Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How strong should I be? page

wolfman is offline Senior Member

How strong should I be?

Primal Fuel
    Hey all, just thinking, feeling weak in the gym as of late. Just wanted to throw my numbers out there and see what other people were hitting, I just don't know if I am strong, sometimes I feel strong sometimes I don't.

Squat: 275 x 3
    Military: 135 x5
    Dead: 315 x 1
    Bench: 245 x 2

All my lifts feel fine except my bench, it just always feels so heavy.

steve.mull is offline Member
    Your age, height, weight, fitness level would help, but overall they don't look too shabby.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What routine do you do? It may be time to mix up an advanced 5x5 or 3x5 routine
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

5'10, 168, I was doing 5x5 pretty much, main lifts being military, dead, squat, bench, with some accessory work.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I feel like if my bench was that high my squat and dead would be much higher. I can't bench nearly that much but can squat and dead more. But then again my upper body is much weaker than my lower body... don't know why. Nonetheless, that's plenty strong
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

steve.mull is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    I feel like if my bench was that high my squat and dead would be much higher. I can't bench nearly that much but can squat and dead more. But then again my upper body is much weaker than my lower body... don't know why. Nonetheless, that's plenty strong
    That's much like my friend who is an aspiring power lifter. He's also around 5'10" and pry 160 ish. His squat is around 325, dead 390-400, not sure press but his bench is relatively weak at 225 x 1. The reason the bench probably feels so heavy is that your core is isolated against the bench. All the other lifts have your entire body to support the movement.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    So much of what one can ultimately lift is genetics. It all has to do with leverage and tendon length. That's why there are guys who appear to have little muscle that can lift way more than guys who appear to have lots of muscle. So strength is all relative. If you do this long enough, you'll accept where you are as far as a range goes and then you work to improve within that range. There is no sense worrying even a little about it as it is what it is.

The key and goal is to be as strong as YOU can be within those predetermined genetic parameters.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    To me those are weights that I'd be happy with as goal weights. I don't understand why EVERYBODY is stronger than me here, even 10 year old girls it seems. But at the same time I'm stronger than basically everybody I know personally (?)

Squat - 150 x 3 x 5
    Bench - 120 x 3 x 5
    Press- 110 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 170 x 3 x 5

After 5 months SS.
    Sorry, just had to vent. But yeah I say you're strong
    Billie trips balls

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'd say your ratios are out slightly and it would be good to see the deadlift up a little higher. Also, what are your singles for the squat. OHP and bench?

I haven't ever tried to reach my one rep max, I deadlifted 315, it was heavy, but I didn't struggle. I should probably figure out my 1RM for my lifts and work off percentages of that via 5/3/1, I just guess usually, 245 on the bench was hard, my brother had to spot me slightly, so I would say 1RM would be about 250 or maybe 255.

For me it's confusing reading all the articles I read, Dave Tate, Jim Wendler, etc, and then I read some primal stuff and read up on Mark Rippatoe and everyone's saying just do the barbell lifts, so I do that, but I know my shoulders and back and tricepts need attention that just pressing won't give.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast