Thread: Chicken or turkey sausage casing? page

ryan54 is offline Member

Chicken or turkey sausage casing?

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone know where to buy, or if they sell chicken casings for sausage making, or even turkey? Thanks in advance!

- Ryan

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    For the casing, or so you can make chicken or turkey sausages? I haven't heard of fowl intestines being used for "casing", but I am not sure that is what you are after.

Pollyanna12 is offline Member
    Fowl intestines wouldn't be big enough. Normally, for natural sausage casing, pork interstines are used. I believe there are some cellulose type ones as well, but pork intestines is what God intended sausages to be contained in.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You have to go to a real butcher. Most markets don't have whole animals in the walk-ins in back. You have to find a place that does. Ask around. I mentioned something at Whole Foods once and another customer overheard me and recommended a market in town. It surprised me which market it was, too. I never would have looked there on my own.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

ryan54 is offline Member
    Thanks for the help. And yes, I am looking for the casings to make sausage.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I read your post thinking you wanted to make chicken or turkey sausage, not that you wanted chicken or turkey intestines. I'm not sure their anatomy makes the right kind of thing for sausage casings. You need pig intestines for that. I actually prefer to buy sausage that is not in casings so actually sausage casings aren't really necessary at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    fowl intestines won't be big enough for stuffing, unless you have hours of patience and hands the size of an infant with the dexterity of a pakistani rug-maker.

you can form ground meat into sausage shapes without casings. you may need to add some fat for flavor though.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway