Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your triggers? page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenrun View Post
    solstice,

I love a hot mug in the morning. I gave up my coffee with milk and switched to green tea which has less of a caffeine effect in me. You were already drinking green tea ... if you want to give up the caffeine but still want a nice warm mug in the morning why not try some herbal tea (chamomile, lemon, mint, etc.)? I read that green tea contains the amino acid L-Theanine which calms the nervous system so might mitigate the effects of caffeine. For myself I find that green tea is much less stimulating. I could nap after a mug of green tea but could never do that with coffee.
    I like Rooibos tea hot or iced or made into jello blocks. As much antioxidant power as green tea but zero caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    on days i am sleep-deprived i definitely have trouble controlling impulse-eating. it's a battle royale all day. do you sleep well?

lol, or maybe just nap instead of having tea and treats.
    Sleep is definitely a factor in munchies feelings for me.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    interesting...I do not feel overly stimulated from a mug of green tea---and can have it in the evening and sleep fine.

I am coming off of a sleep deprived camping weekend---late nights, loud bluegrass music, crying babies in neighboring campsites. Slept fabulously well last night though so I think I'm getting back on track.

Dinner tonight seemed unable to satiate my appetitie -- chicken thighs cooked in bacon drippings, side of bacon and romaine lettuce. I opted for two scrambled eggs and am feeling much more even-keeled at the moment.

paleobird--do you think as epileptics, our brains crave sugar for it's role in excitotoxicity?

I love rooibos tea too---and that is usually my non-caffeinated choice!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    interesting...I do not feel overly stimulated from a mug of green tea---and can have it in the evening and sleep fine.

I am coming off of a sleep deprived camping weekend---late nights, loud bluegrass music, crying babies in neighboring campsites. Slept fabulously well last night though so I think I'm getting back on track.

Dinner tonight seemed unable to satiate my appetitie -- chicken thighs cooked in bacon drippings, side of bacon and romaine lettuce. I opted for two scrambled eggs and am feeling much more even-keeled at the moment.

paleobird--do you think as epileptics, our brains crave sugar for it's role in excitotoxicity?
    I don't really crave sweets much but I know that the first night I ever had a seizure was when I had stayed up til 4am studying with a pot of coffee and a stack of chocolate bars. When I went unmedicated I cut out sugar and caffeine and was able to cut back my seizures by about half.

So, to answer your question, I don't know if our brains crave it more, I just know that ours can't handle it as well.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Rooibos tea is one of the few types that I actually like. Yum!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

interesting, my first seizure was after a late night sleepover with a high school girlfriend. I'm sure my suspected college seizure(s) were influence by lack of sleep as well. I am usually most protective about my need for sleep---very cranky about this past weekend and my lack of it for two nights.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    My friend who has epilepsy is very much affected by lack of sleep. When she has her seizures (usually a couple per year), it's after not getting much sleep... and missing her medication... sigh...
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Rooibos tea is one of the few types that I actually like. Yum!
    Yes, most herbal teas are to fruity or flowery for may tastes. Rooibos has some body to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    My friend who has epilepsy is very much affected by lack of sleep. When she has her seizures (usually a couple per year), it's after not getting much sleep... and missing her medication... sigh...
    The one time I have had a seizure in the past six years was after a marathon trans-Pacific flight to China where you cross the date line and are all turned around about sleep when you get there. Plus I didn't have my dog with me to wake me up.

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    lately I have been overeating cream, and macademian nuts and I quit buying almond butter because it is too good.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cavequeen View Post
    lately I have been overeating cream, and macademian nuts and I quit buying almond butter because it is too good.
    Any size container of macadamia nuts is not safe in the same house with me. The good self limiting thing about them is that they are rather expensive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast