Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Approx. how much do you spend on groceries for one person? page 5

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm struggling so hard to keep my grocery costs down in the context of my full monthly budget. If I'm not paying attention, I can easily spend $450 a month just for myself, not counting non-food items. There's no real reason I couldn't keep it down to $300 with some effort. $75 a week should be more than sufficient in my area, even buying grass-fed/pastured meats and eggs and wild salmon, and shopping primarily at Whole Paycheck.

But I kind of suck at this whole grocery shopping thing. Le sigh.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I'm also spend about 25-30 (converted to dollars) per day, just for myself. I'm eating gross greek yogurt, and cheap bacon (almost 100% fat) I don't eat any beef but ground etc., however it's all grassfed and all that stuff. Unfortunately sometimes the prices lead me to eat chocolate bars or nut butters.
    Feel ya pain bro...when I vacayed at your necks of the wood, I pretty much spent half of my allowance on food. smh

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    All said and done, with coffee and tea, sugar for my Kombucha, occasional suet for tallow, etc., it probably ends up averaging 55 to 65 dollars a week for me. Whole Foods has really cheap grass-fed steak (tough cuts, cook 'em slow), pastured eggs for something like 5 or 6 dollars and often heart or other beef/chicken offal. The Ukraine Market has Aroy-D coconut milk for 89cents a box, and okinawan sweet potatoes so cheap I always think their cashier goofed. Grocery Outlet has canned oysters, black olives, avocados usually dirt cheap, and sometimes good soy-free dark chocolate. Trader Joe's has odds and ends bacon chunks for 2.99 a pound, frozen organic spinach for like 1.50 a bag and semi-acceptable meat and eggs if we didn't make it out to WF. We also eat lots of wild berries and I often gather nettle since it's better than spinach by far anyway, and free!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    according to my online banking "money map" i spend an average of 442.00 a month on food stuffs in general. this includes grocery shopping and occasional In n Out and Starbucks and supplies for guests. it probably also includes cat food and stuff.

i think this is a generous underestimate. :P i do occasionally pay cash for things so i'd bet my true average is a little over 500.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Hard for me to say, because most of my food (the bulk of my meat and veggies) is communal (with my 10+ roommates). Plus we have a garden and a sweet old Korean lady who gives us extras from her garden. Personally, I spend $200/month aside from our common pantry & garden on coconut milk, nuts, tuna, eggs, jerky, extra fruit, bacon, salmon, coconut oil, pork rinds, etc.

My guess is if I had to buy everything just for myself (1) I wouldn't eat as much organic or quality meats as I do and (2) I'd spend about $400 a month.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I spend $150-$200 a month on food for myself. My diet is mostly greens, butter/ghee, grassfed beef, seafood, avocados, tomatoes, lots of mustard, zucchini, carrots, kombucha, salsa, tea, and some raw/grassfed cheese.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    ? I assume that they are referring to a CSA produce box, though I could be wrong. It's typically a cheaper way to obtain large quantities of locally grown produce (if you have the people to eat it)
    I am guessing that some CSAs must not be based on the idea of "local," but "organic" with no rules about where the food comes from.
    In my area there is a CSA box program where everything comes from the farm with the program. I plan on using their service starting next year.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina* View Post
    I'm curious - approximately how much do you guys spend on groceries per person? TIA
    I buy primarily organic, whole foods and grass fed dairy products. I bet I spend $1200/mo easy for my family of 5. That is just grocery; not eating out or extras like coffee shop.
    Last edited by PHaselow; 08-22-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    I get my produce from a CSA, which I spent US$380 on for a 6-month single share. There are so many veggies, fruits, and berries that I've actually frozen about 1/4-1/3 of what I've gotten each week, so I think I'll be eating the stuff nearly all year.

Because of this, the only things we (house of 2) buy at the supermarket or farmer's market are canned goods (coconut milk, etc.), meat, dairy, eggs and alcohol. On average, I think we spend about US$90 per week.
    This is how I'd like to do it next summer. I tried CSA two years ago and wasted so much food... eating with a different attitude now. I know I'll be able to use 20lbs of kohlrabi if that's all I get, plus the less than perfect look of the produce won't bug me like it used to do (picky shopper). I'm impressed with many people's stories!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Converted to USD, I spend about $100 a week on my own food.

The quality here is luckily really amazing as well. I can't imagine being a student as I am right now and being primal in some of the other countries where food is lower quality and more expensive.

My bill only rises significantly if I start getting dark chocolate or nuts for snacks... I can easily spend $10 on an afternoon snack hahaha.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast