Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Look Great/Feel Amazing Journey of Grokalicious! page 5

Grokalicious is online now Senior Member

As you like it...

I read a great thread last night on fat that was started by Paleobird. What an amazing read that resonated for me. Looking over the past couple months, I see that I am not fat-phobic but that when the weather offered brief reprieves from the heat, I was hungry. Except, when I ate more fat! Thank you, thank you Paleobird.

But, sheesh, what a "duh" moment. I'd add fat but not adjust my protein intake. Wouldn't lose weight (or gain, for that matter, but losing is the goal along with feeling amazing). I am so excited to find the sweet (er, fat) spot and see where it takes me. So, in light of that, my calorie tracking moratorium is off!!

I work in an industry that offers many opportunities to be tempted by naughty food. Tomorrow, for example, I am toting around a rep from a winery with his wines to visit different accounts (some retail, but loads of high end restaurants) and we are lunching at a French restaurant. Eating moar fat allows me to stay strong and say no to whatever goodies might seem somewhat tempting.

Today's macros, etc:

Protein: 19%
    Carbs: 6%
    Fat: 75%

Excited to see how I feel with this newest tweak to my eating habits.

It's going to be a great day!!!!
    Last edited by Grokalicious; 10-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    “You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life”
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Much ado about nothing

A really long day full of work related fire drills. It started well with a great workout at the gym. I really was conscious of maintaining good form today and will likely feel it in my tushy over the next couple of days. Not that DOMS means anything, but so what.

No eggs in the house this morning so I had a tuna burger cooked in coconut oil and a salad of mustard greens with olive oil and balsamic for breakfast, coffee. The fire drills started up fairly early and I simply did not have time to eat until I stumbled in tired at 6:45. I wasn't hungry until the day stopped and made a make-do Thai prawn soup that was neither horrible nor fabulous. Just kinda hit the spot. I have not been enjoying my food lately for some reason, although I've been enjoying my days a lot in spite of their intensity (or possibly because of that).

I ate some raw sprouted almonds last night. Oh, probably about 2-3 ounces. I just can't have nuts in the house because I will eat them all. I don't think they're the right sort of Omegas and I tend to nibble on them mindlessly, so sod them. I am a conscious eater with everything but nuts so, no real loss bidding them adieu.

I am a half a click off this fine day. My charm is nonexistent, my bon mots fall flat. Oh honey, no one can be on 24/7/365 but a girl can dream.

Or as Scarlett O'Hara said, tomorrow IS another day...
    “You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life”
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

The taming of the shrew

Almost 4 am and I've been wide awake since 2:15. There will be no taming of this shrew today, unless you have sleeping aids and slip them in my food/drink. But, yes, a shrew I shall be with little sleep and feelings of being terribly keyed up.

The heat, the heat, the heat. Unrelenting. Mid October and 90+ degrees with today due to be the hottest of the week. I normally am unable to eat when it's hot but managed to eat yesterday although I didn't really enjoy it one bit. We shall see how I do today. Am set for a business lunch at a French Bistro and will likely have either tuna or beef carpaccio (previewed the menu online). A forced march today. Several sales calls with this winery rep today all over. He has six wines for buyers to taste from a prestigious Napa winery so people are eager to taste...it's just going to be another long a** day. Am just feeling so done with the industry and really need to recharge my batteries, my joie de vivre. Maybe I really should look into becoming a Pilates instructor. My Mom doesn't fancy the idea. But, guess what? It's my life and not hers.

Am hoping to get home at a semi decent hour and go to the gym or walk. Something. Anything.

As for now? I am going to lie down once more and see if a wee nap overtakes me. Crap, I sound disjointed here today, but too knackered to properly edit.
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Diogenes is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokalicious View Post
    my bon mots fall flat.
    Oh, I hate that!

The Comedy of Errors, or as I like to call it: yesterday

I had a great day yesterday. I had a horrible day yesterday. I had both. It was long with lots of stops (lots of wine sales though). Returned home at 9:00 pm from a busy and insane day. Collapsed and passed out at 10:00.

The gent with whom I worked was fun and funny and we laughed a lot. Appointments canceled last minute, I had to scramble to find more appointments (success!). We lunched at a restaurant nestled into one of the canyons while waiting for the Buyer to show and had wild salmon with asparagus and a yummy butter sauce. Drove all over and got stood up at a high end restaurant out at the beach. High tailed it to an account that's a huge fan of the wines we had and I ate the meat out of some Korean tacos that my new friend ordered.

Lots of traffic, lots of wine cases sold (25+ of expensive wine), lots of fun, lots of schmoozing and dumb assed jokes on my part. No workout but will hit it tonight with a long walk and tomorrow will smack some weights around.
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Lies, lies, lies!

The scale does not speak the truth. It told me that I've gained weight. 2 lbs! Sure, sure, some of it's sodium or the usual temporary suspects, but that number has not gone down in a week's time.

Upset? No, although I have to confess that I was at first. Old habits die hard, don't they? But, all I've been hearing for two days is "wow, you lost so much weight." Then the inevitable question as to how I did it. Of course, when I gave the Reader's Digest version of how I eat, live, and move, I was met with looks of disbelief or was told that they couldn't give up their <insert nasty processed food here>. So far a net weight loss of 5 lbs.

Pants are loose. All of them. Energy is up. Insomnia is slowly fading away. I can't imagine eating or moving any other way.
    Last edited by Grokalicious; 10-19-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typoooooooooo
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

As You Like It

I love Saturday mornings. They seem to love me. Am curled up on the couch with a cuppa Joe listening to music on my iPad and feeling good. If only every day felt like Saturday morns.

Had a great workout yesterday! Squatted with perfect form and no twinges, incline bench madness, pull ups (assisted, but less weight assisting), 10 body weight dips (yowza! I rule!), planks, planks, planks and a few full push-ups just to see if I could do them having graduated from girly push-ups quite recently.

Cool day with cloud cover so I'm thinking "hike!" My friend has been flaking in the hike department and I notice Facebook tags of her out and about at various places eating and drinking (the latter, mostly). Her focus is veering off of fitness. No worries, will leave in a bit on my own.

Restless. That sums me up of late and likely is behind my recent (but now finished) bouts of insomnia. I get this way right before something changes in my life. So ready for huge and positive changes in every aspect of my life. This week ahead will start the ball rolling...I just feel it almost viscerally.

Yay! Change is good.
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Too much is never enough

Too much fun, that is. The weather Gods did not smile fondly on me today. As soon as I suited up for what was bound to be a brilliant hike, the heavens opened up. Suburban drizzle. Hightailed it to the gym and traipsed along on the stairmill for 30 minutes. Kept my heart rate in the right range!

I have primal chili cooking and it smells amazing. Grassfed beef, couple of diced carrots, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, ground dark cocoa (unsweetened), toms. I'll have a salad with it and, voila. Had a seared Ahi burger for lunch with salad (I think there's a theme here).

Wishing I could take a nap and may try. A lazy Saturday.
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Whisper sweet nothings to me...

The sane and logical part of me realises that a 4 lb (!!!) gain on the scale has little or nothing to do with gaining fat on my body especially given how I eat and move. However, the somewhat neurotic Sherlock Holmes that resides deep, deep inside of me has a terrible need to find the clues that would lead to uttering, "Elementary, my dear Watson, it's clearly <fill in the blank with hidden reason why 4 lbs irreverently showed up on Grokalicious' teeny frame.">.

Such is not the case. The scale is absolutely not whispering sweet nothings to me, and is, in fact, growling at me to stay the eff off. And, so, I shall. My clothes are loose, I feel amazing, what else is there? So, off I shall stay until the New Year. I am not letting a scale dictate how I feel.

I had a bite this week with an old lifelong friend who has a hard time with how she looks. She's skinny fat but loathes herself and will do anything and everything in her power to put others down in some feeble attempt at shoring up her own ego and self esteem. And, complains over and over and over, ad nauseam, that she's fat. She gleefully informed me that when I get to be her age that I too will be overweight and out of shape regardless of how I eat and work out. Really, it just made me sad for her. She obsessively weighs herself, compares herself and complains. If I hadn't known her since I was 7 years old, I'd bid her a permanent adieu as her wallowing and complaining just wear thin (ha!) after a while. I see her about 3 times a year for old time's sake and do care about her, so that is that.

Off to the gym. Lifting, planking, and sprinting later. Sundays rule!
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Love's Labour's Lost...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, hopefully not like in the play. Can't see myself swearing off of love for three years (ah, but it didn't work in the play either!). I have feelings for someone. Someone that I used to despise in my youth and then gave nary a thought to in years and years and years. Thought he was stuck up and unattractive and horribly full of himself and told our mutual friend to not bring him around me ever. He spent time at my parent's house through the mutual friend. Hadn't seen him since my mid-twenties. Ok. Flash forward to a year and a half, or so, ago. I had to see the mutual friend and ran into Prince Not-So Charming. Let's just say he grew into himself and life became reverse-world in which everything I hated about him switched to intense attraction. We've spent time together over the past year and a half casually both with the mutual friend and alone (under the pretext of him helping me with something). I may just see him today. It's an odd thing to be so attracted to someone I've known since I was a kid. And to know that, for right now anyway, it isn't to be. But!!! At least I am in better shape since I saw him last 3 months ago. And, a girl can flirt, can't she?

Ok, 'nuff said there. I had another brilliant workout yesterday. Squats, incline bench, pull ups, dips, planks, and a few hours later, sprints. Struggled with getting my heart rate up high enough and wondering if I should be eating more carbs. Am definitely on the low, low end of things at around 30-40 grams but feel great though. Ok, ok, maybe I just need to stop over thinking all of this which is most definitely my M.O. in life. Analyze everything to death. Hahahaaha! And, now I am even analyzing my tendency to over analyze, so I shall sign off for now.

Hilarious.
    Last edited by Grokalicious; 02-10-2013 at 11:50 PM.
    ― Salvador Dalí

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast