Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post cheat day coping? page 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Hmm I see what I mean. For me personally, My whey Protein with my Cream comes to aprox 220 calories and this REALLY fills me up. I tried the BP coffee with the aprox amount of calories and it did not have that same effect and I did not find bp yummy either. I find my strawberry flavoured Whey with Cream blended with ice, close to a strawberry milkshake and it is yummy AND filling for me. So I have no personal bias against bp coffee, some people swear by it. It is simple a personal choice of taste + satiety. Also I get 25g protein with whey which comes in handy on my heavy lifting days!
    That makes sense and I didnt really mean to single you out, it just happened your post mentioned what I was thinking about, in that both are meal replacements but one is fat and one is protein.

And sometimes I think I should try the protein shakes for a meal replacement, although I am not sure it would have the same affect that fat has towards the fasting benefits and that was always my goal? Anyways........ the shake sounds yummy.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    There is no cheating. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. There are non-primal indulgences or choices.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    Fat for breakfast is the way to go.
    Fruit for breakfast will leave you hungry in a couple of hours, the mid morning chocolate is making it worse. Bacon, eggs, and half an avocado will stuff you for hours. Save the fruit for the afternoon.

And I agree that cheat days are absolutely out of the question, they can spiral out of control and turn into days of shitty eating. I'm in the middle of a Whole30, and felt like cheating yesterday. I stuffed my self with fat, mostly pork sausages and nuts, and couldn't even entertain the idea of a cheat after that. Not even sure I can eat today, it may be a fasting day.
    I hear ya!! I just had 3 days of shitty eating after my daughters bday party where I indulged in cake, sausage rolls and cup cakes etc. HOWEVER, I ate less of it that I would normally have. I did TRY for some self control. lol

the_puma is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much, everyone! Yeah it makes sense to have something non liquid for breakfast... I think I really need to plan ahead because the main reason I do the shakes is that they save me time but perhaps the lack of having something to actually chew is messing with me. Will try the eggs and bacon thing, if I prepare it in advance it should be easy. I'm really trying to get myself to cook in advance so I don't have excuses like "well I had nothing and had to eat..."

I realize that I should not be having "cheat days" or indulgence days, whatever you may choose to call it so soon after starting but I also have an eating disorder so to me staying this strict is triggering a) the idea of counting carbs/calories/etc and b) the misery that comes with restricting that I did for years. It's something that I'm still learning to cope with. I am working towards being able to go without those non-primal indulgences though.

Someone said they consider a cheat day anything over 75g of carbs? Wow... my normal day is 80-90g. I also work out 3-5 times a week so I don't know if that requires more carbs. I don't do endurance a lot, mostly strength as well as some metabolic conditioning.

I will try to take all the advice to mind, thank you so much, this is great input and I will keep working on this. Changing your lifestyle this much does require a lot of fine tuning.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_puma View Post

I realize that I should not be having "cheat days" or indulgence days, whatever you may choose to call it so soon after starting but I also have an eating disorder so to me staying this strict is triggering a) the idea of counting carbs/calories/etc and b) the misery that comes with restricting that I did for years. It's something that I'm still learning to cope with. I am working towards being able to go without those non-primal indulgences though.
    If you are a binge eater, historically, then I think having a satisfying breakfast is even more important so you don't get yourself too hungry, overeat, and then restrict. Take a look at making an egg fritatta or crustless quiche that you can keep pre-sliced in the fridge for mornings. You can even make some Paleo *granola* bars. I have an eating disorder history so I get what you are trying to avoid. Just treating Paleo as another 'diet' instead of a lifestyle is a big mental block that I had to overcome. You know your triggers, and they will differ from mine, so offering a ton of advice is probably not that helpful. I actually rarely eat breakfast anymore unless it is a social situation. My body seems to like that 16hr fast period (7pm-11ish am).

I don't count carbs like others seem to do. I have eliminated all grains, I eat almost no fruit, and I am working on eliminating most sugars, so I am just assuming I am good on carbs. I don't want to fall into another way of eating that involves counting...

I wish you luck. There are so many primal indulgences out there! My friends had a Paleo picnic yesterday and I had brownies, pseudo hummus (roasted cauliflower based; yum!) and coconut ice cream to choose from!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Eat a twenty oz ribeye and 6 eggs for breakfast, you probably won't be hungry till dinner. You're welcome
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Eat a twenty oz ribeye and 6 eggs for breakfast, you probably won't be hungry till dinner. You're welcome
    Holy hell! A) That sounds delicious, and B) I think I could get sick before I finish all of that!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I can't plan "cheat days" because if I did, they'd happen in addition to my random unplanned moments of indulgence. I'm better off going with the flow.

That said, the first month or two of primal, I had to be 100% compliant, because I was desperately addicted to junk food. It took two months to kill my cravings, and a month or so longer than that to lose the emotional ups and downs related to food.

Now I can drop off the wagon for a bit and then get back on and go along as if nothing happened. I did that weekend before last, and now I'm back on track, no harm done. But it took time to reach the point where eating something sugary is just eating something sugary, instead of an emotionally loaded, addictive behavior that triggers more of the same.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Nothing better than a ribeye. That is the cut that ended my 6 month stint as a vegetarian a few years back. I think you are onto something...

I did finally take a look at BP coffee. I sometimes drink hot water with ghee so maybe I'll try adding some oils to my decaf. The way some of you load up your morning cup of coffee with fat and calories kind of grosses me out, I must say. Primal or not. Somebody said 40oz of BP? I'd be dead.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123