Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor/Apartment Cooking page

KB29 is offline Junior Member

Indoor/Apartment Cooking

Shop Now
    So work circumstances have recently caused me to relocate cities, which included leaving my house and outdoor grill, smoker, etc. and move into an apartment. I'm finding it difficult to cook all of this meat without smoking out the apartment and setting off the smoke detectors. Not to mention the constant smell.

Any ideas or tips for cooking things like steak, bacon, etc. without causing so much smoke?

Paleobird Guest
    Sounds like you need a crock pot. Keeps the whole meal in one pot. Also you can do a big potroast this way andthen have several meals off it just by reheating portions.
    I don't eat bacon but I've seen it done in the microwave using layers of paper towels in between layers of bacon strips to sop up the grease. But that would be a waste of some good grease.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    What PB said--crock pots/slow cookers are great.

I like to cook bacon in the oven. Put the slices on a cookie sheet or pan with a lip all around, cook at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Then you can still drain the bacon grease into a container for future use. I cook a whole package this way, leaving it slightly underdone, and refrigerate what I don't eat right away. Then later I microwave a few slices for 15 seconds or so.

A panini grill or Foreman grill is a good way to do "barbeque" indoors--it works great for grilling any sort of meat.

I can't think of a way to smoke meat indoors, though.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Hmm well... I don't know about all this smoke, as when I cook meat it doesn't smoke? Maybe just cook at a slightly lower heat or something.

Do you have an extractor fan? That would help as well.

Being as I only ever cook outdoors in summer, and even then not all the time, I've never really questioned the ability to be able to cook indoors without a problem!

(Errm if you are actually trying to smoke meat, though, I understand why you've got an issue... I was just thinking about cooking meat in general not being problematic).

a-ray is offline Member
    The only time I really smoke up the apartment where I live is when I cook a steak in a cast iron skillet. I've never had any problems cooking bacon and smoke. I would suggest try to cook on a lower temperature.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I cook ribeye steak in the oven. This keeps the smoke down and actually makes such good steak that I've gotten raves from my very picky boyfriend. I do have a nice oven with a probe, though, so it might not be totally practical for everyone.
    Tiny Urban Kitchen: Oven to Pan Seared Prime Ribeye Steaks
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing you don't have a deck, or you're not allowed to put a grill on your deck? If that's the case, then yeah, maybe a george foreman grill or a crockpot would do you well.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Turn the heat down- you shouldn't be getting smoke from a pan.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Put the fan on and open the window and just start the meat on the pan and finish it in the oven. Besides, if you are not completely cooking it on pan then you don't need as high a heat to caramelise (a la Jamie style). As for bacon, shouldn't smoke.

Just avoid cabbage, that stuff stinks a small place out for weeks!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielfire View Post
    start the meat on the pan and finish it in the oven.
    That is probably the best way for steak, in a cast iron, but I usually just finish it on the stove.

Are you cooking in butter? That doesnt do heat as well as CO. As others mentioned, the heat might just be too high. It might not be the same settings as you are use to at home. When my son cooks, he thinks 2 minutes on high must be twice as good as 4 minutes on medium.

I also have a NuWave Oven that sits on the countertop that I like to use for some things once in awhile.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast