Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb and Sleeping page 3

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It's takes a good solid two weeks straight in deep ketosis before things get humming along really well. But once they do, oooh, it's like a muscle car given a tankful of the high octane "good stuff". The engine just purrs. And sleep comes so easily. Plus waking up in the morning is a natural thing not a "Do I haaaave to get up?" thing.
    My advice would be give it some.
    Thanks Paleobird, this is what I needed to hear from someone who has been through it. If you don't mind me asking, how many grams of carbs did you consume to get into ketosis....the max I go to is 50g and yesterday I believe I was 25g.

Paleobird Guest
    The formula that I use to target macros is based loosely on Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet.

First figure you *ideal* weight in kilos. The weight where you could really strut a bikini. I call it the HSIS weight (Hot Stuff In Swimwear) For me 145lbs=65kg.

HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% is the range for protein grams so for me that is about 58-72/day
    HSIS weight divided by 2 is your target carbs, for me about 32
    HSIS weight times 2 to 3 is the range for fat grams so the low end for me is 130 gams/day and that is tough to make.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    thanks P! I will read up on this optimal diet

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    The formula that I use to target macros is based loosely on Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet.

First figure you *ideal* weight in kilos. The weight where you could really strut a bikini. I call it the HSIS weight (Hot Stuff In Swimwear) For me 145lbs=65kg.

HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% is the range for protein grams so for me that is about 58-72/day
    HSIS weight times 2 to 3 is the range for fat grams so the low end for me is 130 gams/day and that is tough to make.
    That's about 1280 in calories when I figured mine. When I am in ketosis, I am full on 900 - 1100 and I can get my carbs low enough, but fat never that high and my protein is always higher. When I have fewer carbs, I reach for protein to make up the difference - things like turkey or chicken, and more eggs. I am almost always under Mark's low-end guideline though, with the exception of a couple days this week when I topped out. I added more activity this week also.
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-24-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    That's about 1280 in calories when I figured mine. When I am in ketosis, I am full on 900 - 1100 and I can get my carbs low enough, but fat never that high and my protein is always higher. When I have fewer carbs, I reach for protein to make up the difference - things like turkey or chicken, and more eggs. I am almost always under Mark's low-end guideline though, with the exception of a couple days this week when I topped out. I added more activity this week also.
    If you dial back the protein a bit, you will have more room for the fat. Also too much protein will knock you out of ketosis. And your protein sources there poultry and eggs are all rather lean.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    thanks P! I will read up on this optimal diet
    I wouldn't recommend buying his book. The guy was a bit of a nut in some ways like saying that this diet would make you a morally superior human being etc. Also the carbs he recommends for your tiny allotment are mostly grains that are prevalent in his native Polish diet.

So what I am doing is kind of the Primal version of the OD. Carbs from primal approved sources. That's why I say only loosely based on his work.

However nutty he may have been, this diet has been in practice in Eastern Europe for several decades with very good results.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Yal I always just thought I was in ketosis, based on my low carbs. This is the first I have heard of protein affecting ketosis. So I don't really know if I ever really was or not.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

lexie is offline Senior Member
    This is fascinating - I don't know much about ketosis at all, so this has been eye-opening. Definitely something to explore, once I get the hang of this whole primal thing down.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member

Never heard of protein knocking you out of ketosis. It seems that every time I get there, the sleep deprivation drives me to the fruit bowl and I get knocked out of it, after only a couple of days. Following these recommendations, I'd only get 45-55g of protein a day, which would make me a very Sad Sophie.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    Never heard of protein knocking you out of ketosis. It seems that every time I get there, the sleep deprivation drives me to the fruit bowl and I get knocked out of it, after only a couple of days. Following these recommendations, I'd only get 45-55g of protein a day, which would make me a very Sad Sophie.
    A piece of Free the Animal Fat Bread slathered in mascarpone cheese makes me very happy. And totally kills any desire to snack

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast