Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You can use fat for high intensity exercise? page 2

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    thanks for the post, but i think that is aimed more at endurance athletes more than weightlifters and sprinters

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend checking out some videos from Dr.Greg Ellis. He can help you understand how to use fat for fuel in your muscles.
    Fuel for Muscle Contrations gone over by Dr. Gregory Ellis - YouTube

Yea i have watched greg ellis's videos thats why i posted this. I was wondering if i am adapted enough to fuel high intensity excercise with fat if i have been paleo for 3 months.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Lukey, I haven't been VLC for over a year now, but I did it for about 4 straight months during spring 2011. During that time I worked out very intensely, doing heavy compound lifts to failure. My strength improved over the entire period, which I suppose means I gained muscle as well, though it wasn't super noticeable.

I've never been entirely sold on the VLC thing, which is why I eventually moved back into eating carbs, but I will say I performed perfectly fine on it during intense activity (the type of stuff generally referred to as glycolytic).

Oh, and for what it's worth, currently I eat about 150-200g of carbs a day, and feel/perform just as well, with the added benefit that I have more food options.

thanks thats what i wanted to hear, I might start training fasted now and stop worrying about have a pre-workout meal with carbs etc. thanks for the reply

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    you should find that find that the fat will help you sustain the exercise for a long period of time. i suggest find which fat works best for you. Raw dairy fat is mine, so i consume a lot of raw milk, sour milk, homemade cheese, butter, ect. pastured eggs are nice as well, and don't forget your meat!

PriFrance is offline Member
    Agree with BennettC I have done a 12 day trek on a VLC diet just mostly butter eggs meat and a potato now or then
    "The mountains are calling me, I must go"

"don't let school get in the way of your education"

Shameless Everest/Himalaya hiking company plug http://goodkarmatrek.com/

I would prefer to train fasted so i am using my stored body fat as fuel, then have a big meal after. I figure it's a good way to stay lean and bulk up at the same time. Is anyone currently doing this or has done?

Toshison is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    I would prefer to train fasted so i am using my stored body fat as fuel, then have a big meal after. I figure it's a good way to stay lean and bulk up at the same time. Is anyone currently doing this or has done?
    I tried Martin Berkham's Leangains Intermittent fasting (leangains.com) approach for a few months and so I would train after a 16 hour fast with only a pre-workout BCAA drink. All i really needed to do was skip breakfast to create the 16hr fast and train at noon. After training I would eat a gigantic meal which always felt good and probably a snack and dinner. This approach does work but I did notice my strength and more so muscular endurance levels start to taper off after a little while which I didn't take as a good sign.. I could handle similar weights but the rep count dropped noticably and I found it harder to maintain good intensity in the gym.

I decided to experiment with reintroducing breakfast and eating 3 times a day, with my biggest meal being post workout.. Still low carb throughout the day and I still train on an empty stomach as I dont eat anything within 5 hours prior to training. Nothing magical about that timing, my day just works out that way and I find it works just fine. I do still have a BCAA drink prior to training and I have great energy in training. My biggest portion of carbs is right after working out. Its really the only time of the day I'll eat a banana, dates or any generally high sugar fruit.

Having said all that, if I do binge on carbs, I have epicly incredible workouts the next day.

The way I roughly gauge my diet is by examining my strength and performance in the gym. If I start feeling weaker and weaker, I know I need to make some adjustments somewhere. And I generally know I am in ketosis because I have that gross taste in my mouth and my friggin breath stinks all the time. Got to chew gum like mad and I hate chewing gum.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I train 24 hour fasted 1x/week with HIT resistance exercise. I also do some fasted sprints 1-2x/week. Works great. In fact last time I ate prior to my lifts I actually felt a bit more drained.

I'm also in the 50-100g carb range most days. I think I'm going to go lower soon as I felt really great for the few months that I was even lower. I naturally kinda cycle though with one sushi night a week .

Here is the effects of a keto diet on exercise for at least one man The interplay of exercise and ketosis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast