Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psyched on my primal cholesterol levels! page

ciep is online now Senior Member

Psyched on my primal cholesterol levels!

Shop Now
    So I established with my new doctor today. He's the first doctor I've ever had (excluding my pediatrician way back when). I was pretty excited for this because it'd be my first time ever getting bloodwork done. Here's my cholesterol report:

Total - 192
    HDL - 98
    LDL - 89

Trigs - 22

Oh, and fasting blood glucose - 74 mg/dL

Pretty psyched! That's what eating a basically primal diet for the last 5-6 years has gotten me.

Unfortunately I only had a basic metabolic panel done. I just let my doctor decide what to order, and since I had no health issues to report (and nothing observably wrong) he kept it pretty minimal. Next time just to satisfy my curiosity I'll ask for a cRP, A1c, and maybe some endocrine markers (thyroid, test, etc), but whatever, I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

So yeah, 2 dozen eggs a week, fatty red meat, butter, dark chocolate... apparently this stuff isn't doing me in!

--------------------

Anyway, that said, one thing that I wouldn't mind some forum input on is my fasting triglyceride level. I expected it to be low, but not that low. Anyone have thoughts on this? I never looked into it, but I assume there must be a point where trigs can be considered too low. If so, what might be that level? I'm certainly not concerned -- I feel great and appear healthy by every conceivable standard, but considering how much fat I eat I assumed by trigs would be up around 50 or so at least. 22 is quite a bit lower than I expected.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Nice numbers!!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    That's pretty fantastic! I don't think I've ever seen HDL higher than LDL, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention...

Balance is offline Senior Member
    My last panel was pretty similar.
    90 HDL
    98 LDL
    198 Total

33 Trigs

I have been Paleo/Primal for a little over 4 years. I eat grass fed beef, lamb, fish 2x per week, 1-2 dozen eggs per week, and tons of veggies. I don't do dairy unless its ghee or raw cheese. I use a lot of coconut oil too. I tend to be pretty strict with my diet. We have pretty comparable numbers overall. Congrats!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing. Looks great. Mine have gone the other direction since March But if I understand correctly, when applying the ratio formula, they are still okay.

My tris have come down by almost 100 points though, but not near as low as yours. I was on about a 20 hour fast before blood work.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    My doc says that tris are grain-related -- if you don't eat grain, you'll have low tris.

Your numbers are fantabulous. Five years, eh? That's amazing, and truly inspiring.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Fingers crossed that my "hereditary high cholesterol" will be positively affected by this lifestyle. I have yet to have any bloodwork done since my paleo/primal beginnings, but if it's anything under where I started (226 total, which is a record low for me already!) I'll be happy. My ratios and tris have always been good or ideal, but my LDLs have always been borderline-high or high. Doctors have told me my whole life that just like my parents, I was screwed at birth and will always have high cholesterol, and will eventually have to be put on Lipitor. I hope to show them otherwise!!!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

ciep is online now Senior Member
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Mine have gone the other direction since March But if I understand correctly, when applying the ratio formula, they are still okay.

My tris have come down by almost 100 points though, but not near as low as yours. I was on about a 20 hour fast before blood work.
    Absolutely. Ratios all are that matter, and the type of LDL you're producing. My total was under 200, which the typical doctor would like, but I could care less about that. I'd be equally happy with a total of 250 as long as my ratios were great, my trigs were low, and my LDL was pattern-A.

Congrats on dropping your trigs by 100 points, that's really incredible, and it did you a world of good!

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    My doc says that tris are grain-related -- if you don't eat grain, you'll have low tris.

Your numbers are fantabulous. Five years, eh? That's amazing, and truly inspiring.
    Well, 5 years of almost entirely whole and natural foods (pretty much nothing processed). I didn't give up grains though until about 2 years ago when I first read The PB and The Paleo Solution. I also started eating red meat around then (prior to that the only flesh in my diet was seafood).

I really wish I had bloodwork from about 3-4 years ago to compare to. It'd be interesting to see what the removal of grains has done.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Fingers crossed that my "hereditary high cholesterol" will be positively affected by this lifestyle. I have yet to have any bloodwork done since my paleo/primal beginnings, but if it's anything under where I started (226 total, which is a record low for me already!) I'll be happy. My ratios and tris have always been good or ideal, but my LDLs have always been borderline-high or high. Doctors have told me my whole life that just like my parents, I was screwed at birth and will always have high cholesterol, and will eventually have to be put on Lipitor. I hope to show them otherwise!!!
    Good for you. Don't ever take statins. I would be perfectly happy with a total cholesterol of 226. Total cholesterol varies widely among individuals, if your ratios are good and your trigs are low then you're probably in great shape. Go one very important step further by keeping systemic inflammation low (via a primal diet!) and you're virtually CVD proof.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    My total cholesterol was most recently a pleasant 260-ish. My HDL is 94 and my Direct LDL is 134 at last measurement, a far cry from what they measured at without direct testing. Trigs were low, around 40. I know this, but lately I've come to realize more and more how unimportant these numbers really are on the whole.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Unfortunately I only had a basic metabolic panel done. I just let my doctor decide what to order, and since I had no health issues to report (and nothing observably wrong) he kept it pretty minimal. Next time just to satisfy my curiosity I'll ask for a cRP, A1c, and maybe some endocrine markers (thyroid, test, etc), but whatever, I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

--------------------

Anyway, that said, one thing that I wouldn't mind some forum input on is my fasting triglyceride level. I expected it to be low, but not that low. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Be careful of over testing. The less diagnostics you run the better. There are many dangers associated with diagnostic tests and assumed necessary interventions. Many things that may fall outside of normal range are normal variants, false positives, or due to imprecise testing. This all leads to intervention.....which always carries risk.

So when not confronted with any overt symptoms or significant history I think your doctor had the right idea. Minimal testing with no real intention at intervention as long as things were not way out of range.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...lth/52284494/1 Just an article, but there are significant scientific studies to back up the premise if you wanna look for them.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-22-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast