Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Soy page 15

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    While I like the WAPF site (particularly the stuff by chriss masterjohn), I do wish they would take down their section on Homeopathy. It hurts their credibility in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    What? Seriously? Uggggggh.
    Yeah, that's one of the things I don't like about them either but that doesn't make them the paid lackeys of the beef and dairy industries. It just makes them look a bit silly, IMO. Some of their followers are really into that stuff though and there are quite a few people around here who are too. To each their own.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Oh nooooooos! Meat contains precursors! And glucose and fatty acids! And phospholipids! Scary! Lions and Tigers and Bears..... Oh my!
    Its these kind of stupid, childish responses that really bring threads down quickly. If you don't have anything significant to provide why don't you just stay out of it.

The primary point being made was that many meats are pro-inflammatory, which still holds true. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    All of what you said may be true (or not), but my point still stands that beef fat is not very high in omega-6 fatty acids. It is incredibly low in those.
    And again, people are not making meals out of beef fat. We are talking about beef. And furthermore, what is a significant amount? In other words, exactly how much omega 6 fatty acids does it take to promote inflammation? The reason I bring this up is because many things have major effects on the body in trace amounts such as hormones. And meats like beef have been linked to diseases such as heart disease. Therefore, what constitutes a significant amount will depend on the amount required to have an inflammatory effect on the body. So what is that amount?

Also keep in mind that there are still other precursors for inflammatory arachidonic acid in beef that also have to be considered.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    . And meats like beef have been linked to diseases such as heart disease. Therefore, what constitutes a significant amount will depend on the amount required to have an inflammatory effect on the body. So what is that amount?

Also keep in mind that there are still other precursors for inflammatory arachidonic acid in beef that also have to be considered.

Grain fed beef, hormone enhanced beef, processed beef have been linked to heart disease, natural grass feed beef...no.

So in other words the same people who think soy is good, who think grains are good, who poison our livestock (and us) with grain and hormone enhanced beef have created that link.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 08-24-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Paleobird Guest
    Give it up James. A pro-soy, anti-beef campaign just doesn't work really well on a Primal site. You will have to find other forums for the soy industry lobby to pay you to post on.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Soy is also SHITE for the kidneys (very high oxalates)... I'll be sticking to cod fish in my miso soup.
    Yeah, I know the Miso part is a "cheat"... but replacing the tofu part is definitely healthier!

I'm hanging my head as I limit myself to a couple of bowls per year.
    *Edit- Yes, ANOTHER thing I have to give up.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Soy is also SHITE for the kidneys (very high oxalates)... I'll be sticking to cod fish in my miso soup.
    Yeah, I know the Miso part is a "cheat"... but replacing the tofu part is definitely healthier!

I'm hanging my head as I limit myself to a couple of bowls per year.
    *Edit- Yes, ANOTHER thing I have to give up.
    You could also cook up some eggs frittata style and then cut it into chunks for the soup. I think the egg would soak up the broth flavor nicely.
    I only have one kidney (born that way) so I like to take good care of it. Good to know about soy and oxalates.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The fermenting does not do away with the oxalates... there fore the Miso is as suspect as the tofu in this case... as are the other fermented products like soy sauce/tamari/tempeh.

In the case of tempeh and textured soy protein like "soy burgers" the oxalate leves are huge... as it becomes concentrated.

I'm sure for average folks with normal healthy kidneys, no big deal, drink lots of water and all...
    But with me on TWO meds which are both known for independently turning peoples kidneys into stone factories... and causing actual damage.
    Put both meds into one body and...
    I'll just stick the diet... and skip the soy most of the time.
    I'll save it for special indulgences.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    What? Seriously? Uggggggh.
    I don't understand your post, sorry.

You didn't know that WAPF promotes homeopathy? Or you can't understand my opposition to homeopathy?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    And again, people are not making meals out of beef fat. We are talking about beef. And furthermore, what is a significant amount? In other words, exactly how much omega 6 fatty acids does it take to promote inflammation? The reason I bring this up is because many things have major effects on the body in trace amounts such as hormones. And meats like beef have been linked to diseases such as heart disease. Therefore, what constitutes a significant amount will depend on the amount required to have an inflammatory effect on the body. So what is that amount?

No, mot people are not making meals out of beef fat (Knifegill, I know you do include tallow in your diet most days and that is awesome). But this fat is the same that is in the muscle meat that most people are eating. My only point, which you still seem to be ignoring, is that beef is very low in omega-6 fats, not "very high" as you claimed. Soybean oil is very high in omega-6 fats. Yes, edamame and most other soy products are fairly low in total fat, but let's take a look.

Since you seem hung up on me using beef fat instead of meat, let's use another example:

A 236g ribeye steak has 625 calories and 1 gram of omega-6 fats.
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, rib, eye, small end (ribs 10-12), separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, choice, cooked, broiled [ribeye]

A 180g serving of boiled green soybeans has 254 calories and 4.7g of omega-6 fats.
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Soybeans, green, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

So, for about half the calories, you're getting twice as much omega-6 from soybeans. Which one is high in omega-6? I can't tell, James. I need your superior scientific skills to help me figure this one out.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 08-25-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast