Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating a big piece of (crustless sugar-free) HUMBLE PIE page

The Tall Tree is offline Member

Eating a big piece of (crustless sugar-free) HUMBLE PIE

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I work out a fair bit. I haven't always, but over the last year, and particularly in the last few months, I've made big changes. I am now waiting to get into the Army, so I am doing my best to keep fit. I was, until discovering PBF, running almost every night, and punishing myself nightly with big work outs(one night upper body, the next night core and repeat ad infinitum, with one rest day).
    I did bench presses of three sets of 5-10 reps of 80+kgs. I was doing military presses of 3 x 5-10 reps of 70+kgs. My core routine was 3 sets of 20-30 frog crunches, and the same of... I dunno what they are called - you lie down, arms by your side, lift both legs together and then thrust you pelvis off the floor, then return but never put your feet down until the set is over - 'dirty bastards' I often called them. I'd finish with two sets of 10-15 decline (feet up - man, I looked tough) push-ups, some tricep dips and a token plank session.
    I was a god. Fit as a fiddle. Or so I thought...
    I ran through PBF 'Lift Heavy Things' tonight, and being somewhat cocky and self-assured, I did not do a self assessment. I jumped right in to the full form exercises.
    Well.... 32 push-ups in, I had to have a rest. FAIL. 29 Squats, the same deal. 6 - that right, 6, chin-ups, and I couldn't do another. Super-fail. The only thing I did properly both sets was the planks (which I breezed, I must admit). The other exercises were worse or the same on the second set, after 5 mins rest. So...
    I am doing Incline Push-ups next time, bench-squats, one-legged assisted chins, and full-form planks. Talk about being humbled.
    Anyone who says bodyweight exercises or PBF is not hardcore enough is pulling themselves profusely. I feel like I'd be copping out if I went back to the bench-press, and that is saying something.
    Yeah, I can do 30 push-ups in 2 mins, that's all the army requires for Special Forces applicants (and I am not applying for SF - I actually need only do 15 in 2 mins), but 50 straight - no bloody way.
    Tonight, I am knackered, humbled, sore and really quite happy.
    This stuff works.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    30 pushups in 2 mins for sf? Really? Either u need to check your facts or wherever your from has extremely low standards for a sf team

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    30 pushups in 2 mins for sf? Really? Either u need to check your facts or wherever your from has extremely low standards for a sf team
    Wherever you're from, you're rude.
    That is for entry INTO TRAINING, from civilian, with a direct entry scheme. And yes, I 'checked my facts'. You can read it here - Fitness in the ADF: Are you fit enough? - Defence Jobs Australia - Under 'Army', SFDRS.
    'Wherever I'm from' is Australia, as it says in my profile if you'd care to have checked. That's the big island in the southern hemisphere with the elite military that is helping the US and Britain in Afghanistan, Iraq, and every other war the US has started. Perhaps you should read this - The Australian Military Community - Special Air Service Regiment Read the part closely about selection.
    As for low standards, you need to do more sit-ups to get into Aus SF than the US Marines and Army Special Forces (check the 'facts'), and yes, to become a US Army Ranger, one must do fifty push-ups to qualify, but that is for someone already in the Army. Rangers only have to do 6 chin-ups. Soft! (not really, I am sure they get flogged, but this post annoyed me)
    Us Army Special Forces entry is a cumulative test, scoring up to 229. The minimum number of push-ups that can contribute to that score is 40.
    Doesn't seem like that big of a discrepancy, but perhaps where you are from has very low standards of education, as well people with bad manners.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    pushups minimum 50
    pullups minimum 10
    chin ups minimum 13
    Situps minimum 100
    No shuttle run but, 2.5km run in under 8:30
    Thats all entry level requirements for where I am from, which also happens to be ranked 3rd in the world as far as education goes (3 spots higher than your big island in the southern hemisphere).

I wasn't being rude. I was being factual. Those are low entry level standards. 30 pushups is nothing if you really think about it. You just wrote a post speaking about how out of shape you are, considering how "in shape" you THOUGHT you were, but even YOU can complete the SF requirements. Think about it. Then you said there was no way you could do 50 pushups in a row. So yes, I believe 30 pushups in 2 mins is a low standard. Get mad at me if you want, but dont let your love for your military cloud judgment.

The marines aren't SF. They are just a branch of the US military.

I dont know enough about Rangers, Green Berets, Delta ect... to comment on their requirements.

You can simmer down now. Go work on your frog crunches; those do wonders.

Ohhhhh. Sick burn.
    Being factual requires the expression of fact. you were giving opinion. A bit of a difference. I did get angry. I thought your comment was flippant, and ill-informed.
    Are the standards you quote for entrance from active service to special forces or civilian to special forces? Did you read the SASR page I linked in? If one wants to express 'fact', perhaps one should do their research. The requirements of Green Berets, Delta, Rangers etc... is just a Google search away. Making a comment like you did would be offensive to anyone serving in the Australian military, special forces or not, I would think. My 'love' for the military, as you so eloquently put it, is clouding nothing. I am not an active member of the military yet, and it is just a job, my friend.
    Yeah, Canada has a great education system, no denials here. I was being a bitch, for sure.
    BUT
    It is ranked 121st in military expenditures, while Australia sits at 46th. That by percentage of the GDP. Our Universities are ranked better than yours (Australia 16th Canada 20th) And to be a total bastard, you have more smack heads in Canada, too (Aus at 43rd with 0.40% of population and Junkiesville...er, I mean Canada at 31st and 0.50%) ;D But statistics don't really mean anything, right?
    I was actually going to post crime statistics, or IQ statistics, or unemployment stats, but Canada trumps Australia for all of them. I had to look hard for something Australians were statistically 'better' at. Holding a grudge and writing indignant forum replies, perhaps?
    Now, lets not fuss and fight any more, King. We've established the difference between fact and opinion, and also that Canada is actually a world leader in a lot of things, but Australians are generally cooler. Yeah?
    Consider me simmered down, and let's unite as brothers under the mighty Commonwealth, forever bonded by our love for Her Majesty the Queen.

steve.mull is offline Member
    Just chiming in for a sec here gents. Active duty U.S Army Infantry. For a US civilian entry into an SF job I don't believe there are any physical standards for them to pass. They way it works is all initial entry SF/Ranger Recruits will go to regular 15-16 week Infantry basic/advanced training. The standards to pass are as follows. 42 push ups in 2 minutes, 53 situps in 2 minutes, and a 2 mile run in 15:54. Now bear in mind these are the bear minimums to receive a passing grade for basic/advanced graduation only. Upon completion of training recruits will then go to Airborne school before moving on too SF/Ranger school. Remember when I said those scores were the "minimum". You never ever want to do just the minimum if you want to go to any specialized school. Sometimes even receiving a perfect score isn't enough. This was the case for my friend when he went to Airborne school. He scored a perfect 300 on his test (100% in each of the 3) and was held back in airborne just because the instructors can.

Anyways, the point I was getting too was just that the minimum scores aren't anything to even bother measuring because nobody wants a barely passing average joe in a highly specialized unit. I'm sure it is the same for most other countries as well. The other part of SF selection for US is that you can make it through the entire (65-70 days I believe) process and pass everything, and then not get selected for whatever reason. So even passing, and doing well isn't enough sometimes.

On a side note, the Canadian military had better looking females, but the Aussies had cooler weapons and uniforms. Just my 2 cents.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mull View Post
    , but the Aussies had cooler weapons and uniforms. Just my 2 cents.
    My brother-in-law works to specify equipment for the Aussie armed forces. As with most things in life, he has some shocking stories of red tape and provisioning bungles. Kind of scary that, despite this, the Aussies are the better equipped. Husband tells stories from his own time in the Aussie version of the TA (the reserves? dunno, I'm ignorant of all this stuff) and the proud traditions of the Aussie forces. In general, it seems that those in active service are older and better educated than their English and American cousins. Probably helps explain the - relative, clearly there have been some - dearth of war crimes / atrocities blamed on Australian troops.

I should say that husband is very proud and patrotic about the Aussie armed forces, despite the fact that he was out of tempo with the machismo of his fellow reservists, so my sources for this information are quite biased.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

They do seem to be a little older. The Romanians I've worked with as well we're also a lot older in general. Also looked uber rugged and had a tough competitive bar fighter sort of image.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.mull View Post
    Just chiming in for a sec here gents. Active duty U.S Army Infantry. For a US civilian entry into an SF job I don't believe there are any physical standards for them to pass. They way it works is all initial entry SF/Ranger Recruits will go to regular 15-16 week Infantry basic/advanced training. The standards to pass are as follows. 42 push ups in 2 minutes, 53 situps in 2 minutes, and a 2 mile run in 15:54. Now bear in mind these are the bear minimums to receive a passing grade for basic/advanced graduation only. Upon completion of training recruits will then go to Airborne school before moving on too SF/Ranger school. Remember when I said those scores were the "minimum". You never ever want to do just the minimum if you want to go to any specialized school. Sometimes even receiving a perfect score isn't enough. This was the case for my friend when he went to Airborne school. He scored a perfect 300 on his test (100% in each of the 3) and was held back in airborne just because the instructors can.

Anyways, the point I was getting too was just that the minimum scores aren't anything to even bother measuring because nobody wants a barely passing average joe in a highly specialized unit. I'm sure it is the same for most other countries as well. The other part of SF selection for US is that you can make it through the entire (65-70 days I believe) process and pass everything, and then not get selected for whatever reason. So even passing, and doing well isn't enough sometimes.

On a side note, the Canadian military had better looking females, but the Aussies had cooler weapons and uniforms. Just my 2 cents.
    Thank-you sir, I should have made that point as well. MINIMUM standards is the keyword. I shouldn't have really got that worked up about it, I know, but it stuck in my throat.
    I really wanted to emphasise that to be a commando in the Aus Army, one could apply straight away from civy, but still has to undergo 10 weeks of basic training, then heaps more employment training specific to the job. The SAS is even harder to get into, and I think its the same - you can complete the course and still not get selected, and they drive them HARD. Special Forces is Special Forces, and too hardcore for the likes of little old me, anyway. A big thumbs up to anyone who can do it in any military, I reckon. Infantry as well, for that matter. I am waiting to begin BT and then of to Sigs school (Communications). I think you GI's are mad, but in a good way.
    Oh, and that's the Candadian MEN you are refering to - they just look like gals, what with all the make-up and the suspenders. The Canadian women are all here, in Aus, shagging our troops. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by The Tall Tree View Post
    Thank-you sir, I should have made that point as well. MINIMUM standards is the keyword. I shouldn't have really got that worked up about it, I know, but it stuck in my throat.
    I really wanted to emphasise that to be a commando in the Aus Army, one could apply straight away from civy, but still has to undergo 10 weeks of basic training, then heaps more employment training specific to the job. The SAS is even harder to get into, and I think its the same - you can complete the course and still not get selected, and they drive them HARD. Special Forces is Special Forces, and too hardcore for the likes of little old me, anyway. A big thumbs up to anyone who can do it in any military, I reckon. Infantry as well, for that matter. I am waiting to begin BT and then of to Sigs school (Communications). I think you GI's are mad, but in a good way.
    Oh, and that's the Candadian MEN you are refering to - they just look like gals, what with all the make-up and the suspenders. The Canadian women are all here, in Aus, shagging our troops. ;D
    Yes, it does take a special breed to want/enjoy being a grunt. It's def the best job I've ever had. No comment on the Canadian situation though lol. Good luck to you in your training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast