Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: home made meatballs page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I use ground beef, green pepper, onion, and spices. Brown in coconut oil, then let sautee in diced tomatoes. Pretty easy and gobbled up in my house!

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I make mine with lots of fresh vege as the 'filler'. Basically whatever I have lying around. Last night I used an onion, a carrot, some red capsicum, 4 mushrooms and diced them all up in the food processor. Then I mixed this all with about 500g of ground beef, some chopped garlic, a slosh of chili sauce, an egg and some Italian seasoning. Formed into small meatballs and put into a roasting dish in the oven for half an hour. Then I poured over a tomato sauce - saute onion and garlic in some olive oil then add 2x tins of chopped tomatoes and a slosh of balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper - and leave in hot oven for another 15 mins while I cooked pasta for the husband and peas for myself. My portion of meatballs was served on a bed of baby peas and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

primal me is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I don't have time to make meatballs I use a Mild/Spicy Italian pork sausage. They are free from wheat, using only spices. Once they are out of their casing it is easy to form them into balls or just chop them into thick slices and fry them up. I have been using sausage instead of ground meat in spaghetti sauce since I was in junior high because I like how the tomato sauce keeps its colour better. I followed that link on page 1 and I gotta say I can't wait to try it! We've been using spaghetti squash as our pasta since going primal and everyone really likes it and my first attempt at making primal meatballs was ok but I still fell back on the oatmeal I have always used in meatloaf. I won't be doing that any more! I like the idea of using a cheese, in our house it would be sheep's milk romano instead of parmesan as two of my sons are allergic to whey and casein.
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12