Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Soy page 9

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoMike View Post
    Have some bacon and some greens instead.
    Oh, that I do!

Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I apologize for my personal ignorance towards that. I hope this didn't stop anyone from taking a look at the extremely useful info on my last post. I also should mention that all soy products from the U.S. are genetically modified and heavily sprayed with pesticides. These toxin are found in 99% of the population.
    I'm actually familiar with that data, but wanted to start this thread so that JamesS could counter it. Thanks for your input. I'm definitely in favor of avoiding GM foods.
    Last edited by Piscator; 08-20-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Double post?? - see below.
    Last edited by Omni; 08-20-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I've never liked the taste of Soy milk, Tofu or other Soy products, but that's my taste, even before I started looking at the health issues.
    On the WAPF conspiracy of collusion with the beef & dairy industry, their entire philosophy is based on wholsome local food sources from farm to consumer and they are opposed to processed foods from large corporations whether they be Soy, Wheat, Beef, Pork or Dairy
    I had a look at their income yesterday, Gross income was around US$1.7M, that compared to the Soy industry stats where the total 2011 crop value exceeded $35.7 billion.
    Soy Stats 2012
    Even if WAPF do have a vested interest in defaming Soy I think the Industry is more than capable of defending itself, it is far easier to fathom a concerted health misinformation campaign from the Soy industry to increase it's sales.
    As I understand it nearly 1/3 of US arable land is under Soy cultivation and as mentioned it is near enough to 100% GM, which by default means maximum herbicide use.
    One has to assume that the bulk of the Soy research done over the last 20 years was funded directly or indirectly by the Soy industry and yet with all the money that was poured into research the best they could get was this in 2005
    Jury Still Out on Soy and Health - Analysis of Nearly 200 Studies Shows Limited Evidence of the Health Benefits of Soy
    Jury Still Out on Soy and Health
    and as for FDA recommendations (2011):
    The FDA has approved a health claim for soy protein that states, “25 grams of soy protein, along with a diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may help reduce the risk of heart disease.” That is may not will reduce heart disease risk, not really much of an endorsement.
    Is there an FDA recommendation for daily isoflavone intake?
    So to get anything from the FDA at all they had to tag it in with the discredited (Ansel Keys) "Lipid Hypothesis" which the FDA has been pushing so long in the face of contrary evidence, they can't see any way to admit they were wrong for the last 40 years.
    As for the health benefits, as I've said before if the active components in Soy are so concentrated/powerful such that they can change the Hormonal status in the human body, because that is what the health claims are, then Soy should be treated as a medication and not a food and applied appropriately to specific cases not freely administered as infant formula, in school lunches etc. with the aim of 100% population coverage.
    Everything I have read regarding the action of Phytoestrogens is that they are an approximation of estrogen and in some body tissues act as an agonist & others as an antagonist, so we don't even know exactly what actions they are creating within the body.
    Soy has been consumed in Asia for a long time, with seemingly minimal health issues, but speaking of Japan as most of the Soy studies seem to centre on the Japanese connection because their life expectancy is better than the US. From what I've read the last few days, their rates of stomach, pancreatic & other cancers are far higher than the US, can this also be attributed to their Soy intake and is it possible that their intake of seafood giving them both higher Omega 3 & Iodine intakes is in some way protective counteracting some of the potential negative impacts of Soy, or is all this irrelevant and it is their lifestyle & culture which gives them greater longevity.
    Last edited by Omni; 08-20-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Soy has been consumed in Asia for a long time, with seemingly minimal health issues, but speaking of Japan as most of the Soy studies seem to centre on the Japanese connection because their life expectancy is better than the US. From what I've read the last few days, their rates of stomach, pancreatic & other cancers are far higher than the US, can this also be attributed to their Soy intake and is it possible that their intake of seafood giving them both higher Omega 3 & Iodine intakes is in some way protective counteracting some of the potential negative impacts of Soy, or is all this irrelevant and it is their lifestyle & culture which gives them greater longevity.
    This is a question that no-one can answer. Certainly not modern science. It's 50-100 years away from being able to do so. Please be aware that anyone who tries to answer this, whatever their background, is taking a massive stab in the dark.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Wow that is majorly disturbing that 1/3 of US arable land is cultivated in soy. The utter holocaust of 1/3 of our arable land being completely devoid of any life other than genetically modified soy covered in chemicals is enough to turn me off entirely no matter what weak health reassurances anyone can provide. I can't see how any vegetarian could sit around smugly feeling that they are being so environmentally friendly while participating in such massive destruction. I don't see how anyone with a conscience could defend soy on the basis of liking it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow that is majorly disturbing that 1/3 of US arable land is cultivated in soy. The utter holocaust of 1/3 of our arable land being completely devoid of any life other than genetically modified soy covered in chemicals is enough to turn me off entirely no matter what weak health reassurances anyone can provide. I can't see how any vegetarian could sit around smugly feeling that they are being so environmentally friendly while participating in such massive destruction. I don't see how anyone with a conscience could defend soy on the basis of liking it.
    If it's any consolation the soy crops are probably wondering what the f@!k is going on too.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    On the WAPF conspiracy of collusion with the beef & dairy industry, their entire philosophy is based on wholsome local food sources from farm to consumer and they are opposed to processed foods from large corporations whether they be Soy, Wheat, Beef, Pork or Dairy
    I had a look at their income yesterday, Gross income was around US$1.7M, that compared to the Soy industry stats where the total 2011 crop value exceeded $35.7 billion.
    Soy Stats 2012
    Even if WAPF do have a vested interest in defaming Soy I think the Industry is more than capable of defending itself, it is far easier to fathom a concerted health misinformation campaign from the Soy industry to increase it's sales.
    As I understand it nearly 1/3 of US arable land is under Soy cultivation and as mentioned it is near enough to 100% GM, which by default means maximum herbicide use.
    One has to assume that the bulk of the Soy research done over the last 20 years was funded directly or indirectly by the Soy industry and yet with all the money that was poured into research the best they could get was this in 2005
    Jury Still Out on Soy and Health

Everything I have read regarding the action of Phytoestrogens is that they are an approximation of estrogen and in some body tissues act as an agonist & others as an antagonist, so we don't even know exactly what actions they are creating within the body.
    Very true. The WAPF may not always be right about everything but they are not anybody's paid shills. That's just silly. I wouldn't put it past the soy industry,however, to pay people to go around posting misinformation on the internet. Hmmm. I wonder why a certain poster was SO adamant that we debate the topic of soy and followed me around several threads trying to "call me out" on the subject even though it was totally irrelevant to the topics at hand and then insisted that this thread be created. It seemed like he was just itching for an excuse to whip out his list o' links. Hmmm?

Also, as long as the jury is still out and "we don't know" about soy, I'm not taking a chance on something that offers me nothing but tasteless squidginess in return.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-21-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The WAPF may not always be right about everything but they are not anybody's paid shills. That's just silly. I wouldn't put it past the soy industry,however, to pay people to go around posting misinformation on the internet.
    And we have to include the FDA/USDA (with their massive funding) as part of the soy industry promotion.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Soy sauce is still pretty friggin' delicious...as an accent to meat. :3

Pretty much everything I was going to say has been said. I don't agree with WAPF 100% and I think they're kind of crazy on some subjects, and I agree they seem to have some sort of epic-level hard-on against soy, but I also don't believe they're being funded by anti-soy lobbyists. If they are, they are spectacularly unsuccessful. If there is an anti-soy lobby, they'd be better off funneling money into places like McDonald's, not an eccentric organization like WAPF. And why the beef and dairy industry would hate on soy when it's primarily used to feed their livestock is beyond me. Sounds like conspiracy-theorist propaganda.

In my own n=1 experiment, I feel ditching soy has improved my thyroid and overall health. I ate a LOT of soy when I was a vegan. I also, coincidentally, wound up with elevated cholesterol and had to have my thyroid dose upped. I don't know for certain if these two are related, and it's totally anecdotal, but I'm not exactly missing the stuff anymore.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast