Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: I ate a sandwich today.... page 16

Penady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Truth.

I ate a can of frosting every day for lunch when I was 23. I was a toothpick too.

Now? Yeah, that really doesn't work.
    A tablespoon (or three or four) of frosting used to be one of my favorite snacks. Yeah, I was young with an iron stomach once too. Or so I thought...it caught up to me.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    The grains didn't catch up with me until I was 29. Took another 7-8 years to figure out it was the wheat.

IMO, it's not a coincidence that obesity, acid reflux, celiac, and other diseases suddenly went on an upswing in 1980+ or so. Isn't that when we began changing our wheat to dwarf hybrid? And don't forget that it was in the 80's that high fucktose corn syrup became widespread (first appeared in1977 in Ocean Spray cranberry cocktail, I believe).

Question: has anyone tried bread/crackers made with Emmer and Einkorn wheat? The older wheats are a simpler wheat with fewer types of gluten proteins. William Davis tried it and didn't have nearly the bad reactions that he did from modern wheat. Maybe that's something that Barefoot Gentile can do; make his bread from the ancient wheat and getting his carbs that way.
    5'0" female, 42 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: 105.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Wow. 16 pages over someone eating a sandwich.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    it was amazing, as sandwiches go
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    it was amazing, as sandwiches go
    Ahaha...!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    The grains didn't catch up with me until I was 29. Took another 7-8 years to figure out it was the wheat.

IMO, it's not a coincidence that obesity, acid reflux, celiac, and other diseases suddenly went on an upswing in 1980+ or so. Isn't that when we began changing our wheat to dwarf hybrid? And don't forget that it was in the 80's that high fucktose corn syrup became widespread (first appeared in1977 in Ocean Spray cranberry cocktail, I believe).

Question: has anyone tried bread/crackers made with Emmer and Einkorn wheat? The older wheats are a simpler wheat with fewer types of gluten proteins. William Davis tried it and didn't have nearly the bad reactions that he did from modern wheat. Maybe that's something that Barefoot Gentile can do; make his bread from the ancient wheat and getting his carbs that way.
    Does anyone know of any European flat crisp breads, like Ryvita or Wasabröd's Wasa, containing non-hybridized
    older strains of rye or other grains? My maternal unit was reading those damned newsrack 'health' magazines & quoting the 'experts' bread recommendations for dieters. She wants to start eating grains again, once I, the food-Nazi, leave her to her own devices & return to California. I figure if I can stock her pantry up w/ some better bad foods, she will be ok for a while without me policing her, haha...

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Upon further observation it seems that most here ate really bad when they were younger and it caught up to them later in life. Since I was teenager or younger I basically ate primal, before primal became a novelty name. My mom cooked primal back in the 70's growing up and she still does. Man I would be rich if I just wrote about food. For some reason I never ate garbage, fast food (only as a last resort), but pretty much kept it clean. I drank tons of beer when younger and still drink beer now.

I have noticed since i cut down the bread, grains I do not need to take any GU's or eat before a long run. I just got back from a 2.5 hour run, and just brought my hand held filled with water. I didn't eat anything just rolled out of bed and hit the streets, and never felt hungry.

Just curious what are the side effects for the people who get sick from eating wheat. I can eat wheat all the time and never feel sick, tired, bloated, etc. I make my own pizza's made with wheat dough once a week and always feel fine. But since wheat is bad for you I should maybe get rid of it, who knows though.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    Upon further observation it seems that most here ate really bad when they were younger and it caught up to them later in life. Since I was teenager or younger I basically ate primal, before primal became a novelty name. My mom cooked primal back in the 70's growing up and she still does. Man I would be rich if I just wrote about food. For some reason I never ate garbage, fast food (only as a last resort), but pretty much kept it clean. I drank tons of beer when younger and still drink beer now.
    I don't know if most here ate badly, it's just that grains, chemicals & sugar affect different people different ways. I survived & thrived in my childhood eating TONS of bread, pasta & sugar sugar, along w/ a 70s-80s style 'healthy' American diet too, lol...

I have noticed since i cut down the bread, grains I do not need to take any GU's or eat before a long run. I just got back from a 2.5 hour run, and just brought my hand held filled with water. I didn't eat anything just rolled out of bed and hit the streets, and never felt hungry.
    Cool. I work out 6 mornings a week in a fasted state too.

Just curious what are the side effects for the people who get sick from eating wheat. I can eat wheat all the time and never feel sick, tired, bloated, etc. I make my own pizza's made with wheat dough once a week and always feel fine. But since wheat is bad for you I should maybe get rid of it, who knows though.
    Now that is a perfectly non-trollish post with intelligent questions (though you could more simply & much faster, just type in key words/phrases in the search bar near the top of every page & find out for yourself, by reading/researching what's on here). There are apparently some ancient strains of grains out there, wheat & rye, that are not as bad as their modern, problematic hybrids most suffer through, Though still not optimal for health in the long run, grains can be eaten by some/many with no 'apparent' issues. Btw, I grew up athletic as my mom was a Junior Olympian swimmer & a swim/water ballet instructor. I was fed normal meat & potato fare with lots of fresh salads, steamed broccoli & other veggies & a fair amount of liverwurst (Jewish household), but also supplemented my diet w/ cakes, cookies, Twinkie's, King Dons, store bought ice cream etc etc. I came here to get healthier & extend my future life with a quality, scientifically sound, field-tested approach. I have never been overweight or had any adverse health conditions other than injuries/accidents/surgeries.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Did you see Mark's interview on the Diet Doctor's website? If not, you should because it's a great interview. In there he says he never had trouble with grains either until he gave them up and then felt incredibly so much better. He just never knew.

I was like that, too. I didn't have any trouble at all and still don't. But if I eat them regularly, I lose my feeling of vitality. I don't get IBS like Mark, but I get generalized inflammation and pain and I just start feeling like all these older people around me complaining about their shoulders and their brain fog and having to turn down activities and things. I believe my poor boyfriend has IBS from grains but he's opposed to this diet like you.

I ate fairly badly as a child, but they didn't have the HFCS yet. I did eat a lot of sugar. I had a lot of allergies as a young child, with acute immune responses like hives, that I assume I grew out of. None were to grains but I was not allowed to eat bread because of the yeast. I was allowed to have hard tack or bisquick biscuits.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Now that is a perfectly non-trollish post with intelligent questions (though you could more simply & much faster, just type in key words/phrases in the search bar near the top of every page & find out for yourself, by reading/researching what's on here). There are apparently some ancient strains of grains out there, wheat & rye, that are not as bad as their modern, problematic hybrids most suffer through, Though still not optimal for health in the long run, grains can be eaten by some/many with no 'apparent' issues. Btw, I grew up athletic as my mom was a Junior Olympian swimmer & a swim/water ballet instructor. I was fed normal meat & potato fare with lots of fresh salads, steamed broccoli & other veggies & a fair amount of liverwurst (Jewish household), but also supplemented my diet w/ cakes, cookies, Twinkie's, King Dons, store bought ice cream etc etc. I came here to get healthier & extend my future life with a quality, scientifically sound, field-tested approach. I have never been overweight or had any adverse health conditions other than injuries/accidents/surgeries.
    I will be utilizing the search option from now one. I am half Irish and Italian, what a compo! Anyways I can relate to the meat and potatoes growing up, that was the Irish side of my meals. Pretty cool about your mom!

I prefer running working out in the morning in a fasted state. I have so much more energy than I would if I worked out later in the day.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast