Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Elizbeth page

Elizbeth is offline Junior Member

Red face Primal Journal - Elizbeth

Shop Now
    This is really just for me to track my progress and to jot down my thoughts, but if you would like to comment or make suggestions related to improving food choices or other aspects please feel free to do so. The only thing I ask is that any comments be respectful to all those who posts within my thread.

I would be considered obese and have been overweight most of my life, at least since my teens. I have always been very active even with the extra weight, until the past 5 years. I changed careers and now sit behind a desk all day, and this has taken a toll on my health and activity level. In the past couple of years my health has declined, due to back issues, painful joints, and sleepless nights.

I began this journey on 10 August 2012. after the first 3 days there were dramatic changes. I no longer had any joint pain, and I was sleeping better. A definite improvement. Still have back pain, but I do not expect that to change, other than maybe less pain as I loose weight.

Today, I am 10 days into my journey and I can say that I do feel better. I have little to no joint pain. Over the past few years, It was common for me to take 2 to 3 ibuprofen every morning and sometime another dose in the afternoon. I have only take 2 ibuprofen in the past 10 days, due to a headache.

I have not been hungry for the most part, except one day when I went much too long between meals, however, I did not eat anything unacceptable. I was able to hold off until I could cook something primal. That is definitely a big change! Normally, when I get to the point where I am so hungry I want to chew my own arm off I would eat anything in sight! Now I seem to be able to control myself, but I try not to put myself in that situation.

Before starting this journey, I was trying to eat fairly healthy, whole wheat, low carb and restrictive calories. All the while I felt like I was starving myself. Every couple of hours I was hungry, even though, I was eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. I got so tired of eating! I also thought about food all the time. I was also gaining weight or not loosing weight. Much of that has changed now; I do not obsess about food and I don't eat every few hours.

Over the passed 10 days, I have eaten chicken, hamburger, beef steak, eggs, turkey, smoked salmon, and bacon. My vegetables have Included: asparagus, lots of sautéed spinach, mushrooms, onions, avocados, bell pepper, and broccoli. I have also eaten cantaloupe, cherries, watermelon, blueberries, and bananas. I drink only water, which is something I was doing prior to changing my eating habits; I found it helped with the joint pain. I don't really care for salads, although I like most vegetables, so salads are not a big part of my meal plan. So far I have only used olive oil and bacon grease for oils.

I realize there is room for much improvement in my diet, but I will make those changes as I can. I will add some exercise in the future too.

I am still reading and trying to absorb all of the information and data available. I find it a bit overwhelming, but it is slowly sinking in. All of this goes against the stream of current wisdom, but the proof is in the positive changes I have experienced in such a short time.

I feel better and have little or no joint pain. In 10 days my weight has dropped 8.5 lbs, even though, I have eaten like a fieldhand! Not really, but compared to the quantity I was eating prior, it feels like it. I eat until I am satisfied but not stuffed. I haven't weighed food, counted calories, or restricted intake when hungry. I try not eat on any schedule based on the time of day. I eat when I am hungry, and I find that I can go much longer in between eating. I know there have been times that I have not eaten enough carbs, because I have had ketosis breath, but I am working on doing better.

As an example: for breakfast today I ate a couple of scrambled whole eggs cooked in bacon grease with maybe a cup of cantaloupe. For lunch I had a smoked turkey leg (I smoked it), sautéed asparagus and about a cup of watermelon. For dinner I had about 6 oz. grilled ribeye steak, sautéed spinach, mushrooms, onion, and red bell peppers. About 3:30 in the afternoon I had a banana. Again, I only drink water, so had water with each meal and throughout the day.

I still don't feel like doing a whole lot, outside of work and normal household stuff, but I'm hoping that will improve with time. I'm hoping as some of the weight comes off, I will be inclined to do more, however, some of this may be symptoms of menopause. I just have no energy.

My co-workers have noticed the change in my diet. They are telling me I'm eating too much fat, red meat, and etc. they are spouting the current wisdom monolog. I haven't had a whole lot to say, so far, because I'm not at a place, knowledge wise, that I'm comfortable defending the changes I have made. I get the basics, but need a bit more ammunition before I take aim and fire!

Take care,

Elizbeth

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are doing well. You may find you need to cut back on fruit. But whatever works for you. Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Sounds like you are doing well. You may find you need to cut back on fruit. But whatever works for you. Good luck!
    Thank you for your comments and encouragement. I agree that I'm eating too much fruit, and I am working on that. I probably ate a tad more fruit yesterday, than on most days. I find it difficult to eat veggies in the morning, so far. I think it's a mental thing, since I have never eaten veggies at breakfast my entire life. I think I need to try omletes and tuck them into it.

Today marks two full weeks of my Primal journey. I think I have done well, since I am just starting out. It's still a learning process. I am very happy with my results. My joint pain has completely gone away, which certainly helps one feel better physically and mentally. My energy level is still not up to par, but I do seem to be seeing a small improvement, and I am sure it takes time. I have lost 2 more pounds in the last week. One of the most dramatic changes is that I can sleep through the night now. I use to be very restless at night, only getting 3 to 5 hours of sleep a night.

My meals have been simple. Basically a serving of beef, chicken, eggs, bacon, or pork with a green leafy vegetable and othe things like mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, onions, celery, etc. i am working on improving breakfast. It's been mostly eggs and chicken or bacon. I need to add in some seafood in the coming weeks.

I was eating too much fruit, and have cut back on it, but not cut it out completely. The fruits I eat have been fresh cherries, cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, figs.

So far, I have been cooking with olive oil and bacon drippings. Coconut oil is not available locally, so will need to order online soon.

I have had no cravings, and hunger is a non-issue. I have been amazed that I don't get hungry until 1 or 2 in the afternoon if then. Prior to Primal I was eating every few hours and always felt like I was starving, plus I always thought about food. I was really beginning to think I was a food addict, but now I realize my body wasn't getting the energy it needed.

My doctor has dogged me for years about my weight, and lack of willpower. Telling me you just think you're hungry, but you really aren't. You just need a little more willpower. Umm, yeah I WAS REALLY HUNGRY! Sometimes i felt like i could have chewed one of my own limbs off! Just wait until our next visit; it's not going to be pretty. My co-workers have also commented on my food choices of late, and I haven't said a whole lot. I would be interested in hearing how others have handled the curiosity and questions from others about Primal.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment or make suggestions. I have been reading a lot on the forum trying to learn from others.
    Last edited by Elizbeth; 08-25-2012 at 09:17 PM.

It's been one month since I started my Primal journey, and I am down 17 lbs. I feel better than I have felt in a very long time. Recently, I have been working in my yard and other things that I haven't felt like doing in a while. I rarely have cravings for anything that is not primal, and when I do I have been able to quiet the craving with something that is primal. I am still amazed at how long I am able to go between meals without being hungry, even though, many of my meals are smaller than they use to be. Often on the weekends, I eat breakfast and my next meal will not be until late evening. Not because I'm trying to fast, but due to not being hungry. I have really tried to pay attention to my body and only eat when I'm hungry.

Another great side effect of all this is that I have had a patch of Psoriasis on my knee for about 4 years and it is healing! It has reduced in size by about half. I have spent thousands of dollars on doctor's visits and meds, which have never helped.

The constant joint pain I once had is completely gone. I sleep well at night and no longer have the need for naps on the weekends.

I have even notice a change in my mood. Things that might have once bothered me, now they don't. Of course, being hungry enough to chew my own arm off all the time might have caused that!

If you are considering going primal, all I can tell you is to try it for a month and see if you feel better. I am amazed at the changes in my life over the past month. The future looks great!

Take care,

Elizbeth

3 months in and down 27 lbs!

It's been three months since I started living Primal. I feel so much better. All aches and pains gone, except for back pain from an injury. The Psoriasis on my knee is almost completely healed. No more stomach issues.

I continue to work a lot in my yard, and my stamina has noticeably increased. When I work in my yard these days, I'm not totally wiped out after a couple of hours.

I have also lost 27 lbs. really without any effort. I have averaged a loss of 2 lbs. a week.

Still one of the most amazing things to me is how all of this has affect the way I sleep. I use to never sleep well. Now I sleep extremely well, and wake rested and ready for the day.

I still work on improving my diet, although, I am not obsessed about it. I try to eat at least one salad each day, but often i get in two. This is not the only vegetables I eat each day, but salads have never been a favorite of mine, but I enjoy them more lately. I probably still eat too much fruit on occasion. I love bananas and eat 3 or 4 a week, but the way I look at it is that I'm not eating cane sugar laden snacks or chips.

My only regret is that I didn't know about this way of life years earlier.

Take care,

Elizbeth
    Last edited by Elizbeth; 11-04-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Dear Elizabeth: Remarkable journey. I've really enjoyed reading your blog/journey and give you big thumbs up. Making changes to our lifestyle after many years is quite challenging, and I can tell from your posts that you reached the line in the sand and are now making some really great decisions re your health. You are not alone in dealing with comments by others who feel cheeky and free to comment on your food choices, amount of food and body composition. Why is it that people are so free to share their unsolicited comments anyway? I often have a few phrases up my sleeve when these situations present themselves. I like to use phrases such as: "Thanks for sharing that"; "That's interesting"; "Appreciate your input". I don't bother trying to educate others on my new lifestyle because doing so is exhausting and generally results in futility.

The best ammunition you can provide is a week to week, month to month, body recomposition. Over time, your true friends will genuinely ask you how you are doing it, and genuinely want to learn more from you. Be the quiet example, and lead by example.

I find my biggest laugh of of the day is how everyone quietly whispers to me: "Now don't lose anymore, okay". And that's funny because I'm still at 21% body fat, and I'm still within 15 lbs of being 'reasonably normal' in body weight. I believe that these comments stem from the fact that the majority of individuals are overweight, so anyone who looks reasonably fit must be "unhealthy and underweight". Anyway, that's my rant -- thanks for indulging me and I will continue checking in with your outstanding progress.

When you feel really entrenched into this lifestyle, try dropping the fruits bit by bit --- that will make the weight come off faster and reduce sugar cravings. Fructose is always beckoning me to come out and play!

Have an awesome day! /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Lu,

I think you are right about the comments by others related to what I'm eating. I have pretty much done as you stated. I have found that the few times I have tried to explain they argue with me about the merits of grain and etc., and it was exhausting as you stated. Plus, I don't think you can convince anyone. They are going to have to figure it out for themselves. When one first delves into all of this, it does seem bizarre because it goes against everything we have been force fed the past thirty years. Recently, it is very noticeable that I have lost weight, and a few have asked what I am doing. I just told them to look up Primal and Paleo.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Fruit is the only thing sweet I eat at this point, and I have decreased it a tiny bit, and will continue to do it bit by bit as you suggest. Some day I eat fruit but I have found lately that I don't eat any on orher days.

Take care,

Elizbeth

Cut out fruit and lost 5 1/2 lbs. in 7 days. Overall 32 1/2 lbs. down.

In the last seven days I have completely eliminated fruit from my diet. In those seven days I have dropped 5 1/2 lbs. This is certainly a testament to all those who have suggested to drop the fruit for increased weight loss. I must admit, there were a couple of days that I had a craving for fruit, but there was none in the house (I didn't buy any last week intentionally), so I was out of luck. I'm going to try my best to leave it out as much as possible in the future.

Overall since August 10th, I have lost 32 1/2 lbs. I find that astounding! Never in my life have I been able to loose weight without starving myself. It's been relatively painless, no huge cravings and I have eaten real food that tastes great.

I feel so much better. Yesterday I worked in my yard all day from 8:30 am until 5:30 pm, except for about 30 mins to grab a bite of lunch. I dug up 14 large clumps of Liriope and divided them, re-planted about 100 Liriope divisions, planted three small 3 gal. size trees, laid 20 bales of pine straw, trimmed a large hedge with manual tools no electric or gas powered tools, and watered everything that I planted and all my many pots on patio and etc. Today, I stained thirty 20" concrete stepping stones and watered all the newly planted plants, and took a nap.

I can tell you without a doubt, I could not have done any of this 3 or even 2 months ago. I am slowly becoming my old self again. Before beginning this journey, I was basically going to work and coming home and sitting on the couch. Washing a load of clothes or even taking out the trash was an effort. I had no energy or even desire to do anything. Actually, I take that back. I had the desire to do all the things I use to do, but no longer could do any of it.

I realize loosing weight helps, but it's more than that. As I have described in earlier posts, I was hurting all over, my joints ached even my finger joints had become painful. All of the joint pain disappeared very early on, before my stamina began to return.

I will never go back to eating the standard American diet or believe any of the conventional wisdom on diet and health.

Feel free to comment.

Take care,

Elizbeth
    Last edited by Elizbeth; 11-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Red face Weight loss continues on a steady course...37.5 lbs down

Today marks 145 days into my Primal journey, and I have lost 37.5 lbs. This averages out to be about 1.8 lbs per week. I think this is a nice steady pace. Some weeks I lose more, some less.

Over the holidays, I did not stress out about food choices, and a couple of time I did have a few bites of cake or etc. What I found was that I did not have an uncontrollable craving for those types of things. For the most part I continued to make good choices in what I ate.

At this point, food choices have become kind of second nature. I don't stress about what I will eat, worried whether I am making good choices. I do need to continue to try and add more variety. I tend to get into a rut with my food choices. I attribute this to being a very structured individual.

I have begun to use coconut oil occasionally, but I still prefer bacon drippings. I find that coconut oil smokes a lot. I tried using it to make baked hot wings. They were delicious, but the coconut oil smoked badly and the entire house smelled of smokey oil. I guess it's better to use for things that quickly cook.

I have continued to keep fruit intake low; I think I ate two bananas in the last month. I do however eat a piece of very good 70% dark chocolate on occasion.

I continue to feel good, sleep well, and have a good energy level.

All in all, I think I am making good progress. I could probably loose more weight faster, but I am happy with the progress I have made without being stressed out.

Take care,

Elizbeth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast