Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Soy page 8

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I feel somewhat offended by this because I hate how people on Primal continue to bash soy because it tastes bad to them. You may think that real, fresh soy milk may taste gritty and watery, but I think it tastes delicious. I honestly grew up drinking it, and not as much cow's milk, so I am accustomed to the taste. I think cow's milk tastes weird. Stop hating!

Although those faux products Americans create out of soy are disgusting, I do agree.
    I said I didn't like soy milk. You said you didn't like cow milk. But my statement is "hating" and yours isn't? Chill. No need to be offended. Just opinions all around.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    I think maybe she was kidding. I'd call soy milk a faux product too.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Other than edamame, I don't see how any soy products qualify as whole real foods, what Primal is supposed to be about. Even Mark says he eats some edamame occasionally and now and then has some fermented soy products such as tempeh. I think each person has to make their own judgement call about this. I don't feel anything lacking in a soy free diet personally.

So, for me, the question really isn't ,"Why not eat soy", it's "Why?" It doesn't give me anything nutritionally that I can't find in a better tasting form, IMO, from animal sources. Why take the risk that it may be carcinogenic for a tofu dog?
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Other than edamame, I don't see how any soy products qualify as whole real foods, what Primal is supposed to be about. Even Mark says he eats some edamame occasionally and now and then has some fermented soy products such as tempeh. I think each person has to make their own judgement call about this. I don't feel anything lacking in a soy free diet personally.

So, for me, the question really isn't ,"Why not eat soy", it's "Why?" It doesn't give me anything nutritionally that I can't find in a better tasting form, IMO, from animal sources. Why take the risk that it may be carcinogenic for a tofu dog?
    Well said!!!

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Strike one for soy: It's not Primal.

Anecdotal, I know, but I ate a lot of soy growing up with 70's health freak parents and continued to do so until I got breast cancer at 45. Now I choose to err on the side of caution for my own personal safety.
    Reminds me of the experience my sister and brother-in-law had on the "Farm" a commune in Tennessee during the late 60s and 70s. They embraced vegetarianism and grew their own soy. They ate plenty of seasonal vegetables but their primary source of protein was Soy. They were always sick, tired and run down. Their son developed cancer and died, they moved off the Farm started eating meat and have recently embraced a Paleo style diet and are a vibrant healthy family. They swear that soy was the cause of their constant battle with illness and possibly their son's death. Very anecdotal but it makes you think.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    So is coconut milk, then, while we're at it...

I'm not calling you specifically out on hating. I'm sorry if it felt that way. But I just feel somewhat offended by everyone on Primal who hates on it because I bet you many of the people used to like tofu, and now shun it because it's not Primal.

Freshly made soy milk is so much more superior to Silk, imo. It's like disliking eggs when you've never had a pastured egg. Or limp baby carrots that can be purchased in a package, versus a sweet, organic carrot.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    I have addressed the bogus claims repeated by the Weston Price Foundation (WAPF) a number of times. What people need to realize is that they are funded by the beef and dairy industries and act as spokespeople for WAPF. This is like relying on pharmaceutical drug reps to get valid safety information on drugs sold by the pharmaceutical companies.

Here are some of the rebuttals I have written in the past: <long list of links to forum thread rants, not sources>
    I really think that leading a pro-soy charge by bashing on the WAPF is weaksauce. This is from their webpage where they display their income and expenses openly for the world to see going back several years. http://www.westonaprice.org/about-th...n/wapf-funding

"The main sources of support for the Weston A. Price Foundation are the dues and contributions of its members. The Foundation receives no funding from any government agency or food processing corporation. Although many of our members are farmers, the Foundation has no ties with the meat or dairy industry, nor with any organization promoting these industries. The Foundation promotes the production of food by independent farmers and artisans, and not by industry.

I don't agree with everything the WAPF says, e.g. I don't do sprouted grains, but I think attacking their integrity is un-called for.

GeoMike is offline Junior Member
    Piscator, back to one of your original questions that was not answered during the many, and very meandering (to say the least), diatribes that have taken place on this thread: apart from the vast quantities of phytoestrogens, there is no nutrient you get from soy that you can't get from some other food or combination of foods in greater quantities. If avoiding grains and legumes has helped you to lose weight and feel healthier, then there is no reason to start consuming soy. Have some bacon and some greens instead.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    If you'd care to read the posts, an invitation to discuss aspects beyond carbohydrates was extended in the initial posting and those aspects have been debated for 7 pages now. Seems you're ignorant of that fact.
    I apologize for my personal ignorance towards that. I hope this didn't stop anyone from taking a look at the extremely useful info on my last post. I also should mention that all soy products from the U.S. are genetically modified and heavily sprayed with pesticides. These toxin are found in 99% of the population.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    So is coconut milk, then, while we're at it...

I'm not calling you specifically out on hating. I'm sorry if it felt that way. But I just feel somewhat offended by everyone on Primal who hates on it because I bet you many of the people used to like tofu, and now shun it because it's not Primal.

Freshly made soy milk is so much more superior to Silk, imo. It's like disliking eggs when you've never had a pastured egg. Or limp baby carrots that can be purchased in a package, versus a sweet, organic carrot.
    I just don't know why you'd take offense to someone's opinion of a food. And you're right about coconut milk being "faux" - the difference is that coconut milk kind of meets the PB nutrition standards - even though it's processed. Tofu is okay, but I see it more as a carrier of the flavors of other foods it's cooked with. Seems kind of bland otherwise. I don't think I've ever tasted soy-milk, but wouldn't bother as I enjoy dairy and it doesn't seem to give me any problems. Real, raw milk is fantastic, in my opinion of course...

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast