Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a reason my farmers market vendor only sells "lean" stew meat? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Is there really such a thing as "fat free" meat? I'm not being sarcastic, I just didn't know such a thing existed. I thought all meat from mammals had at least a little fat in it.

Matil is offline Junior Member
    So what Im hearing is lean stew beef is the same thing as regular stew beef, is that right?

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matil View Post
    So what Im hearing is lean stew beef is the same thing as regular stew beef, is that right?
    Yup. It's a way to label a tough, lean cut of meat that otherwise wouldn't have much use. In the US, at least!

Matil is offline Junior Member
    Do you think its still a good enough or worthwhile amount of fat or should I go for something better? Im thinking of using a brisket roast or something now.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A brisket would probably make a very nice stew. You could also add some lamb to your stew. I love lamb in stew.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

onalark is offline Senior Member
    If it were me, I'd make it with the stew meat, then make a nice salad with avocado or cheese on the side.

Alternately, crumble in some bacon at the end.

Personally, not a huge fan of fatty fatty stews. Would rather get my fat on a steak or cook some mushrooms in bacon grease.

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    "Stew" beef is always the leaner, cheaper cuts. The idea with a stew (as with a pot roast, also cheap lean cuts) is that you'll cook it at a relatively low temperature for a long time. This will 'break down' the meat (and all tough, gristly connective tissues) making it tender. If you use a Prime Rib roast in stew, buy the time your vegetables are soft, the meat will probably have damn near totally dissolved . It'll be like soggy shredded wheat in texture. So yeah...cheap lean meat is good for stews...just cook it for four hours at a low simmer.

antharr is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All of the grass fed cuts that I get from my farmer are lower in fat than it's grocery store counterpart. The ground beef tends to be more lean as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12