Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Protein sparing modified fast, but Primal. page 3

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    personally, i'd switch out the nuts for more meat or more dairy, since you seem to tolerate it. a handful of nuts is a whole lot of calories and not as much bang for the buck nutrition-wise as animal protein.

and seriously, wait for extreme fasting and potions. once your body is humming along more happily, i doubt you'll need either.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

merryish is offline Senior Member
    You said bananas are a staple - how many bananas, exactly? If weight loss is your goal, I'd cut the bananas (and also not eat apples or grapes) and stick to strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries when you want fruit.

Nuts can also make a lot of people (like me) stall, even in small quantities.

I agree with everyone who's suggesting you hold off on any extreme fasting until you've been eating clean for at least a few months. Maybe try a Whole30 if you're eager to radicalize your eating, and see what happens. Otherwise, IFing is a valuable tool but can screw up your body if you jump into it when you're still recovering from SAD eating practices.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I'd agree about skipping both the nuts and the bananas. Both of these could be keeping you out of ketosis.

And I 100% agree with all those who have suggested that you give yourself more time to eat primal and let your body heal. There is plenty of time down the road for something more radical.

2tall is offline Member
    I eat 1-2 bananas a week.
    don't want the ECA stack.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I eat 1-2 bananas a week.
    don't want the ECA stack.
    Good. Your digestive system doesn't need that kind of irritation.

I really think the whole Lyle M system is meant for losing a few vanity pounds for muscle heads. A healthy strong body can handle it without too much trouble but even Lyle says that it shouldn't be done for too long at a stretch. Why? Because it's not healthy.

If you kept your calories about even but brought the protein down a bit and the fat up, you could be in ketosis, repairing your damaged innards while losing a few pounds too if you want. And you can live that way permanently.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Vote 1 for healing first.
    When you are 6 months in, IBS clear, pumping iron & burning calories and if there is no weight loss by then, by all means take specific measures to trim those pounds.

Anyone doing this should take out at least 3 months to settle the diet in before making any serious assessments, but with a pre existing health condition, settling in is even more crucial.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merryish View Post
    You said bananas are a staple - how many bananas, exactly? If weight loss is your goal, I'd cut the bananas (and also not eat apples or grapes) and stick to strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries when you want fruit.
    Why? 100 calories from a banana isn't going to make you lose weight slower than 100 calories from berries, or 100 calories from avocado or eggs.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    In addition to what has been said above, many people find that dairy causes weight stalls or gains. Especially non fermented dairy, like milk. Might be worth seeing if you can reduce or quit the dairy. But Really I think I'd give it another month or two before you try to tweak stuff too much or start into the IF thing much.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    In addition to what has been said above, many people find that dairy causes weight stalls or gains. Especially non fermented dairy, like milk. Might be worth seeing if you can reduce or quit the dairy. But Really I think I'd give it another month or two before you try to tweak stuff too much or start into the IF thing much.
    Dairy causes stalls in weight loss for one reason: it's very calorically dense. People on this website are also strongly against lower fat dairy, and buying full-fat adds up very, very quickly. You can eat an entire head of lettuce for less calories than an ounce of cheddar cheese. Dairy, nuts and chocolate are some of the most calorically dense foods on Earth outside of isolated oils, so it's no wonder they're the common "stall" foods. It's tough to stall on chicken breast and cauliflower.

Fermented dairy won't make you lose weight faster than non-fermented dairy. It may make you bloat less because it's partially digested, but that's fake water weight. Fermented dairy actually generates more insulin than non-fermented dairy. Actually, fermented dairy generates more insulin than white bread, but I digress.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

2tall is offline Member
    I have a glass of milk 3 times a week. I do eat a good amount of cheese though.

Thanks for all the input on this. I'll give it at least two more months before I do something drastic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast