Thread: Fasting vs. Primal diet for Inflammation page

braves10 is offline Junior Member

Fasting vs. Primal diet for Inflammation

Shop Now
    For problems with inflammation, is fasting the best way to go or do you actually need to eat anti-inflammatory foods to reduce inflammation? I've wondered this for a while.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Well you're going to have to eat eventually, better make it anti-inflammatory (adequate O-3, and so on). Combine the two, fasting and eating primally. You can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Well you're going to have to eat eventually, better make it anti-inflammatory (adequate O-3, and so on). Combine the two, fasting and eating primally. You can't go wrong.

Yes I get that better is it better to reduce inflammation over a short period (or for long term, if you fast regularly) to fast or eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Say for instance, is it the same for inflammation if your diet is more 60-40, than if it was 80-20 with a primal diet. I know it may sound like a weird question but I was just wonderig if anybody had any ideas on this?

Nady is offline Senior Member
    About 20 years ago, I fasted for 10 days in an effort to 'cure' my chronic eczema. It worked. But with re-feeding, I quickly learned that it was grains (especially wheat) that triggered the outbreaks. So, to answer your question, IMO, fasting is a great way to detox/heal your system, but unless you stop eating your trigger foods, you will just be cleaning up the mess with a fast, or basically chasing your tail all the time if you keep eating inflammatory foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    About 20 years ago, I fasted for 10 days in an effort to 'cure' my chronic eczema. It worked. But with re-feeding, I quickly learned that it was grains (especially wheat) that triggered the outbreaks. So, to answer your question, IMO, fasting is a great way to detox/heal your system, but unless you stop eating your trigger foods, you will just be cleaning up the mess with a fast, or basically chasing your tail all the time if you keep eating inflammatory foods.

Great!! Thanks Nady!!

ryan54 is offline Member
    Ditto to what Nady said.

Yeah, Nady, after a discussion with my brother I have been really interested in doing a ten day fast... Besides a piece of my wedding cake, which I will have in 47 days, I am determined to not have any grains/wheat. I am pretty darn fat adapted, I just need to see if I can get this thing done. I think I am going to start on Friday morning. I work Tue-Sat, so the first day is always easy, second day I do tend to feel it (so sat I'd at most I'd get a small headache), and Sunday and Monday would be my day off. From what I understand the faster your metabolism is you go into the rough part of the ten day fast sooner (normally 3-4 is the rough point)? Food doesn't scare me anymore, but I do tend to try to avoid wheat/processed foods as much as possible because my body now sees them as hostile when I eat too much. I have Tourette's Syndrome (motor tics, origin of my name). When I eat right I don't feel it as much and some days not at all. So I am hoping for good results with this fast.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call Me Twitchy View Post
    Yeah, Nady, after a discussion with my brother I have been really interested in doing a ten day fast... Besides a piece of my wedding cake, which I will have in 47 days, I am determined to not have any grains/wheat. I am pretty darn fat adapted, I just need to see if I can get this thing done. I think I am going to start on Friday morning. I work Tue-Sat, so the first day is always easy, second day I do tend to feel it (so sat I'd at most I'd get a small headache), and Sunday and Monday would be my day off. From what I understand the faster your metabolism is you go into the rough part of the ten day fast sooner (normally 3-4 is the rough point)? Food doesn't scare me anymore, but I do tend to try to avoid wheat/processed foods as much as possible because my body now sees them as hostile when I eat too much. I have Tourette's Syndrome (motor tics, origin of my name). When I eat right I don't feel it as much and some days not at all. So I am hoping for good results with this fast.
    Just remember, once you're into the fast, if you haven't picked a date to break, your body will tell you with genuine, natural hunger. Even though you're in heavy ketosis, you will feel hungry. Don't bully this through. It's your body telling you that it's done with the housecleaning and it's time to resume the regular processes.

Good luck~ hope you get the results you seek~ just always remember, be kind to yourself. Fasting is a tool, not a punishment. And if you're already in ketosis when you start the fast, it's much easier

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Just remember, once you're into the fast, if you haven't picked a date to break, your body will tell you with genuine, natural hunger. Even though you're in heavy ketosis, you will feel hungry. Don't bully this through. It's your body telling you that it's done with the housecleaning and it's time to resume the regular processes.

Good luck~ hope you get the results you seek~ just always remember, be kind to yourself. Fasting is a tool, not a punishment. And if you're already in ketosis when you start the fast, it's much easier
    Thank you. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm going to try to go from a Friday the 24th until Sunday the 2nd.