Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gastroparesis, Carb Malabsorption, and Chris Kresser's take on it page 2

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    Thanks for personal experience, it is helpful to hear about people who have had success with what I'm trying to do.

Besides the fructose malabsorption you sound just like me, unfortunately. I've been suspecting that I have a fructose malabsorption but have not been tested for it. Is the test just a breathe test? I love bananas with almond butter, and frozen blueberries, so it would suck to give them up but I'd do it if I knew it would help. When you say balanced diet, do you mean you are eating more carbs? If so, around how many grams per day and what kinds? You might have low stomach acid, try supplementing with betaine HCL. If you don't get intense stomach pains then you know you are deficient, and it will help digestion if you take it.

I already suffer from low body temp and a lower libido, which is why I'm asking this question since I don't want to try something that might make me feel worse. It definitely is just trial and error because there is no one universal fix. But one thing for sure is that I too cannot do the 4-6 small meals, my stomach empties too slowly to do it and I prefer to do 2-3 bigger meals as well. I've been supplementing wih probiotics for some time now, eat kim chi pretty often, and also take miralax once a day. I am having bowel movements, but I want to eventually see if I can maintain it without the miralax.
    Yeah it's done via breath tests. Bananas and most berries are fine, apart from blackberries whcih should be avoided or very limited. I am on about 100-120g carbs a day i think. I usually have half a cup of uncooked rice, or bunch of root vegetables as my carbs sources. i avoid all fruit for the time being, thinking about only having them during summer. Regarding HCL, what i've started to do is just add apple cider vinegar to my dressings and or sauces. To give me that acidic punch and hopefully help digestion. I think i've noticed when i have a carb heavy day, my libido kicks in within a day or two, so i mite even further increase carbs. Although i am aware that htey are preferred food choice for some bacterias so it's important to note that. I went low carb for a while and hopefully restored some good bacteria. I might just incorporate something like 2 high carb days during the week and the rest moderate with perhaps a day or 2 of low-ish carb just to get a good balance. Balance is what i'm always friggen striving for but hard to hti on the head! Best source of probiotics i've found is naturally home made sauerkraut, if you have constipation issues, good chance it would help. And occasional glass of kefir. I've stopped on kefir because im searching for raw goat milk but no luck and might never find some around my ways.

Joe B is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    You don't necessarily have to give up any of those. Berries and bananas tend to be well tolerated by most with FM and if you make your own almond butter with blanched almonds you'll likely be fine. Blueberries are iffy for me and I can only eat a little bit of banana if it's overripe, but I have particularly finicky guts. Almond skins kill me but blanched almonds are no problem. You just have to learn to adjust for things. Most citrus fruit is okay for most; I have a tendency to overdo it because I love oranges but that's more due to the acid. Look for a list of FODMAP foods to get an idea of what you should be able to eat.

There are some weird things that most don't realize until they get a bit deeper into it. Greens can be an issue but if you skip iceberg lettuce (pretty worthless anyhow) and remove the rib you should be fine, as that's where the bulk of the fructose is. Prebiotic foods, like collards, asparagus, leeks and broccoli, are usually tolerable as long as they're cooked. Some cut out garlic and onions but I never did and don't have a problem, although raw or undercooked onions in large quantities will mess me up.
    Thanks for the info, good to know I don't have to give them up. I've been following the FODMAPs for a couple months but had to make an exception for avocados because I need a dense source of calories that I can eat besides coconut oil and almond butter. I know all of this is trial and error, but at this point I can't afford to have another bad week, I'm at a pretty low point. I have noticed that as long as veggies are well cooked that I can tolerate them, but I cannot load up on them like I used to do.

Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    Yeah it's done via breath tests. Bananas and most berries are fine, apart from blackberries whcih should be avoided or very limited. I am on about 100-120g carbs a day i think. I usually have half a cup of uncooked rice, or bunch of root vegetables as my carbs sources. i avoid all fruit for the time being, thinking about only having them during summer. Regarding HCL, what i've started to do is just add apple cider vinegar to my dressings and or sauces. To give me that acidic punch and hopefully help digestion. I think i've noticed when i have a carb heavy day, my libido kicks in within a day or two, so i mite even further increase carbs. Although i am aware that htey are preferred food choice for some bacterias so it's important to note that. I went low carb for a while and hopefully restored some good bacteria. I might just incorporate something like 2 high carb days during the week and the rest moderate with perhaps a day or 2 of low-ish carb just to get a good balance. Balance is what i'm always friggen striving for but hard to hti on the head! Best source of probiotics i've found is naturally home made sauerkraut, if you have constipation issues, good chance it would help. And occasional glass of kefir. I've stopped on kefir because im searching for raw goat milk but no luck and might never find some around my ways.
    I may get that test done if I can manage it, might be worth it. Good to hear a second voice saying bananas and blueberries are fine. Rotating fruit consumption is a good idea as well, I've recently been making an effort to switch up my food sources and not eat the same thing everyday, not only just from a micronutrient standpoint but also so I do not develop an intolerance or anything.

Chris Kresser recommends ACV and lemon juice as alternatives to betaine HCL, so I will definitely give that a shot until mine arrives in the mail. I too have noticed increased libido with more carbs, might have to do with body temp regulation and an overall increase in calories. Balance is tough, especially when the middle ground is not well defined. Homemade sauerkraut huh, I'll look into it. As far as goat milk, the Wegmans near me carries goat milk but I'm sure Whole Foods would have it as well. Where do you live?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Chris who?

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Chris Kresser recommends ACV and lemon juice as alternatives to betaine HCL, so I will definitely give that a shot until mine arrives in the mail. I too have noticed increased libido with more carbs, might have to do with body temp regulation and an overall increase in calories. Balance is tough, especially when the middle ground is not well defined. Homemade sauerkraut huh, I'll look into it. As far as goat milk, the Wegmans near me carries goat milk but I'm sure Whole Foods would have it as well. Where do you live?
    I haven't tried ACV, although I should, perhaps starting tomorrow as it's pretty much the only vinegar I use. Goat milk is best raw, as it will have natural probiotics in it which are killed during pasteurization. I buy mine from a farmer who sells it as "pet food," as it's illegal to sell here for human consumption. If you have a farmers market near you look around to see if there's anyone selling milk. Also, if you have access to fresh raw herbs/veg from a source you would trust (organic) to eat with minimal washing they can be a good source of bacteria. Constipation is usually caused by dysbiosis, an imbalance of gut flora. The reason why most carb sources are bad with dysbiosis is that they feed the organisms that are overgrowing, so you need to replenish others so there is more diversity while starving the overpopulated bunch.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the info, good to know I don't have to give them up. I've been following the FODMAPs for a couple months but had to make an exception for avocados because I need a dense source of calories that I can eat besides coconut oil and almond butter. I know all of this is trial and error, but at this point I can't afford to have another bad week, I'm at a pretty low point. I have noticed that as long as veggies are well cooked that I can tolerate them, but I cannot load up on them like I used to do.

I may get that test done if I can manage it, might be worth it. Good to hear a second voice saying bananas and blueberries are fine. Rotating fruit consumption is a good idea as well, I've recently been making an effort to switch up my food sources and not eat the same thing everyday, not only just from a micronutrient standpoint but also so I do not develop an intolerance or anything.

Chris Kresser recommends ACV and lemon juice as alternatives to betaine HCL, so I will definitely give that a shot until mine arrives in the mail. I too have noticed increased libido with more carbs, might have to do with body temp
    regulation and an overall increase in calories. Balance is tough, especially when the middle ground is not well defined. Homemade sauerkraut huh, I'll look into it. As far as goat milk, the Wegmans near me carries goat milk but I'm sure Whole Foods would have it as well. Where do you live?
    Im in australia where it is also illegal to sell i thought i was onto something when i heard of a farmers market selling it but the guy admitted his not selling any more due to hassle compared to milking cows throughout the year. Needless to say i was pissed!

Good point about mixing your diet. I should probably try more variety in my diet because i fear i mite become dlightly intolerant to others too. The funny thing about acv is that apples are a no-no on fructose malabsorption but i gathered the fermented state would be ok. I use and im not as nazi about some of the things i eat like garlic, sauerkraut and avocado all of which are not recommended on fructose mal but i hope im doing more good than harm. I can take a litle bit of bloating and flatulence here and there.

I haven't tried ACV, although I should, perhaps starting tomorrow as it's pretty much the only vinegar I use. Goat milk is best raw, as it will have natural probiotics in it which are killed during pasteurization. I buy mine from a farmer who sells it as "pet food," as it's illegal to sell here for human consumption. If you have a farmers market near you look around to see if there's anyone selling milk. Also, if you have access to fresh raw herbs/veg from a source you would trust (organic) to eat with minimal washing they can be a good source of bacteria. Constipation is usually caused by dysbiosis, an imbalance of gut flora. The reason why most carb sources are bad with dysbiosis is that they feed the organisms that are overgrowing, so you need to replenish others so there is more diversity while starving the overpopulated bunch.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Im in australia where it is also illegal to sell i thought i was onto something when i heard of a farmers market selling it but the guy admitted his not selling any more due to hassle compared to milking cows throughout the year. Needless to say i was pissed!

Good point about mixing your diet. I should probably try more variety in my diet because i fear i mite become dlightly intolerant to others too. The funny thing about acv is that apples are a no-no on fructose malabsorption but i gathered the fermented state would be ok. I use and im not as nazi about some of the things i eat like garlic, sauerkraut and avocado all of which are not recommended on fructose mal but i hope im doing more good than harm. I can take a litle bit of bloating and flatulence here and there.
    If you can't find the milk look for raw cheese, which tends to be easier to find.

Joe B is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Chris who?
    Chris Kresser. Google "Chris Kresser, the healthy skeptic."

Raw milk is always better, I'll see if I can find some at a market near me. I never knew that fresh raw herbs and veggies would be a good source of bacteria, thanks for the tip. I definitely have an imbalane of gut flora and am trying to bring it back to normal, hence me making this thread. I'm hoping that going lower carb and adding in probiotics from kefir, greek yogurt, kim chi, and probiotic pills will help restore my gut.

Ah that's too bad about the raw milk, I've had it once before and the taste is night and day compared to regular milk. That is funny about apples and ACV, it never occured to me before. I agree about the doing more good than harm. I need another good source of fat (and calories) and avocados fit the bill, but I notice that they make me bloated and sometimes gassy; oh well.

What are the main foods you eat and what does a typical day look like for you meal-wise? Ever since I lowered my carbs in an attempt to starve the bad bacteria I've been eating more goat and hard cheeses to make up the difference but I'd like to steer clear of them if possible because they bloat me. Just looking for some other things I can add into the rotation that will not bump up my carbs.
    Last edited by Joe B; 08-21-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12