Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your triggers? page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

What are your triggers?

Lately I have realized that having a cup of tea triggers snacking for me. ANy ideas on what I can start to associate with tea time---instead of dark chocolate, or more recently GF sweets?! With fall approaching it will be harder to give up a lovely cup of tea. I just dont see me associating it with a side of bacon...I need some retraining!

ryan54 is offline Member
    Sugar.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    For me: nuts and nut butters. God, I love them and I've posted a thread that has gotten lots of attention lately as to how excessive my consumption is. When I start, I can't stop... seriously.

Regarding your issue, try what I'm going to try (but keep procrastinating... whoops!). Just stop. Remove the trigger from your household.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    What time of day are you having your cup of tea? What kind of tea is it? Are you adding sugar to it, or is it plain? My initial thought is to have it later in the day or with a meal or designated eating time, which should eliminate the issue. You could have some tea with a wonderful coconut flour bread (completely primal -- not even sweet!), and enjoy it that way. More often than not, I think these triggers affect us because the things we shouldn't have are available. Stop having GF goodies available. Make some things that you enjoy that feel like an indulgence -- coconut oil bars, tahini truffles, whatever. I can't over do coconut oil bars.

My personal trigger is sugar, but not just any sugar -- things designed around sweetness. I can have a little honey on a piece of coconut bread and be fine. But put that honey on something sweet, and suddenly I want to eat honey right out of the container. I can't decide if it is taste or mindset -- I think with me, it's mental thing, which I intend to work on. But I also have noticed, particularly this weekend after an indulgence of goat's milk ice cream, that my blood sugar is easily swayed as well. so that may also be adding fire to the marshmallow.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Lately I have realized that having a cup of tea triggers snacking for me. ANy ideas on what I can start to associate with tea time---instead of dark chocolate, or more recently GF sweets?! With fall approaching it will be harder to give up a lovely cup of tea. I just dont see me associating it with a side of bacon...I need some retraining!
    This sounds like an mental association, like when ex smokers fall off the non-smoking wagon if they have one drink. Somehow the drink in one hand and the smoke in the other just *go* together. It seems tea, in your mind just goes with sweet stuff, chocolate, gf sweets. Do you every have something salty with your tea? Pick something you really like that's salty and deliberately pair it up. See what happens.

Also, are you drinking caffeinated tea? It's possible that the same times you are craving the caffeine "pick me up" are the same times you have been craving a sugar boost.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    nut butters are totally a trigger for me. will eat it til i am sick. i stopped buying it.

i don't make paleo treats cuz i don't have a sweet tooth, but i know they are a problem for many. it just keeps feeding the sugar feedback loop in your head and never gets the monkey off your back.

is it just habit to have a cookie/treat with tea? or are you actually hungry? is the tea a late afternoon cuppa or something after dinner?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Maybe something to read and some berries? Or like Paleobird said, something the total opposite of a sweet. Or start turning tea time into a semi-meditation time?

My triggers? Clear spirits. One or two shots actually makes me less hungry, but if I go for the burn I can easily eat a whole container of cherry tomatoes just because they're there. The good news is that my home is pretty primal except for some old condiments I'm waiting to toss because I have a hard time tossing food that's not spoiled. But I never get drunk enough to say, drink an old bottle of soy sauce, so I'm good there.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Fresh, homemade desserts and breads, especially if my niece had a hand in it, will make me fall every. single. time. Have you ever tried to turn down a 3rd grader when she made cookies she knows you like? If you can, and it's not because of an allergy or celiac's, you're a cold hearted bastard.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

tumbleweed is offline Member
    Sugar is a trigger for me.....I ALWAYS want to snack when my carb intake for the day is higher than usual.

And fatigue makes me want to run for food, too. Maybe you just need a nap instead of a cup of tea?

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do like afternoon tea, and yes, lately it's been caffeinated---Numi's Gunpowder Green Tea (I'm in love). I could see that maybe it's associated with a pick me up. But if I have tea with breakfast, then all of a sudden my bacon and eggs needs something sweet to follow it (so really tea just equals sweet treats for me). I dont put any sweetener in my tea---dont really want to go there and start though. I have thought about just dropping tea altogether. I wonder if sipping hot water would have the same effect?

As for treats---my kiddos are both gluten and dairy free---and I am an AMAZING baker of all things GF. I dont always have something sweet like that in the house, but lately it's been around more than it hasnt been. Hoping with back-to-school time I can get back on track!

I'm hungry right now--and have at least 2+ hours until dinner and am thinking I might opt for a small glass of grapefruit juice---not sure if this is better or worse, but I guess I'll find out!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast