Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post cheat day coping? page 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The best thing is not to have a cheat day. Have a cheat item or a cheat meal at the most. Eating crap junk food is not a pleasure or a reward at all. Make your cheat something that has good healthy ingredients.
    I try to be good all the time, but that doesnt always happen. Especially not over the summer with all the extra company and cooking going on. I have yet to have an entire cheat day, but I have had an item here or there. Like a piece of pizza, but then try to also have lots of salad with it. I also try to off set it by getting back to the good stuff the next time I eat.

That being said, over the summer while the grandkids were here, it seemed like most days I had something I shouldnt have. Like I already said, one day it might be a slice of pizza, the next day a pancake, the next day a bun....and maybe if I tried really hard I could justify that as my 20% since it really was only one small part of an entire days worth of food, but none the less it resulted in about a 4 pounds weight gain. I was able to reign it back in with fasting. I know fasting shouldnt be used as a crutch like that, but it worked well for me. It would take me a week to get the weight back off and then maybe even an extra pound or two.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Shakes aren't going to be filling for very long because there's not as much digestive work for your body to do. Make some hardboiled eggs.
    This worked for me. My 20% is the breakfast smoothie, but the ol' tummy strarted making noise at 10:30. Add two hardboiled eggs and whoomp -- "what it's 1 pm already? I forgot to have lunch!"
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    well I get more stuffed with whey protein (I normally just have a scoop and a half with a quarter cup of cream keeping the carbs below 10g...I do not add bananas, nut etc) than if I had eggs. I also think that if weight loss is a priority, I would ditch adding the extra carbs that comes with the bananas and nuts and just add more cream or coconut oil even. It should keep u satiated until lunch. I am finding that whey might be stalling my loss though as it contains dairy, not concluded yet but will see in a week or so in that sense if dairy is a staller for you, then u might want to avoid whey completely on recovery days.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    I would ditch adding the extra carbs that comes with the bananas and nuts and just add more cream or coconut oil even. It should keep u satiated until lunch.
    I don't so much anymore, but sometimes when I fast, I add extra goodies like CO to my coffee, and I was just thinking this morning before I read this post, I was wondering why it is okay to have things like protein shakes to replace a meal, but ppl have a hard time accepting having a fat "shake" in place of a meal (bp coffee) which also keeps you satiated until lunch.

Not trying to argue, it was just one of those things that crossed my mind. I am sure there is a good explanation why it is considered different.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_puma View Post
    So I was wondering... for those of you who do have cheat days (planned or unplanned), how do you cope after a cheat day?

Right now, my typical breakfast (because I have no time in the morning) is a protein shake consisting of a banana/blueberries, coconut milk or lactose free milk, whey powder (New Zealand whey) and some almond butter. Seems filling... but it's not for long. I will usually have a couple of pieces of dark chocolate (80 cocoa or higher) to tide me over to lunch and a piece of cheese and nuts/seeds.

Can you recommend anything to add or substitute that might help?

Thanks, guys!
    My suggestion would be some 'real' protein for breakfast. Eggs or meat; even hard boiled eggs made prior and some beef jerky. For me, I don't stay full from shakes or powders; I need the food with the bulk and chew satisfaction. Plus, the sugars from the fruit and milk set me up for cravings. My piece or two of dark chocolate (even 85% or higher) winds up being 1/2 of the bar.

As far as coping with the days post-cheat. Lucky for me, eating gluten now makes me feel kind of gross for the following 2 days. So, I'm not hungry or comfortable feeling at all the following morning and that typically translates into not eating until early afternoon that day. I work out that morning and eat very plainly the rest of the day: salmon, veggies, lots of water (lots of water).

Try to go a solid month without a cheat day. Building in a day of cheating right away can set someone up for failure in the long run. It is so darned individual.

A while back I did some ayurvedic cleanse that had me drinking barley water with ghee/honey every morning. I sometimes do still drink the hot water with ghee only. Sounds gross, but I like it.

Even if you keep your shake and add 1 hard boiled egg (well, not to the shake) it might pull you through. Start your day with a big old glass of water and some probiotics.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I usually take it easy in terms of breakfast (something like coffee and watermelon) and go on a nice long walk to start the day - my cheat meal/day is usually on a weekend, so I have the time to do this. That helps me get things moving and starts flushing away the bloat, which to me is the most unpleasant side effect of a cheat day. Then I just try to load up on fruits and vegetables for the remainder of the day and limit calorie-dense foods like nuts to try and compensate for the debauchery of the preceding meals.

I'm post-cheat day right now, so I feel your pain!

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I usually take it easy in terms of breakfast (something like coffee and watermelon) and go on a nice long walk to start the day - my cheat meal/day is usually on a weekend, so I have the time to do this. That helps me get things moving and starts flushing away the bloat, which to me is the most unpleasant side effect of a cheat day. Then I just try to load up on fruits and vegetables for the remainder of the day and limit calorie-dense foods like nuts to try and compensate for the debauchery of the preceding meals.

I'm post-cheat day right now, so I feel your pain!
    Dude, if that is you in your dp, you are packing an IMPRESSIVE amount of muscle with great tone! (mean this is the most uncreepy way lol)

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I don't so much anymore, but sometimes when I fast, I add extra goodies like CO to my coffee, and I was just thinking this morning before I read this post, I was wondering why it is okay to have things like protein shakes to replace a meal, but ppl have a hard time accepting having a fat "shake" in place of a meal (bp coffee) which also keeps you satiated until lunch.

Not trying to argue, it was just one of those things that crossed my mind. I am sure there is a good explanation why it is considered different.
    Hmm I see what I mean. For me personally, My whey Protein with my Cream comes to aprox 220 calories and this REALLY fills me up. I tried the BP coffee with the aprox amount of calories and it did not have that same effect and I did not find bp yummy either. I find my strawberry flavoured Whey with Cream blended with ice, close to a strawberry milkshake and it is yummy AND filling for me. So I have no personal bias against bp coffee, some people swear by it. It is simple a personal choice of taste + satiety. Also I get 25g protein with whey which comes in handy on my heavy lifting days!

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    I see the OP is only 2 weeks in or so and at that point I would not be having a cheat day at all. You are only going to slow the transition from sugar burner to fat burner. Plus by being stricter you see results faster which means better ability to commit. If I had to cheat (and I RARELY cheat at all) I would make it one meal and then do a super low carb day the next.
    Male 37 Years Old
    210 LBs - 5/14/12 - SW
    180 LBs- 8/15/12 - CW
    ??? LBs- GW
    36"- Starting pant size
    32" - Current Pant size

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Dude, if that is you in your dp, you are packing an IMPRESSIVE amount of muscle with great tone! (mean this is the most uncreepy way lol)
    Heh, thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast