Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Soy page

Piscator is offline Senior Member

Soy

Primal Fuel
    Posting this here as a new thread so as not to interrupt the current iodine thread. The soy issue has come up on a couple of posts on that thread between Paleobird and JamesS. JamesS claims to have debunked those who are anti-soy, and if he cares to spend time on this topic, I'm certainly willing to read his take. But first, I'll tell why I don't eat soy. I think my reasons are probably shared by many on this forum.

I claim no science background and haven't spend endless hours pouring over medical studies. I was inspired to give up grains by reading The Primal Bluepring, MDA website and forum, and my own successes with doing so.

Soy is a grain and typical of grains is high in Omega 6 fatty acids, which increases the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio in the body. Within 2 weeks of following the Primal Blueprint, I was able to completely eliminate my need for asthma medications and have been med-free for 2.5 years. I credit eliminating grains (among other diet changes) and occasional supplementing with fish oil to balance my omega ratio.

Here's a short paragraph from wikipedia on Omega-6 fatty acids, which backs my thinking: "Modern Western diets typically have ratios of n−6 to n−3 in excess of 10 to 1, some as high as 30 to 1; the average ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 in the Western diet is 15/1–16.7/1.[6] Humans are thought to have evolved with a diet of a 1-to-1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 and the optimal ratio is thought to be 4 to 1 or lower.[7][6] A ratio of 2–3/1 omega 6 to omega 3 helped reduce inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.[6] A ratio of 5/1 had a beneficial effect on patients with asthma but a 10/1 ratio had a negative effect.[6] A ratio of 2.5/1 reduced rectal cell proliferation in patients with colorectal cancer, whereas a ratio of 4/1 had no effect.[6]"

The other benefit to giving up soy (along with all grains), is that it's an easy means of cutting carbohydrates. Many of us here have also battled weight issues. I'm down 30 pounds from my peak weight just before starting PB. I never ate much soy prior anyway, so it was much easier to eliminate it than it was to give up wheat - yep, I still miss bread and pie.

That's my reasoning JamesS.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Soy is not a grain. It is a legume.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    oh gawd

Ahahahhahahahaha! A perfect start! So, I've given up grains and legumes.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Irregardless of any arguments for or against, the fact of the matter is my body does not tolerate the stuff at all.
    I found out the hard way that eating any type of unfermented soy has the nasty effect of sending me running for the bathroom within 10 minutes of eating... & if im lucky this just involves throwing it up along with everything else in my system (but sometimes my body decides to get rid of it in other ways not funny when you dont realize there was soy in that dip your friend made....)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I would rather eat a big bowl full of gluten than a bowl full of soy. IMO, there is nothing worse in the American diet than soy. Wheat isn't the #1 baddie by a longshot.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    soy as "health food" is yet another big scam/sham foisted upon us by big ag. we grow milllions and millions of tons of the stuff and they need to find other ways of using the byproducts. like soymilk. ugh.

yes, asians have been eating soy for thousands of years, but almost all of it is fermented. i don't touch the stuff.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I would rather eat a big bowl full of gluten than a bowl full of soy. IMO, there is nothing worse in the American diet than soy. Wheat isn't the #1 baddie by a longshot.
    I'm just not a big fan of soy, but wheat is definitely the #1 baddie for me. I still indulge in bread or pizza on occasion and I'm always sorry for it the next day.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I'm just not a big fan of soy, but wheat is definitely the #1 baddie for me. I still indulge in bread or pizza on occasion and I'm always sorry for it the next day.
    Same, but without the indulging (I just turned down some carrot cake that a coworker brought round that I bet would have tasted awesome). Although, we still let the kiddies eat wheat on occasion as a treat.

Here's the WAPF take:
    Confused About Soy?--Soy Dangers Summarized
    •High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking. High phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.
    •Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.
    •Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.
    •Soy phytoestrogens are potent antithyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
    •Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.
    •Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D.
    •Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.
    •Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.
    •Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods.
    •Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I think most of the claims made by WAPF are what JamesS would counter. He's alluded to that in the iodine thread. Reading WAPF was what led to me finding MDA - don't remember if there was a link there, but somehow I found MDA. Anyway, I've followed much of what they promote, but I'm looking forward to reading some rebuttal of that data when and if JamesS weighs in.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast