Thread: smoked salmon / bacon - sugar free vs wild / organic (london) page

captain joel is offline Member

smoked salmon / bacon - sugar free vs wild / organic (london)

Shop Now
    Hello

located in london

I eat smoked salmon every morning

wild alaskan has sugar, scottish farmed does not

I decided as I eat it every day , even if the amount of sugar is small, over a week it adds up ?

would you say the higher omega 3 level trumps the increased sugar intake?

the same goes with bacon, sugar free organic bacon can not be found. So i go for non organic, sugar free bacon

any thoughts

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captain joel View Post
    Hello

located in london

I eat smoked salmon every morning

I decided as I eat it every day , even if the amount of sugar is small, over a week it adds up ?

the same goes with bacon, sugar free organic bacon can not be found. So i go for non organic, sugar free bacon

any thoughts
    Maybe somewhat depends on the type of sugar. Cane or beet sugar or HFCS. It's a tough call and only you can make it. Salmon every day is an awesome thing to do. Getting the best salmon available is even better.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    also, organic isn't always everything it's cracked up to be. Do you know if the non-organic bacon is from a sustainable farm? Personally, I just avoided eating bacon until I found some that is from a farm that raises their pigs well and is sugar free. The more info you have, the easier it will be for you to make a decision.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain joel View Post

I would eat Scottish farmed fish, since the standard of fish-farming in Scotland is very high, but in general I reckon wild-caught trumps farmed.

I don't think it's just the omega-3/-6 ratio. Some farmed fish are farmed far too intensively: they're overcrowded; they're fed rubbish. (Actually, health reasons aside, I'd rather people didn't maltreat even fish.) And because of those living conditions they're liable to problems with parasites and so on and are consequently given antibiotics. They're also sometimes fed food-dyes to colour the flesh. (Since the Scots are scrupulous enough not to put dyes in the feed, to rectify that colour, you'll notice that their salmon look a bit pale and anaemic.)

I'd rather people didn't sugar my meat or fish ... <sigh> ... I suppose it's down to the tastes the average person has developed. However, it's probably only a little. (Have a look on the back of the packet for the number of grammes of carbohydrate.) If it's not a huge amount, I'd probably go for the Alaskan just because it is wild-caught.

But if you have to buy farmed fish Scotch is the best.

Pity the people who have to buy Chinese-farmed fish:

... two most glaring environmental weaknesses in China: acute water shortages and water supplies contaminated by sewage, industrial waste and agricultural runoff that includes pesticides. The fish farms, in turn, are discharging wastewater that further pollutes the water supply. ...

Farmers have coped with the toxic waters by mixing illegal veterinary drugs and pesticides into fish feed, which helps keep their stocks alive yet leaves poisonous and carcinogenic residues in seafood, posing health threats to consumers.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/wo...pagewanted=all

captain joel is offline Member
    Thank you for the comments

Its great to know that the scottish is better, yes it certainly looks pale which is a good sign.

I also eat a lot of alaskan salmon fillets that I make into sashimi, but it would'nt harm to get the alaskan smoked salmon once in a while, it just infuriates me that there is sugar in it.

On one hand I am fighting on principle, on another hand, the sugar does add up which is not desired and finally it tastes sweet, My taste-buds have changed being primal for 8 months. I cant take the sugar its disgusting.