Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Look Great/Feel Amazing Journey of Grokalicious! page 3

Grokalicious is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ok. I haven't been here but I have stayed primal. Just too much going on. Between the job and mystery car ailments, I've been a bit um...stressed.

My challenge is still eating enough food. I eat the right foods, though. Well, with one exception and I actually fell ill from it. A work luncheon with a winery owner in a nice restaurant. I did not succumb to bread but thought I could handle a very small amount of pappardelle pasta. Delicious and, as said, a small portion. But, I had such bad tummy pains from it. Live and learn. I really seem to be sensitive to gluten.

Thrilled that I am adding time to my planks. Need to get in more walks which will be my goal for this week. Lifitng heavy things seems to be going well. I am down a total of 7 lbs but look even smaller and tighter than that, if that makes sense. My skinny black dress pants are looser and looser. Need to keep at it!!!

Tomorrow is the Autumnal Equinox, a day good as any to start really focusing on my goals. All of them!! Mood is up, life is good in spite of the challenges. Yay me!!!!
    Last edited by Grokalicious; 02-10-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: The Typo Queen strikes again!!!!
    One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Steelhead salmon is pretty frikkin delicious. I ate a LOT today! Yay!!! And, rested. No workout, no walk. Allowed myself to just work a bit with fun projects (calligraphying envelopes) and rest. Ahhhhh. Back to the gym and maybe a nice hike tomorrow.

Food:
    Breakfast: coffee, scrambled eggs with green chiles, salad of bitter/spicy greens with scallions and avocado and evoo and the most delish balsamic ever

Lunch: broiled Steelhead salmon (4 oz), same salad and some raspberries for dessert

Snack: the skin from the salmon. Yummmmmmy

Dinner: 4 more oz of broiled Steelhead, salad (too lazy to go to store for other veggies), raspberries

For me, that is a lot! But, I ate it all and even though it was hot today, I had a huge appetite for me.

Hoping to eat well again tomorrow!
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Hot as could be here. 113 boiling degrees (but, it's a dry heat...haha). Can't wait til it cools off so I can eat more. The heat messes up my appetite.

Still in it, still eating primally, working out. Happy, albeit tired from tooling around in the sweltering afternoon. Lots of fun on the horizon. So glad I am doing this.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Rededicating myself to be the most awesome, healthy, glowing woman that I can be by December 31. Complacency inevitably becomes a slippery slope, especially when it comes to eating and moving primally. How the heck did rice sneak back in?? Not much, but still. When did I start putting off walks or hikes? And then simply not doing them? Done, done, and done. And pumped UP for doing it to it. No more half assing things. Although, somehow, even half assing it all, I have still lost weight as well as inches.

Hiked yesterday and lifted really heavy things today with a new dedication. Ate well and enjoyed every bite. Loving the fat I've added in. Still working on adding food in but at least today was 86 and not 113 like it was last Monday.

Big big changes ahead. A whole life overhaul. Home, love life, career. I don't mess around. Just get it all done at once.

Oh, and I want to keep track of macros, so here goes:
    1127 calories
    Protein: 27%
    Fat: 62%
    Carbs: 11% (less than 50)

No clue if I am in line, or not, with percentages but, really, I feel amazing, so who bloody cares!!!
    Last edited by Grokalicious; 10-07-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Adding nutritional macros.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

What a gorgeous day! And, a full 30 degrees cooler than last Monday. Wild. I trudged around a little dazed today on the heels of last night's insomnia. I am still recovering from burnout from my last job as well as being finally over the death of my Father three years ago so, I deal with insomnia from time to time. Luckily, I am not an emotional eater and am actually quite the opposite. Can't eat when stressed, excited, upset.

No workout today. I needed a complete day off from it but am looking forward to hitting some weights hard tomorrow. Had a phone interview with a Recruiter that went well. He emailed me an authorization to sign to allow them to contact my references so it sounds like I am moving forward. Not a moment too soon!!!

Ate well today. The usual suspects but had a delicious wild salmon burger for part of my dinner tonight. More carbs (all primal) than usual. I feel no different than when I have less, so will stick with less as a rule. Nothing off plan but a bit of a headache.

Protein: 23%
    Carb: 18%
    Fat: 60%
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Insomnia has reared its very ugly head. Again. I fell asleep at 10 and am now up at a little past 3 am. Two weeks of this on and off is wearing thin a bit. I have so much energy in the daytime regardless but seem to have fitful sleep full of odd dreamscapes featuring themes of all of the major changes coming full-steam ahead. Am like a runaway train barreling to my future, which is great, really. I like change and embrace it and would have a difficult go of it if I lived the movie Groundhog Day.

But having a little more solid sleep patterns would put an even bigger smile on my face.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

The skinny on today is that it rocked. Slept like key-rap last night but awakened smiling and good to go. No hunger this morn but an awesome work out of lifting heavy things with pride and panache. Hit some personal bests and left the gym all aglow!

Arrived home, stepped on the scale and gloated that I'd lost another 1/2 lb. Popped in the shower and sat crosslegged on the cool, cool tiles and noticed my tummy is now flat. Spent a good hour mentally readying myself while I primped a bit for work and then off I leaped, headfirst into another day.

A little shaky at noon as I had an adrenal support pill along with (!!!!!!!) a double espresso. I stood in an account jabbering in French to one of the owners, trying to keep a lid on the caffeine-induced anxiety that was spreading through my body and simply had to leave, muttering my apologies for bolting as I fled out the door. Bippity-bap, Bippity-bap. I could hear and feel my heart just pounding in my chest. Within a half hour the shaky feeling subsided completely leaving behind a quiet sort of resolve to simply not ever do that to myself again.

Struggled a little to stay positive about my job. The pretension, the incompetency, the charade. They don't know it but as soon as the recruiter finds me the right position, I will be gone-baby-gone. The recruiter wrote me a nice email today that he had received my list of references and that he was looking forward to working with me. Thankfully, he gets paid by the companies that hire him to find just the right people. Am so lucky that my extensive list of references (each from different angles of my industry) all think I am amazing at what I do. I shall be out of this joke of a job soon, soon, and soon.

Dinner with a good friend tonight. I had something called "spicy tuna meatball salad" which is spicy raw tuna with organic lettuce and toms. Usually comes on rice but I asked for it to be left off. I did have one glass of Champagne, as did my friend, to toast all of the kooky changes that lie ahead for us both. Lots of laughter and giggles and feeling like oh-man, it is so amazingly awesome to be alive and having fun with the world at my feet!!!!
    Last edited by Grokalicious; 10-10-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Typo
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

I was cursed again. Fell asleep easily at 10:00 pm only to have my eyes fly open, and stay as such, at 3:00 am. Nifty. Something tells me I am furthering this cycle with espresso mid day along with a complete inability to clear my mind at night. I even tried a relaxation/sleep hypnosis video on YouTube but the narrator had one of those treacly voices that was more irksome than soothing.

Anyway, that is ok in spite of a long day ahead. Tomorrow too as well as Friday. I shall pull a warm and relaxing bath this evening as well as observe a moratorium on electronics (no iPad, Words with Friends, et al). And, hope for the best. It's all I can do.

So, I guess I should review my progress with being primal (oh, such a goal oriented woman, eh?). I started eating and working out primally somewhere around August 14 at 141 lbs and a bit of a belly. Now, one week shy of two months I find myself at 134 lbs with no belly. And a newly-found adroitness at pull-ups and push-ups. And insomnia. Ha. Nah, no biggie. I am hoping to hit my goal for unassisted dips/pull-ups and my weight goal of 124-ish by December 31. Ok, and a new goal (little engine that could: I think I can, I think I can...I know I can) of finding a way to solve my insomnia.

Just think, by then I will have plunged head first into a new chapter of my life! Love reinvention. It just always feels so right. So me...
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever tried melatonin as a sleep aid? I work nights and take it daily. Seems to help me a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Have you ever tried melatonin as a sleep aid? I work nights and take it daily. Seems to help me a good bit.
    Yes, and it knocks me out! But, then I have a melatonin hangover the next day and am worthless. I may try some Valerian this eve. Stinky but works.

And, in spite of my complete lack of sleep, I had an outstanding day. High energy, great mood, laughing sort of day. I had some eggs for breakfast with toms, chiles, avocado, scallions and a little salad with olive oil/balsamic. Then a snack of jerky and iced Oolong tea (sans sugar, black). Am sitting in an account at the bar, waiting for the wine buyer and it's an upscale pizza joint. I never ate pizza even pre-primally but the tomato sauce just smells so good. If this guy ever arrives I can sell him some wine and stop at Whole Foods on the way home and get some fish and a veggie. Am giving him 15 more minutes and then it's "ciao Bella."

I have a hike planned for Saturday. 7 miles, so it won't be too crazy but it's the first hike in a month (weather did not permit). Am hiking with a close friend who is a little out of shape which just means I walk slowly (the whole idea, anyway). It's fun. We catch up with each others lives and laugh a lot. I'd rather laugh than do anything and if I can make someone else laugh as well, life is perfect!
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast