Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidney--have I finally met an organ I really do not like? page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Kidney--have I finally met an organ I really do not like?

Primal Fuel
    I put pork kidneys in the crock pot after soaking them for 2 hours in lemon juice, salt and water like my cookbook suggested. In the morning the kitchen definitely smelled like urine. I think the mistake I made was to leave the core of fat in the middle, but I thought it might be easier to remove after they were cooked and softer and easier to cut. I tasted one bit of kidney and it tastes like lemon so maybe they are okay. But I'm a little nervous to eat them.

My plan was to refrigerate them and then reheat for breakfast the next couple days but now I'm a little afraid of that urine smell. Normally I just reheat whatever odd meat I've slow-cooked and eat it plain, but now I'm thinking I might have to chop these up to mix in with other more palatable things like sausage or bacon or tomatoes and herbs.

Has anyone made kidneys before? What did you do with them?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I havn't tried pork kidneys, but I have some beef in the freezer. Mine came already prepared from the butcher, all I had to do was cook them up. I sautee'd them in a little butter and olive oil, then I added some tomato paste, and worchester sauce and then stired through some cream. I found the flavour very strong, and only managed a small amount. I can see why they are traditionally eaten on toast as you need something a little bland to go along with them. They might be good in a stirfry? Or with steak as part of a casserole, thats my plan for next time.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i eat all sorts of oogly bits but not kidneys. am wondering if you didn't soak them long enough?

my other limit is ruminant brains.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'll try anything twice. Once to get over the shock and once to taste it with an open mind. Kidneys only had one shot. That taste was so foul that I actually reseasoned my dutch oven to make sure it couldn't poison other, good food.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I tried beef kidney once and wasn't very fond of it. I first tried it just seared and it wasn't very tasty. So I made a kind of stew with garlic and mushrooms and that helped to cover up the flavor.

I also tried to render the fat from the inside after I trimmed it out. Bad mistake. I think it was because I had heard that kidney fat was prized as the best fat (at least in pigs), but I failed to make an important distinction: Fat around the outside of the kidney = good. Fat inside the kidney = very bad. Just toss it.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i'm with you, kidney is the only piece of offal i've simply never cared for. oh well, no kidneys!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I like kidneys. In hot pot is where they're at. I used to dip them in soy sauce/chopped ginger after briefly blanching them, but you could do so with any other salty sauce. Mmmmmm...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I ate the kidney this morning. I mixed it with pork sausage and smothered it in mustard. I could still taste the faint urine smell.

We have these trees in Santa Barbara that bloom every June. I heard once that some people wanted them banned and all cut down because they make the city smell like a concrete stairwell at a bus station. Until someone pointed that out, I never realized that the flowers kind of do smell like urine. I think it's like that with the kidneys. Once I heard they might have a urine smell, that was it. I was going to notice it and not be able to get past it. I can kind of also see how some people might actually like the taste, kind of get a kick out of the "tang." Not me, though. I don't think I will buy kidney again.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    good on you for trying it though.

for whatever reason at one of my local grocers monday seems to be weird meat day. other days it's all standard stuff. i bought almost 5 pounds of beef heart today and it's simmering away. it cost just over $6. it shrinks to about 1/2 its weight, but that's still a deal for quite a few lunches to pack this week.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    good on you for trying it though.

for whatever reason at one of my local grocers monday seems to be weird meat day. other days it's all standard stuff. i bought almost 5 pounds of beef heart today and it's simmering away. it cost just over $6. it shrinks to about 1/2 its weight, but that's still a deal for quite a few lunches to pack this week.
    Beef heart is awesome. I prefer it seared instead of stewed, but maybe I didn't stew it properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast