Thread: Primal Journal--- Vicki Lynn page

VickiLynn is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal--- Vicki Lynn

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello! What follows is my first forum entry, made on 31 July of this year on the "Meet and Greet" topic. I pasted it here today because I thought it would be a good way to start my journal.

I have struggled since that first forum entry because of what I call the "triple threat:" my birthday followed by my anniversary, followed by my daughter's birthday, all three of which happen within 8 days. All the celebrating led to a massive "backslide" so I gained back the five pounds I lost in the first month of going Primal.

Support, understanding, and a good motivating kick when necessary are all what I hope to gain from keeping my Primal journal here. Perhaps I can be supportive in the same way to others here as well.

Now that my journal is established I am excited to move forward in Primal Mode!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your location:Ohio

Age (If you want):46

How Primal are you:I would say that I am frustratingly at about 75% there, but very motivated and working hard to make a complete change soon.

Do you consume dairy:Yes; I eat full-fat Greek yogurt- about three 8 oz. servings a week. I have about one ounce of full-fat cheddar once or twice a week, and then I really like a serving of Bluebonnet whey protein isolate powder mixed with unsweetened coconut milk once or twice a week.

Do you drink coffee or tea:Coffee, black, sweetened with either stevia, cane sugar, or maple sugar (no more than one tablespoon of the sugar per day)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Desire to improve my diet and health.To kick a strong sugar addiction. To lose excess body fat and improve muscle strength. All of these thing have happened In the last month of trying to switch to "primal mode!" I have lost five pounds and alleviated the pain and symptoms I have had with osteoarthritis, autoimmune thyroid disease, and fibromyalgia. Another words, a noticeable amount of daily pain symptoms just went away after about a week.

Favorite exercise: Zumba Fitness, walking, Tabata, and strength training.

Favorite Primal food: Avocado

Best part about being Primal:That fats actually DO fuel my body and that I don't have to nearly kill myself with cardio to feel fit, confident, and healthy.

Worst part about being Primal: Right now, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, haha. There isn't a worst part for me yet!

VickiLynn is offline Junior Member
    Today I report that I have given up dairy and all sugar (plus stevia) since last Thursday! Here is how it started:

Last Wednesday (the day before I gave up sugar and dairy) I had a massive sugar binge. My daughter and I went to our favorite outdoor shopping area for the day to enjoy some time together before school starts. It was innocent enough: two caramels. Then it ballooned into two more caramels, then two LARGE cookies (one peanut butter, and the other chocolate truffle--- both about 6" in diameter), then six more caramels. All of this was worked into a full day of walking around, shopping, sitting in the sun, and reading. Once we got home we rested for a bit before heading back out to run an errand. While we were out, I saw many people milling about a local ice cream shop. I thought about how easy it would be to suggest to my daughter that we get ice cream, without directly suggesting it. I said, "and there are all those people, enjoying their evening at the ice cream shop." That's all it took! On the way home, we got ice cream! Only, she ordered a single scoop in a cone, and I got a sundae with caramel syrup and whipped cream and pecans!

In my meet and greet post I noted that I still have a little sugar, and some dairy in the form of full fat Greek yogurt. I have since given those up, but feel that in the meantime I am consuming muuuuch more fat in the form of nuts and coconut butter to make up for it. I stopped tracking my food, just to see if I can train my body to signal hunger better (or train myself to listen without keeping a food log). After that massive sugar binge, I gave myself a few days to eat as much fat as I wanted in addition to all the other 'primal' foods. I feel that I am over it now, and can cut back a bit.

I am rambling a bit b/c it is early, but will post more later today.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Be strong, VickiLynn. When I first started eating paleo/primal I ditched the sugar first and then the dairy. The hardest part for me was my morning coffee. Now I drink my coffee black and let in only a bit of dairy in the form of cheese.

B2B
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172