Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I ate a sandwich today.... page 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Grains are pretty much empty foods. We use grains to fatten up cattle and other livestock. Big agricultural businesses (agribusinesses) make a lot of money (low production costs + subsidies = large profits) trying to convince us that grains is good eats. Their executive officers rotate in and out of the USDA, FDA, etc. This means that the govt also puts forth that grains is good eats. And grains is good eats if you are trying to fatten up livestock.

Since agribusiness is in bed with govt, these grains are now largely GMO products. GMO is not just cross breeding various strains to come up with a better strain, but is actually laboratory interference.

Grains is good eats. GMO is good eats. Rock on.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    I'm a T1-D and the PB is and has been an immense help. I discovered on my own that even "whole grain" made my BL sugars rocket, thus making control more difficult and dosages larger. The PB goes further into the association betw. grains. certain fats, etc. and inflammation. This is a key that wd. be good for you to check out. It's not just a weight-loss tool altho it is that, too.
    Last edited by Terry H; 08-21-2012 at 04:31 AM. Reason: sp

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nady View Post
    can't help it~ every time i see the title of this thread, i hear a *so there!* at the end
    lmao

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Why Grains Are Unhealthy:
    Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

If you don't understand that's one thing, but you just seem to enjoy coming on this forum to write about how much you think grains are good for you when you haven't even tried to learn about why they aren't. Do you want to learn or just enjoy the reactions you get here?

Before you say this way of eating is dangerous you better understand it first for it has saved many people's lives including my own. The fact is your diet is dangerous in the long run whether you feel it now or not. So please educate yourself before making statements about a diet that helps people overcome illnesses that your diet causes.
    Last edited by healthy11; 08-21-2012 at 05:34 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Good read, good reminder. After awhile, things kind of run together and you read posts like the Original, and it is good to have reminders of why you thought the way you thought something. I dont have any noticeable problems with wheat, so sometimes I think what is the harm in a sandwich, or pizza, or my personal favorite - the pancake (aside from trying to watch my carbs). I think really though, I just like all the goodies on top of the pancake.

I really need to clean out my freezer and pantry. I still have things like wheat flour, barley, oh and get this, I have a bag of GLUTEN in there because someone told me it would make my homemade bread even better and more like store bought! I think I never threw it away before because I hate to waste, but I also do not want to use it nor give it to someone else, so I just need to pitch it. It's just taking up valuable real estate.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Congratulations, would you like a cookie?

While I realize a bunch of people are trying to lose weight, a lot of us have also enjoyed health benefits. I really don't miss the days of low fat, high carb with such great signs of health as:
    out of control sugar binges
    anxiety
    acne
    falling asleep at my desk by 3pm
    struggling to wake up
    more sugar cravings
    heartburn
    inability to lose weight

Oh... and I had 2 slices of pizza this weekend. I enjoyed the heartburn, bloat and lack of energy (though it tasted good).

Very glad that how you eat works for you. I used to eat that way. It worked poorly for me.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    It was a turkey, cheese, tomatoes, and spicy mustard and whole grain bread. I was a perfect lunch and such a relief to step away from primal eating. I actually had more energy then ever at work, and i stand for 8 hours a day working in a warehouse doing physical work. Personally for me being "PRIMAL" doesn't work for me, or at least I will never be 100% primal. Being primal seems to be more about people that want to lose weight which is awesome, but be careful, this whole primal thing seems dangerous. Just take caution. Eat healthy, don't be a slave to "name-brand" diet.

Peace!
    Spamtastic story bro!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Wonderfull! So, your point is?

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    It was a turkey, cheese, tomatoes, and spicy mustard and whole grain bread. I was a perfect lunch and such a relief to step away from primal eating. I actually had more energy then ever at work, and i stand for 8 hours a day working in a warehouse doing physical work. Personally for me being "PRIMAL" doesn't work for me, or at least I will never be 100% primal. Being primal seems to be more about people that want to lose weight which is awesome, but be careful, this whole primal thing seems dangerous. Just take caution. Eat healthy, don't be a slave to "name-brand" diet.

Peace!
    So, being a slave to "heart-healthy whole grains" is better? If you're going to enjoy some bread, for the love of God at least find a bakery (or bake at home) a true, authentic sourdough. I'm fortunate enough to find one within 2 miles of my house that bakes this. And this gluten-intolerant primal person thoroughly enjoys a couple of slices on an occasional Sunday morning when it comes out of their ovens so piping hot they can't put it in their slicer -- and I get no outward reaction. Give me a piece of whole-grain bread -- which tastes like ass-covered cardboard -- and I'll be down for the count for a couple of days. As Ayla said, a few slices of bread now-and-then isn't such a bad thing -- the key is choosing the indulgence (and recognize it's an indulgence and not a way of life) that's both incredible and the least damaging.

"Primal" is living your life in a reduced-stress, reduced-toxicity, strength-gaining way so when you're 85 you can wipe your own ass, clean your house, go for walks and remember your grandchildren's names. That daily sandwich for lunch on top of say brown rice for dinner every day is simply gonna eventually rock the inside of your gut. You could very well make it to 85 and be fine, but keep the steady flow of antinutrients and the chances are some sort of autoimmune disorder will creep in. Say goodbye to senior independence and welcome your Depends.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think the problem is that I really don't understand it. I mean obviously stay away from crap food, which I have been doing my whole life. But I am still confused why grains are bad for you? I even read the whole blueprint book, it's just not sinking in for some reason.
    You don't have to understand why they're bad, but can you get with they're not as good as other things? and so it makes more sense to eat things that have more "good stuff" than those things that don't have as much "good stuff," given the limited space within our bodies?

Further, does it make sense that sometimes eating "not so good" stuff is perfectly okay since it's infrequent? just like your sandwich adventure, which I also partake in, since I have no real issues with gluten and I'm lucky enough to basically have NO aversions to ANY food item I've EVER eaten? (I credit this to being born and raised in a third world country and playing with stray dogs and rolling in dirt for hours on end, drinking tap water, etc... strong immune system son, try and catch up!)

I agree with you that for people like you and I (assuming you also don't have strong reactions to anything) there is no imperative NEED to be a fully primal warrior 24/7 - 365 unless you just want to be able to make that claim, for whatever reason (to belong? I guess).

I was a very diligent primal when I first started, and this was great for me. I later re-introduced some things but to this day I've kept them strictly to social settings when I just don't care to fuss and just want to indulge. I'm a healthy young male in an appropriate weight range, so I see no need to avoid things at all times. When I cook, which is often, it's always primal, mostly because I find it incredibly easy to cook meat and vegetables and have no desire to wait for a pot of boiling pasta with no nutritional benefit whatsoever.

Not everybody can afford to be "balanced" or eat in "moderation" and so for those people, sammich adventures just can't take place - you have to understand that.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast