so I reached for protein."

Next time reach for the fat instead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234