Thread: Starting strength plus page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

Starting strength plus

Shop Now
    Looking for some feedback regarding what to add to starting strength. Sometimes I enjoy throwing a few extra isolation excersizes in if I have time. I am thinking:

Excersise:
    A1 add dumbbell bench press and preacher curls
    B1 add bent over single dumbbell rows and lat pulls owns
    A2 pushups and tricep curls
    B2 dumbbell military press and calf raises

I am trying to figure out what muscle groups excersise A and B mainly focus on and go from there.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you are doing Starting Strength the way it is written, you won't have the need to do any of that (or the strength, really).

What are your goals? Why do you feel that you need to add to the program? What will those exercises give you that you aren't getting from the program as written?

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    If you are doing Starting Strength the way it is written, you won't have the need to do any of that (or the strength, really).

What are your goals? Why do you feel that you need to add to the program? What will those exercises give you that you aren't getting from the program as written?
    Good questions. Basically I wanted to throw in a couple isolated higher rep exercises to build some bigger muscles for the mirror, however; I wanted to make sure to hit most muscle groups throughout the week so I dont become unbalanced. I enjoy going to the gym and, well, have nothing better to do with my time. I figured 2 extra lifts wouldnt kill me.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    If you want to add in some assistance exercises to help with the main lifts then fair enough but it all seems a bit silly to try to balance a pure strength program with these bodybuilding elements - especially on the same days. To me that just suggests that you haven't performed the original program properly.

A way around it might be to just add in a day of more aesthetic focused exercises every now and then - not strictly a great idea either but probably better than this.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Rip sez do curls and whatnot, whatever you want, as long as you do the main lifts first. I'd personally focus on chins and pushups, but lots of guys on the SS board will do curls and skullcrushers for their arms. I don't understand the idea to focus on the mirror muscles but also not become unbalanced - aren't these opposite ideas?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

zilog is offline Senior Member
    IMO if you've got enough left in the tank for these "mirror muscle" exercises then either A) you could have lifted more weight with your SS lifts or B) the "mirror muscle" exercises aren't doing anything for you

Hey all,

ive actually re-looked at the warm up sequence. I dont think I have been lifting as many times as I should have been. On a related note, here is a great spreadsheet that calculates our warm up sets for you Starting Strength Routine Generator Spreadsheet - All Things Gym

jakey is offline Senior Member
    good isolation exercises i refuse to give up (but would never, ever be the core of my workouts):

lying triceps extension
    dumbell flyes

good compound movements i do, not listed as the 5 critical moves in starting strength:

barbell rows
    dips
    pull-ups

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    good isolation exercises i refuse to give up (but would never, ever be the core of my workouts):

lying triceps extension.....
    If your talking skull crushers....I use to absolutely LOVE them. Then my damn elbow started revolting against em. I was getting really heavy though. Had to stop.