Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you overeat meat? page

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member

Can you overeat meat?

Primal Fuel
    I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I'm a newer member, and wanted to get your take on this.
    Can you eat too much meat?
    I find that meat is the only thing that I can eat that doesn't cause me to want to destroy everything in the fridge.
    Most other foods, especially fruits and nuts, make me want to eat everything in the house, but I can eat a good amount of meat and not be hungry and looking for something else in ten minutes. It does the job for me like nothing else. Doesn't bloat me out or give me gas, or make me wake up the next morming feeling like a waterlogged slug. Just fills me up and makes me feel right, and I start the following day feeling lean and mean, energized, and with great mental clarity.

Thoughts?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you can overeat meat.

Try eating your meat with vegetables. It's pretty hard to overeat combining the two.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yes, you can overeat meat.

Try eating your meat with vegetables. It's pretty hard to overeat combining the two.
    this.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    By "over eat", do you mean in a sitting, or over time? I can't see either one happening, to be honest. Of course, if you stuff yourself to the point that you're sick, yeah... You ate too much. But if you stopped when you were satisfied, then no, not too much.

I guess what I mean is, you can over eat anything. Just stop when you're full.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Meat is the best there is for satiety, I get full before I can stuff myself.

The Tall Tree is offline Member
    If you mean to spike insulin or keep your carbs down, no, you can't - I think only organ meat has carbs (please correct me if I'm wrong). You could dose up on protein to levels that were above your recommended daily intake, but you'd still be better off than if you ate just one piece of bread.
    Like the good people said, eat until you are full. I often eat two or three chicken legs, and a handful of jerky, and a boiled egg or two in one sitting, and it doesn't effect me badly (unless I do a workout an hour or so afterwards, and then have WPI after the workout, in which case I fart like a sick donkey... So yeah, don't do that.)

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Can you eat too much meat?
    Hell yeah. You can get nicely plump and fat on a heavily (or even strictly) carnivore diet, no problem. Gets easier and easier to do as you get closer to your "correct" weight.

Some folks (including me) find it helps as a natural caloric limiter, but that's "helps", not "prevents over eating", the discipline to push back from the table is still required.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    You can overeat meat, but you really can't
    Billie trips balls

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Like stated above, I find that meat does help to limit the amount of calories that I eat overall, and keeps me from getting hungry again in a short span of time.
    Eating too much in one sitting is no fun, but I find that hard to do in comparison to other foods. With meat, it seems that my brain gets the signal telling it that I'm full much sooner than with other foods.
    Sometimes if I eat something with a fair amount of carbs, I want to continue to eat even though I'm full already. That doesn't seem to happen with meat.
    Does that make sense?

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    you can eat too much meat, but only because you can eat too much protein. Excess protein is converted into glucose which is not what you want on a low carb diet. Try to stick under 1g of protein per pound of body weight. ( don't get me wrong, it's not unhealthy to eat excess protein or meat, it's just better to run on fat not glucose )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast