Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb and Sleeping page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't know since I've been an insomniac since I was a teen and have learned to live with it - mostly. But I have noticed that if I save my serving of berries for a "midnight" snack, I usually fall asleep soon after. I don't know if it's the sugar (not added) in the berries, or if it's the ritual of it.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Can I just pick magnesium citrate at my local pharm?

OAN: I notice that even though I have had fewer hrs of sleep, I seem to have more energy than I thought i would. I feel a little wee bit how I felt when I poped some aderall to study for exams in LS. Wierd. Calm and Wired at the same time. :s

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    My own experience: I went really low carb and had few issues sleeping, but when I do, I use a bit of melatonin or some L-tryptophan to help. I also notice that I'm super sensitive to temperature now -- I must be sufficiently cool to sleep. So perhaps you are more sensitive to temperature?

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Can I just pick magnesium citrate at my local pharm?

OAN: I notice that even though I have had fewer hrs of sleep, I seem to have more energy than I thought i would. I feel a little wee bit how I felt when I poped some aderall to study for exams in LS. Wierd. Calm and Wired at the same time. :s
    I get mine online.

truly sounds like vlc "side effects" to me. Next for me - plunge into deep, deep depression (which is why below 50g is banned for me).
    Of course we are all so different it's hard to ever give advice.

Denise I agree with you. <50g might not be good for me either. I was actually thinking I will do a carb cycle with 40g three days and go up to 80-100g for a day and so on. I was thinking that I would be able to thrive on such a plan and experience quicker fat loss while improving my weight lifts. Now I can barely think too deeply and I am forgetting all the big words i need to use to sound smart lol. I kid. But seriously I feel foggy now. Ugh I am just hoping the "side effects" diminish over time.

smh

denise is offline Senior Member
    Denise I agree with you. <50g might not be good for me either. I was actually thinking I will do a carb cycle with 40g three days and go up to 80-100g for a day and so on. I was thinking that I would be able to thrive on such a plan and experience quicker fat loss while improving my weight lifts. Now I can barely think too deeply and I am forgetting all the big words i need to use to sound smart lol. I kid. But seriously I feel foggy now. Ugh I am just hoping the "side effects" diminish over time.

smh
    If its any help - mine disappear now after a single day back above 70g! (Mind you, I am never really below 50 for more than a few days and that would be "accidental". But if theres a fog, it lifts after pretty much 2 meals above 50g (and still below 100)

MistyP is offline Junior Member
    In the first week or two of primal, I would wake mid-night and have trouble getting back to sleep. That has gone away now, and I'm only about a month in.

okay, good to know MistyP

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I had trouble sleeping prior to low carb so I might not fit your criteria for answering.

What helped was going low carb, eating IF (large meal in the late evening), and plenty of sodium (on food per being low carb), and Epsom salt bath right before bed. I still toss and turn a bit, but I'm just a really lite sleeper.
    My low carbing coincided with IF. I had trouble sleeping and also had cold hands/feet.

My response was to increase the amount of food I eat in my 'window' (I now feel stuffed when I go to be in the evening), particularly bananas, on the grounds that it might be either a potassium or a carb deficiency. Whatever the cause, the bananas fixed the cold hands and the sleep (I now feel hot at night, so I think that the sleep was a continuation of the cold thing).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    So I have been gradually reducing the amt of carbs I consume. from roughly 120g to 60g. Yesterday I ate ~30g. I want to try carb cycling and weight lifting together to see what gains i can achieve at the gym. Anywho I need to know how my peeps who go real low carb manage with their sleep because I could not sleep until 4am and had to wake up at 6. My sleep is bad enough as it is and 1am is "early" for me but 4 is kinda crazy. So please share if you did encounter sleeping problems with going really low carb, and if these problem eventually disappeared and/or how you managed to deal.
    Thanks!
    It's takes a good solid two weeks straight in deep ketosis before things get humming along really well. But once they do, oooh, it's like a muscle car given a tankful of the high octane "good stuff". The engine just purrs. And sleep comes so easily. Plus waking up in the morning is a natural thing not a "Do I haaaave to get up?" thing.
    My advice would be give it some.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast