Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (PrimalEagle) - Terrified Newbie - HELP! page 2

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    hello and do not be terrified! if you want to know terrified check my journal...eating in itself was terrifying! i know nada about HCG except it is prolly not good for people. stay allllllllnaturrrrrallll hahah. make sure you be gettin lotsa good fat to combat craving, especially after kickboxing i bet that is hard! never done it before

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I am sure you will do just great - you are young and athletic and your body WANTS to be muscular. Glad to hear you were regaining strength the past few months. Let us know how you do and what you learn in the process. Welcome aboard!!

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, PrimalEagle. My wife has very low IGF-1 and a thyroid condition. Nothing she has done in the past has worked, so she just thought she'd give this a shot. I'm still not crazy about it.

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member
    OK so I'm starting today. I was going to wait until tomorrow when I'd had a chance to do all my shopping and prepare, and as I was up for another round of Bod Pod measurements tomorrow morning so I would know my TRUE starting spot, but frankly I feel so gross after this last week I just can't wait anymore. My scale says I'm 1.5 lbs up from last week and I wouldn't doubt it, despite the fact I had three days of kickboxing, ran 3-4 miles all five work days and took an 8 mile hike on Saturday to Seven Falls in Tucson.

My nutrition goals are in my first post, and my workout goals remain: kickboxing (2-3 x a week), walking for an hour or more (5-6x a week), and 2s sand volleyball (3-6 games in one day). This week I know I will only be kickboxing 2 days and my vball will be more like 10-12 games as I have a tournament on Saturday and at least one set of games on Sunday.

I haven't eaten yet but I'm trying to wait until I'm sure I'm hungry, then I will hit the grocery store after work to make sure I am all stocked up on the right foods.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone!
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

WEEK ONE (HIGHS AND LOWS)

Ok, so I am officially done with week one. I was really good about counting my calories/carbs/macros during the work week and was successful in losing 7.5 lbs from Monday - Friday. My ratio was less than 50 carbs a day and around 100 g of fat and protien each day. I only ate about 10 strawberries over the course of the week, and had 1-2 squares of 85% dark chocolate every other day or so as well as anywhere from 1-3 oz of cheddar cheese.

I got up on Saturday morning and was up .5 lbs. Then I headed out to my 2s sand vball tourney (8 hours or so of on/off play in AZ heat). I wanted to try it without any kind of carbo-loading so I ate some steak and guac in the morning and then just snacked on trail mix (nuts and dried fruit) and 1 oz of cheese throughout the day, as well as 2 banans (warding off cramps). I knew I would need more carbs than my standard diet and hoped the nuts and bananas would compensate. I got home and ate some more steak and grilled broccoli and then went out with the boy for a skeeball tourney and was hungry at 9:30 pm and ate the filling of a philly cheesesteak. Weight held steady at the slightly higher number.

Yesterday (Sunday) I was STARVING, may be a result of the extra calorie burn form the tourney? Had 2 eggs and 5 slices of bacon for breakfast, took the dogs for a 50 minute hike, IF'd lunch b/c I was out but was STARVING when I got home and ended up snacking on too much trail mix and 2 oz of cheese before finally eating a chicken fajita salad I made (salsa as dressing). Had 2 squares of dark chocolate as well. This morning I was up another pound. The only truly non-primal thing I had was one glass of Coke Zero yesterday.

Happy overall but always bummed when the scale goes up.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Eagle, congrats for making giving the PB the benefit of the doubt. We were all there once, I'm sure you wont regret this.

My two cents: try to stick to very low carb and high fat diet and experiment with High Interval Training routines. There is a lot of evidence suggesting that HIT is more effective than the regular chronic cardio for weight loss and higher BMR and insulin sensitivity. Your prior approach to weight loss was based on counting calories and keeping your body in starvation mode. Many of us have been there and feel your pain.

The PB is a metabolic approach to weight loss, which will induce a seamless energetic deficit through hormones and with none of the side effects of a starvation diet such as exhaustion, loss of lean body mass and chronic hunger.

I would advice not to monitor your weight on a daily basis, but on a weekly basis perhaps. I would rely on body measurements and not on the scale to track your progress.

I'm sure your wedding dress will fit. But be careful with booze, this lifestyle turned me into a light weight. Best of lucks.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    You could also consider Intermitent Fasting. It's very easy to do once the carb cravings and chronic hunger disappear, and the benefits are enormous.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Thanks!! I think I was pretty good with my exercise this past week, with 1 - 1.5 hour walks on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. I only kickboxed on Tuesday, and it was a moderate intensity day with more strength training then cardio. On a general day it reminds me of some of the HIIT Mark recommends (usually quick burts of sprinting, kicking or punching to get the heart rate up intermixed with sit-ups, lunges, squats, burpees, push-ups, crunches, etc.) but for 50 minutes. The only other thing I had was the vball, which I'm just not willing to give up -- I love playing! I have 1-2 tournaments a month and other than that it's 3-6 games a week. I really enjoy it.

I actually ended up doing an IF on Tuesday. My last food were some nuts at 4:00 and then I didn't get home from kickboxing until 8:30 so I skipped dinner and didn't eat until 9:30 am the next day, so about 17.5 hours or so. Other than that I haven't seemed to have been able to -- still a bit too hungry. I am hoping to make them part of my overall routine though.

Today was my "two week" anniversary and I am down 9.5 lbs!! It feels soooooooooo good. I'm walking 5x a week, kickboxing 2 times a week and playing my volleyball one night a week and one weekends. I still have some dark chocolate and cheese each day, but only one diet coke a week (just water other than that) and no true cheats. IFing dinner once a week.

Excited to see what the Bod Pod says -- get my RMR and bodyfat tested tomorrow!

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member
    *copy and pastes entire blog under 'to do'*

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast